OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Groupon Launches Deal Site With Expedia
    Saw this article and wondered if that was a benefit for affiliates too?

Groupon Launches Deal Site With Expedia - WSJ.com

My guess is that it does not, I always said they will start competing with their own affiliates. This is just another example.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Actually, affiliates will earn commission on those purchases as well...it's just extended inventory!

Kevin, I know that we will continue to disagree on this point, but I don't think Groupon has ever prevented anyone from doing what we are doing. I think the key difference is that we have the system in place to enable consumers to purchase an option to buy something in the future at a discounted price. That's not a typical affiliate model.

We've got the shopping cart, the reporting, the sales team, the customer service team, we've got 7,000 people really trying to make things work. This is the first company that I've worked at that's given me all the resources I need to really grow an affiliate channel. (And you know I don't say that lightly.) I've got a great team here that works with every single affiliate that contacts us. Julia, Matt, Elizabeth, Derek, Rick and myself...we care about what we do. I'm trying not to take it personally, but I certainly would not have given up five years at ShareASale without a good amount of faith in Groupon.

4. Thanks From:

As I said before I have all the respect in the world for you and that has not changed.

I just do not understand why affiliates are willing to promote Groupon. I guess I know the answer and that is they like you. My guess if anyone else was running the program people here would be bring up alot of negative concerns about Groupon. Not the company but how it does and will effect affiliates in the long run.

Kevin..........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Kevin - I don't see the point why Groupon should be not treated by affiliates as one other merchant/store to promote.

I have great respects to Carolyn but that is not the sole reason why we associate with Groupon as an affiliate!.

Groupon is another buisness model .. another merchant .. whose business model apparently is currently pretty hot and millions of consumers are loving them. An affiliate should be loving to promote Groupon regardless who is managing the program. Having our beloved Carolyn at the helm should just be one more reason to work with them!

ABW Ambassador
    As an affiliate, it is easier for me to get the sale via Groupon (as Groupon already has that coupon / deal aspect to it) than getting a booking done via Expedia even with Expedia's now and then coupons!.

I think Groupon/Expedia will have a good run in the travel space that takes on hotwire / priceline non-transparent (bidding) model to task!

ABW Ambassador
    Full Disclosure: I do love Groupon also as a consumer in addition to promoting Groupon as an affiliate!.

I may have dismayed at the Wall Street or VC valuations of Groupon ... But we know that Wall Street has a history with pump and dump, dot com bubble and burst, herd mentality, etc.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread