Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,307
    Do Antalytics make a difference?
    Hi,

    I have never really paid attention to Anatytics and I think that I am ready to use them now.

    The questions I have are:

    1. Does it help to follow G html suggestions?

    2. What do you recommend I watch for?


    Thanks for your time

  2. #2
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    Not sure where to begin on this one.

    At the VERY least, I'd make sure you have your web analytics tool set up to track your e-commerce completions, so you can track them back to sources.

    Google Analytics and Piwik are both free for higher volume sites, and effective.

    And do they make a difference? Oh golly yes.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  3. #3
    Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Not sure where to begin on this one.

    At the VERY least, I'd make sure you have your web analytics tool set up to track your e-commerce completions, so you can track them back to sources.

    Google Analytics and Piwik are both free for higher volume sites, and effective.

    And do they make a difference? Oh golly yes.
    Thank you Kevin,

    I got Google Analytics setup on my site but I am not really sure how to try what you have just said neither do I really know what it means and what it will do for me.

    I have tried to read their instructions but I am the type of person that like to see how things are done.

    What I am actually doing today is not even Analytics, I have actually started to use webmaster tools and doing some diagnostics and found a lot of products and pages with the same meta descriptions.

    Does this help me to get better ranking if I add individual descriptions to each page and block the ones that I can not add descriptions to, such us /tags ?

    I am very happy to know that Analytic help, that would mean I can get better conversions and traffic.

    My overall bounce rate is 39 % is that too much? How do I lower this ? My thinking would be to somehow find out which keywords make people leave.

    What bounce rate really means? Is it when they hit back button?

  4. #4
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    Tell you what. I'll write a blog post about this and then paste some of the pertinents here. It's a good topic, and I'll bet a lot of newer ecommerce companies might be in the same boat as you.

    As for your specific question on bounce rate, you are correct. It's generally 1 page view, with no click actions taken. They may have called you though, so not all hope is lost on a bounce.

    As for 39%, it's tough to say. For your kind of product (assuming we're talking about your e-com site), I'd say you can reduce this by maybe making related products more visible, AND, making them REALLY related. (You happen to already do this... I'm speaking in general)

    Get a feel for keywords that have a high bounce rate.. Are they very specific searches? Long tail kind of stuff? If so, the image they see when they get to your site may have JUST missed on what they were looking for.

    3 small images of similar tiles with links above the fold may well entice a click to a new product.
    Last edited by Kevin; June 3rd, 2011 at 07:03 AM.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  5. #5
    Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Tell you what. I'll write a blog post about this and then paste some of the pertinents here. It's a good topic, and I'll bet a lot of newer ecommerce companies might be in the same boat as you.

    As for your specific question on bounce rate, you are correct. It's generally 1 page view, with no click actions taken. They may have called you though, so not all hope is lost on a bounce.

    As for 39%, it's tough to say. For your kind of product (assuming we're talking about your e-com site), I'd say you can reduce this by maybe making related products more visible, AND, making them REALLY related. (You happen to already do this... I'm speaking in general)

    Get a feel for keywords that have a high bounce rate.. Are they very specific searches? Long tail kind of stuff? If so, the image they see when they get to your site may have JUST missed on what they were looking for.

    3 small images of similar tiles with links above the fold may well entice a click to a new product.
    Thanks Kevin,

    Looking forward to your Blog post.

    Yeah, sometimes I wonder if it is better to have featured products on the front page or 3 or more small images with the products am selling and they are searching for.

    One time I have put 3 installation videos on the front page. But of course not using Analytics have no idea what happened.

  6. #6
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    Well, you still have 1 important piece of analytics: Revenue

    That's your first and primary indicator.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  7. #7
    Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,307
    I think I need a class on this one too ';-)

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador daiarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Wales
    Posts
    602
    I have set up Google Analytics for my site and copied the code to my WP header page, however, one video tutorial I watched suggested setting GA up as a WP plugin would be more beneficial.

    I ran a search and see there are many alternatives, is there a particular plugin that anyone can recommend.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post
    2. What do you recommend I watch for?
    That really depends on what your desired outcome is. Kevin's blog will probably explain in more detail.

    You can find out what keywords are bringing you traffic, and which ones are not. You can find out the path your viewers take through your website, where you lose them, and what interests them most. You will have a better idea of where your traffic is coming from.

    So much to watch for, welcome to data overload!

  10. #10
    Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe-Shopping-Spree View Post
    That really depends on what your desired outcome is. Kevin's blog will probably explain in more detail.

    You can find out what keywords are bringing you traffic, and which ones are not. You can find out the path your viewers take through your website, where you lose them, and what interests them most. You will have a better idea of where your traffic is coming from.

    So much to watch for, welcome to data overload!
    Thanks for your comment. One thing that would be good to know is which key phrases convert into sales.

  11. Thanks From:

  12. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    I have set up Google Analytics for my site and copied the code to my WP header page, however, one video tutorial I watched suggested setting GA up as a WP plugin would be more beneficial.

    I ran a search and see there are many alternatives, is there a particular plugin that anyone can recommend.

    Thanks
    I use "Google Analytics for WordPress" plug in. Was easy to use even with my limited knowledge.

  13. Thanks From:

  14. #12
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    Back from my "vacation", so I'll probably write this tonight. As for a plug in, i have been using Yoast's Google Analytics for Wordpress.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  15. Thanks From:

  16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Does cleaning up links really make a difference?
    By mBenz-7 in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM
  2. Does using nofollow make a difference?
    By Cav in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
  3. Can one man make a difference? T-shirts please!
    By sfcom in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM
  4. Does it make a difference?
    By Wayder in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 12th, 2002, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •