Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Do Antalytics make a difference?
    Hi,

I have never really paid attention to Anatytics and I think that I am ready to use them now.

The questions I have are:

1. Does it help to follow G html suggestions?

2. What do you recommend I watch for?

Thanks for your time

Not sure where to begin on this one.

At the VERY least, I'd make sure you have your web analytics tool set up to track your e-commerce completions, so you can track them back to sources.

Google Analytics and Piwik are both free for higher volume sites, and effective.

And do they make a difference? Oh golly yes.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Not sure where to begin on this one.

At the VERY least, I'd make sure you have your web analytics tool set up to track your e-commerce completions, so you can track them back to sources.

Google Analytics and Piwik are both free for higher volume sites, and effective.

And do they make a difference? Oh golly yes.
    Thank you Kevin,

I got Google Analytics setup on my site but I am not really sure how to try what you have just said neither do I really know what it means and what it will do for me.

I have tried to read their instructions but I am the type of person that like to see how things are done.

What I am actually doing today is not even Analytics, I have actually started to use webmaster tools and doing some diagnostics and found a lot of products and pages with the same meta descriptions.

Does this help me to get better ranking if I add individual descriptions to each page and block the ones that I can not add descriptions to, such us /tags ?

I am very happy to know that Analytic help, that would mean I can get better conversions and traffic.

My overall bounce rate is 39 % is that too much? How do I lower this ? My thinking would be to somehow find out which keywords make people leave.

What bounce rate really means? Is it when they hit back button?

Tell you what. I'll write a blog post about this and then paste some of the pertinents here. It's a good topic, and I'll bet a lot of newer ecommerce companies might be in the same boat as you.

As for your specific question on bounce rate, you are correct. It's generally 1 page view, with no click actions taken. They may have called you though, so not all hope is lost on a bounce.

As for 39%, it's tough to say. For your kind of product (assuming we're talking about your e-com site), I'd say you can reduce this by maybe making related products more visible, AND, making them REALLY related. (You happen to already do this... I'm speaking in general)

Get a feel for keywords that have a high bounce rate.. Are they very specific searches? Long tail kind of stuff? If so, the image they see when they get to your site may have JUST missed on what they were looking for.

3 small images of similar tiles with links above the fold may well entice a click to a new product.
    Last edited by Kevin; June 3rd, 2011 at 07:03 AM.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Tell you what. I'll write a blog post about this and then paste some of the pertinents here. It's a good topic, and I'll bet a lot of newer ecommerce companies might be in the same boat as you.

As for your specific question on bounce rate, you are correct. It's generally 1 page view, with no click actions taken. They may have called you though, so not all hope is lost on a bounce.

As for 39%, it's tough to say. For your kind of product (assuming we're talking about your e-com site), I'd say you can reduce this by maybe making related products more visible, AND, making them REALLY related. (You happen to already do this... I'm speaking in general)

Get a feel for keywords that have a high bounce rate.. Are they very specific searches? Long tail kind of stuff? If so, the image they see when they get to your site may have JUST missed on what they were looking for.

3 small images of similar tiles with links above the fold may well entice a click to a new product.
    Thanks Kevin,

Looking forward to your Blog post.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if it is better to have featured products on the front page or 3 or more small images with the products am selling and they are searching for.

One time I have put 3 installation videos on the front page. But of course not using Analytics have no idea what happened.

Well, you still have 1 important piece of analytics: Revenue

That's your first and primary indicator.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I think I need a class on this one too ';-)

I have set up Google Analytics for my site and copied the code to my WP header page, however, one video tutorial I watched suggested setting GA up as a WP plugin would be more beneficial.

I ran a search and see there are many alternatives, is there a particular plugin that anyone can recommend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post
    2. What do you recommend I watch for?
    That really depends on what your desired outcome is. Kevin's blog will probably explain in more detail.

You can find out what keywords are bringing you traffic, and which ones are not. You can find out the path your viewers take through your website, where you lose them, and what interests them most. You will have a better idea of where your traffic is coming from.

So much to watch for, welcome to data overload!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe-Shopping-Spree View Post
    That really depends on what your desired outcome is. Kevin's blog will probably explain in more detail.

You can find out what keywords are bringing you traffic, and which ones are not. You can find out the path your viewers take through your website, where you lose them, and what interests them most. You will have a better idea of where your traffic is coming from.

So much to watch for, welcome to data overload!
    Thanks for your comment. One thing that would be good to know is which key phrases convert into sales.

11. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    I have set up Google Analytics for my site and copied the code to my WP header page, however, one video tutorial I watched suggested setting GA up as a WP plugin would be more beneficial.

I ran a search and see there are many alternatives, is there a particular plugin that anyone can recommend.

Thanks
    I use "Google Analytics for WordPress" plug in. Was easy to use even with my limited knowledge.

13. Thanks From:

Back from my "vacation", so I'll probably write this tonight. As for a plug in, i have been using Yoast's Google Analytics for Wordpress.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

15. Thanks From:

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread