Affiliate Manager
    Merchant Affiliate program or etailer affiliate Program
    To avoid channel conflicts, is it common for advertisers to split up their software titles by channel? For example, some Adobe software titles are sold through the Adobe affiliate program, others only through large resller affiliate programs such as Newegg and some products are sold through both channels -

What's the best practice? As affiliate manager I'm trying to make a case here and have as many software titles as possible be sold through our own affiliate program -

Thanks
    Bernard

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Bernard, in my experience the only reason to exclude from affiliates is a wholesale/drop ship relationship. Those are considered dealers and allowed to run through their own carts. Software is a different animal though. In that case I could see a difference based on multi packs which affiliates wouldn't sell. Or if tech support by a dealer is required including training it wouldn't lend itself to the affiliate channel.

Generally channel conflicts would be between internal/agency paid search and affiliates. Other channels would be display ads, email (acquisition), loyalty, etc.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Chuck! I can see your point about multi packs or training ad ons that an affiliate could not fulfill - but apart from that there shouldn't be any restrictions on what sort of software titles affiliates can sell? What would you say is the major advantage for software publishers to sell through their own affiliate program plus allowing large etailers to sell through the etailer affiliate program/cart like in the Adobe example? Would it simply be to increase reach?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Large etailers are spending a lot to market their brand. Most affiliates will not build a site for you and market for a specific niche your product may fit. Generally they are using organic search to drive traffic, retention emails and low PPC. A large etailers could be spending $10+ a month driving traffic via PPC, display ads, email, etc. A large etailers would expect a much higher margin versus and affiliate. As I see it affiliate channels cost approx. 25% where wholesale channels 40-50% versus full retail.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread