iShopUSA
    I have noticed that several of the merchants that I deal with are using a service called iShopUsa to ship International.

Reading one of my merchants, "has partnered with a trusted third-party company, iShopUSA to fulfill orders for our international customers. Simply put any items you wish to purchase in your shopping cart and choose the "international checkout" option. The items will automatically be transferred into an iShopUSA cart. You may pay with international credit cards, PayPal and bank wire transfers. iShopUSA will process your payment and guarantee delivery. Once your order is completed, all inquiries should be directed to iShopUSA Customer Service Department."

Does this mean that iShopUsa will overwrite my affiliate code and I lose whatever commission that I would have earned?
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 13th, 2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Adding links
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Good question!! I personnally do not promote merchants that use iShopUsa or other like them! (I also would not shop their)
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I don't know about iShopUsa personally but can tell you how this works and how it effect you. Am working with a local merchant to integrate their international shipper into the affiliate pixel (program).

When a merchant doesn't ship internationally they may choose to work with a third party. To ship internationally even to Canada from the US you have to handle several additional steps and have additional expertise. Shipping costs are more complex, duties need to be added to the order, VAT may need to be added and collected, customs forms must accompany the order.

When the consumer chooses an international delivery address the transaction data is passed to the third party shipper. At that point they feed back the costs and additional information request to the consumer and in essence own the consumer data (hence: all inquiries should be directed to iShopUSA Customer Service Department).

At this point the third party shipper is a drop shipper and working on a wholesale basis with the merchant. This is important to understand as they will take 10-20% of the cost of sale less shipping, duties and pay the merchant the remainder. Many merchants do not have enough gross margin to offer affiliates a commission on international orders. If international is not integrated into the affiliate program the order in essence disappears from the transaction path and no commission is paid.

If you find your merchants offering international shipping then check the terms to see if it is commissioned. If not specified contact the merchant to have them clarify.

If the merchant does commission on international sales and you market internationally you can gain an incremental increase in sales. If not then keep that out of your promotions.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 13th, 2011 at 07:55 PM.

15 years and counting
    The items will automatically be transferred into an iShopUSA cart.
    The international payment is not going to trigger the tracking pixel in your merchant cart (because the items have been transfered in an other cart).
    It means the sale will not be reported.

It is possible to add the international payment to the pixel and takes additional integration.

I have sent an email to BestBuyEyeglasses seeking an answer. My international business has been increasing lately, mainly to the UK, and I don't want to give my commissions away.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

No response. I notice a trend where emails to merchants asking them questions or even letting them know that there is a problem with their site or data feed gets no response.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    After seeing this thread, I sent a couple of merchants emails asking about commissions and this type of shipping - none replied! Smells fishy.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

I just sent an email to Black Forest Decor that uses a company called International Shipping.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I set a question to PlumberSurplus program and InternationalShipping is what they use also, even for US orders to APO/FPO/Territories/Outlying states. There is no reason to use a third party for most of those sales except that UPS can't do it. If they had a reasonably competent shipping department they would be using the cheaper services of the USPS for most of those shipments.

15 years and counting
    I checked the affiliate agreements of the merchants using these third parties before my first post in this thread. Not one is (was) mentioning you will not get paid for Int'l shipping, some even promote this as an advantage for the affiliate.
    Last edited by Zeus; June 8th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I checked the affiliate agreements of the merchants using these third parties before my first post in this thread. Not one is (was) mentioning you will not get paid for Int'l shipping, some even promote this as an advantage for the affiliate.
    Then the merchants that are receiving our emails asking for verification that we don't lose our commissions should have no problem responding. However, all I hear is silence. I learned a long time ago, what a merchant puts in their agreement is not always what the bottom line is.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

14. Thanks From:

For situations like this I use the credit collection technique. First send a professionally written email to the affiliate manager. After a reasonable time frame (tracked on your calendar) I make a call, leaving a voice message. This is followed up with a 2nd Request email. On the third round I do the previous and fax the 3rd Request email. I generally give each step two business days.

In my experience the AM doesn't have the answer and is dependent on a higher manager. Regardless it is professional etiquette to let you know they are working on it. Recently I talked to a $500k a year commissioned affiliate I no longer directly work with. She was pissed that her top program we not tracking for the last three days. I told her to call the president of the agency managing it and it would be fixed in a day.

Well, what do you know. My email to BestBuyEyeglasses has generated this e-mail that I received

"BestBuyEyeglasses.com has decided to modify the terms of our campaigns to specifically cater to US and Canada traffic only. Our site offers International Shipping option and this service was provided by our fulfillment partner through an external shopping cart. We have attempted to make tracking of international sales possible through this checkout process, however due to the technical difficulties and incompatibilities, unfortunately we are forced to close out this international channel to our affiliates as tracking of affiliate sales was not feasible. This decision was made to ensure that our affiliates earn the full amount of commissions through campaign sales that they have contributed, and prevent any potential loss of commissions due to untracked sales should this channel be open to our affiliates."

I guess if you see that iShopUSA is handling the international business, you won't be getting any commissions.

Now I have an email out for a merchant that also uses InternationalShipping, but can't get a response from them.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 13th, 2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: adding links
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

17. Thanks From:

iShopUSA:They are not actually a shop. They are simply a shipping agent. You tell them where the goods are coming from and they act as the US address, then forward to you. So if some company or vendor refuse to sell to here, you can still buy from them. So unless they take money from the vendor, or sidestep and go to the manufacturer, or charge me, I can't see what's inn it for them.

They generally work as a wholesaler and get the sale via the merchant site. So they make money on every sale sent to their cart. If someone wants to run down the contact info I am happy to place a call to iShopUSA. I would think they would be interested in increasing their revenue by integrating into the merchants affiliate program.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    They generally work as a wholesaler and get the sale via the merchant site. So they make money on every sale sent to their cart. If someone wants to run down the contact info I am happy to place a call to iShopUSA. I would think they would be interested in increasing their revenue by integrating into the merchants affiliate program.
    off their website - If you would like to talk to a customer representative, please don't hesitate to call us at +1 310 324 9000.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread