Warning: Before You Ever Promote Another eBay Link...
    I never really expected I'd ever receive "the email" but I did today. It's strange that I'm not freakin out just a little bit - I mean eBay has been my source of part-time income for a long time now. I'm no big wig - I'd estimate I earned $5k to $7k annually from eBay.

I didn't do anything shady all of the sudden that would warrant them doing this. Only thing I can tell is their algo somehow indicated to them that my traffic has been low quality - yet they paid me over $500 last month.

I really think this is a blessing in disguise for me. eBay has become so unpredictable that they really aren't a decent affiliate program to promote anymore - especially when they can just drop veteran affiliates at the drop of a hat. I had already began focusing my attention towards other programs so they obviously have given me great motivation to move forward.

After devoting much of the last five years of my life to eBay's affiliate program (as I "had" multiple real jobs, have a wife, and have children) and after being my very first merchant who I loyally stuck with through all of their changes (from CJ to in house, through all the epc problems)...if your on the fence as whether to continue promoting ebay or if your new and considering starting to promote eBay....let my past 5 years of investing time into promoting eBay be a warning to you as this is the exact same email they will send you without warning just as they sent me today:

"Thank you for your participation in the eBay Partner Network.
    After a thorough review of your account, our team has determined that your account has been generating low quality traffic as gauged by our internal measures. We wanted to bring to your attention that our team has decided to terminate your account on June 9th, 2011. We ask that you please remove your affiliate links and update your payment information within 3 days. You will not be compensated for any traffic associated with your account after that date. If your payment and tax information have been entered and your account has generated more than twenty-five units of your payment currency, your pending earnings will be paid by the next payment cycle . You are not permitted to rejoin the eBay Partner Network.
    As stated in the ePN Network Agreement Section (L)(3)(a):
    (3) Termination by ePN or an Advertiser
    a. ePN may terminate this Agreement and your account, one of your websites, your use of a Promotional Method or your participation in a certain Program at any time for convenience in its sole discretion upon 3 days notice. An Advertiser may terminate your participation in its Program or your use of a Promotional Method at any time for convenience in its sole discretion upon 3 days notice.
    Again, we thank you for your efforts and wish you the best of luck. At this time, we are not reconsidering our decision.
    Regards,
    The eBay Partner Network Quality Team"
    ---------
    endnote:

I know this email didn't shock my God off His throne -- He is my Provider and I trust He will lead me to greener pastures so I have peace about this.

When I was a rookie affiliate I found my home here at ABW and I've been blessed by many in this subforum over the last several years - you've really helped me grow as an affiliate and I appreciate it very much. I have no need to hang out in this subforum any longer apparently so unless I see you in another program forum I wish you all the best!
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Man that is so cold and so typical of the times we affiliates live in. They make it sound like you are without redemption and your history counts for naught. It was probably done by an algorithm and no human even knows of it. That's easier to hope for since we can't think of a person being that way. Makes me glad I never vested any time with them and sure I never will.

I really admire your calm perspective.

Total BS Ebay should respond. It could be a mistake on their part.

15 years and counting
    I quit promoting them a long time ago. These ebay people don't deserve our business. They have quite a long history...

5. Thanks From:

I've stated before that the more complex a compensation plan, the more a merchant is looking for reasons NOT to pay affiliates. I know there are many that have made considerable incomes with Ebay, but Ebay is the poster child for overly complex compensation plans and have shown time and time again that they don't value or respect their affiliates. The fact that most affiliates have no idea what they are earning at any given time should have been a red flag for most, but if you needed more reasons to abandon this program...

Good luck GoColts, now you're free to dedicate your time to programs that aren't as arrogant as Ebay.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

7. Thanks From:

I've stated before that the more complex a compensation plan, the more a merchant is looking for reasons NOT to pay affiliates.
    It's still coming...

News Headlines

Diversify!
    This is a reminder that all publishers should strive to diversify their revenue sources.

I'm very nervous right now that more than 50% of my current advertising revenue comes from a single merchant, with Amazon's advertising fees representing another 25-30%.

Why am I nervous?

• Several years ago, I had a bad experience with the same merchant (who now represents more than 50% of my advertising revenue). In late 2007, our highly profitable relationship abruptly changed: the merchant's conversion rate for the traffic I sent dropped by 50% due to a web-site change, and then the next month, another web-site change slashed the conversion rate by another 50% (so my earnings were just 25% of what I'd earned a few months earlier). If this happened again, I'd lose more than 40% of my total advertising revenue.
    • I know that California is extremely likely to enact an "affiliate nexus" tax law, and when they do so, Amazon will terminate its advertising relationship with me, wiping out 25% to 30% of my revenue overnight.

Thus, I could lose 65% of my advertising revenue at any moment.

I'm going to spend some time this week looking for some alternatives: some merchants who sell the same or similar products, who have (or might be persuaded to add) affiliate programs. Unfortunately, it will be hard to match the high advertising rate from my largest advertiser, and I've never found a merchant with conversion rates as high as Amazon's (for this niche).

I'm also seriously considering creating a new online store offering certain products, so that I would "become a merchant" (using drop-shipping and eBook-delivery services). Earlier this year, I rejected this option because I estimated that such a store would merely poach sales from my #1 advertiser, and probably wouldn't increase my total earnings -- but now I realize that doing so would substantially reduce the risk of an abrupt loss of revenue. (Yes, of course I've considered that my new store could have its own affiliate program to draw sales from other publishers.)
    Last edited by markwelch; June 4th, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

EPN has been out of control for a long time.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    It's still coming...

News Headlines
    Wow, great find! I'm going to start a thread for that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    PJ sent out this info in an email to affiliates on June 2
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I guess you can tell who still refuses to be a PJN affiliate.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I joined late last year, put up a couple of banners for one Thanksgiving-related product, the merchant closed their program, and I haven't touched PJ since.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I did send eBay an internal email from my epn login just to get confirmation that someone didn't send me a spoof email or something. It's amazing how fast they'll respond to your inquiry if your asking about account terminations. I received a response the next day! Here it is:

"Thank you for your email with regards to your eBay Partner Network
    account.

I have checked your account and I regret to confirm that the email you
    are asking about was sent by eBay Partner Network, indeed.

The Network Quality Team has confirmed that your account has been
    generating low quality traffic. You will be expired from the network on
    June 9th, 2011.

Thank you for your understanding. ()

Kind regards,

Katalina Paez
    eBay Partner Network Support "
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts View Post

I really think this is a blessing in disguise for me. eBay has become so unpredictable that they really aren't a decent affiliate program to promote anymore
    We never were an Ebay affiliate, but have sold product via that channel. In so many ways, Ebay is not a reliable business partner.

There are better options. In the future you will thankful that you moved on.

New thread posted related to this thread: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/ebay-...te-145533.html

New thread posted related to this thread: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/ebay-...te-145533.html
    This is sad for sure. It enforces my bias against working with the big players out there.

Seems like your story should be done up a little more polished on one of your own domains. I read it all but it was hard on my eyes. I know you were tired and ticked off, but maybe later when you are more peaceful.

Thanks again for sharing it. It's real hard to believe that a company can be that crappy.

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    This is sad for sure. It enforces my bias against working with the big players out there.

Seems like your story should be done up a little more polished on one of your own domains. I read it all but it was hard on my eyes. I know you were tired and ticked off, but maybe later when you are more peaceful.

Thanks again for sharing it. It's real hard to believe that a company can be that crappy.
    On the bottom of your browser in scribd it gives you the option to zoom out to make it easier to read. I appreciate your feedback(s) and recently looked over some of the threads you started here on ABW and am really impressed by your knowledge and skills.

I really appreciate this thread. It came up in Google search results as I was considering advising a super affiliate to work with eBay's World of Good. I've never had the chance (thankfully) to work with eBay as they rejected my application without even telling me why....probably because I'm in New York.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments....Looks like I won't be advising any affiliates to work with eBay. Makes you wonder if eBay even reads stuff like this, or even cares. Well, they should! If they aren't willing to change and flow with the times, it will be the eventual demise of their program.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks for the feedback GreenAffMan and glad my negative experience in this thread was able to help you make an informed decision how to respond to your friend.

The sting has long been gone now from the day I originally started this thread. As stated in faith above on 6/4/11:

"I know this email didn't shock my God off His throne -- He is my Provider and I trust He will lead me to greener pastures so I have peace about this. "

Only 17 months after writing that comment...I was compelled to obtain a real estate license and entered the world of real estate investing. "Greener pastures" indeed...so again, Thank You eBay...you actually helped me get to where I needed to be by forcing me to re-focus what I was doing with my time to reach my ultimate objectives.

Update 12-9-12

This is totally not to boast or brag but I like returning to this thread periodically to reflect. Sometimes we work are butts off in life and seem to be only chasing the wind with no sustaining fruit and sometimes we get knocked down when we were innocent and trying as hard as we could.

Ebay knocked me down but because they knocked me down I was forced to withdrawl from affiliate marketing and look at other forms of making money. I ended up turning to real estate and began to put as much intensity into learning real estate as I did into learning SEO, website building, PPC, Adwords, Adsense, etc. etc.

Interestingly enough, while an affiliate for ebay I may have put over 120hrs into niche research, website building, optimizing, etc. and this may have resulted in $300 to $500 a month in consistent income - but it wasn't passive and predictable because it was predominantly based on SEO which is always a moving targed and ever evolving, thus more time spent optimizing and learning what one must do next to rank as rankings disappear overnight.

Long story short - I just made $2000 today for roughly 1.5 hrs of work connecting an investor cash buyer with a seriously motivated home seller and I've only been into real estate a little over a year.

Someday I may return to some sort of affiliate marketing but when I look at the return for time spent - there is no comparison. On the flipside, affiliate marketing at it's best can generate passive income month after month but you can't rely fully on SEO to do this - you must set up other systems and multiple niches with a constant acquisition stream of new niches in demand.

Thank you again ebay for knocking me down to the ground, if you hadn't done that I would not have experienced the joy I did today earning $2000 for less than two hours of work (while spending time with my 11 year old daughter "on the job").

No...I'm not going to post an aff link to a real estate product...I just know that someone reading this will be inspired, motivated, and encouraged and that is my truest passion - uplifting others through my own painful experiences.

If your struggling and getting no where fast...I encourage you to turn off every distraction in in your immediate presence and pray before you do anything else and truly listen, maybe for the first time in your life, listen for the still quiet voice of God. Stop leaning on your own understanding.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6

So there it is ... BUSTED... I am selling something. I'm selling Jesus. But He offers a 100% FREE TRIAL with a 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or your Life back.

A few years back I had the honor of being part of a youth ministry leadership team. A handful of those teenagers put on a skit that pulls all of the above together into an incredible visual understanding of the struggles we all of us face at one point in our life: Infusion 3 Year Bash Human Video - YouTube

I'll continue to keep coming back here to update you guys. If you've been encouraged or inspired to press on - let me know.

Best,

Ryan

25. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Manning is wearing Orange these days.

I can get you a new avatar...

Go Broncos!
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

27. Thanks From:

I never really expected I'd ever receive "the email" but I did today. It's strange that I'm not freakin out just a little bit - I mean eBay has been my source of part-time income for a long time now. I'm no big wig - I'd estimate I earned $5k to $7k annually from eBay.

I didn't do anything shady all of the sudden that would warrant them doing this. Only thing I can tell is their algo somehow indicated to them that my traffic has been low quality - yet they paid me over $500 last month.

I really think this is a blessing in disguise for me. eBay has become so unpredictable that they really aren't a decent affiliate program to promote anymore - especially when they can just drop veteran affiliates at the drop of a hat. I had already began focusing my attention towards other programs so they obviously have given me great motivation to move forward.

After devoting much of the last five years of my life to eBay's affiliate program (as I "had" multiple real jobs, have a wife, and have children) and after being my very first merchant who I loyally stuck with through all of their changes (from CJ to in house, through all the epc problems)...if your on the fence as whether to continue promoting ebay or if your new and considering starting to promote eBay....let my past 5 years of investing time into promoting eBay be a warning to you as this is the exact same email they will send you without warning just as they sent me today:

"Thank you for your participation in the eBay Partner Network.
    After a thorough review of your account, our team has determined that your account has been generating low quality traffic as gauged by our internal measures. We wanted to bring to your attention that our team has decided to terminate your account on June 9th, 2011. We ask that you please remove your affiliate links and update your payment information within 3 days. You will not be compensated for any traffic associated with your account after that date. If your payment and tax information have been entered and your account has generated more than twenty-five units of your payment currency, your pending earnings will be paid by the next payment cycle . You are not permitted to rejoin the eBay Partner Network.
    As stated in the ePN Network Agreement Section (L)(3)(a):
    (3) Termination by ePN or an Advertiser
    a. ePN may terminate this Agreement and your account, one of your websites, your use of a Promotional Method or your participation in a certain Program at any time for convenience in its sole discretion upon 3 days notice. An Advertiser may terminate your participation in its Program or your use of a Promotional Method at any time for convenience in its sole discretion upon 3 days notice.
    Again, we thank you for your efforts and wish you the best of luck. At this time, we are not reconsidering our decision.
    Regards,
    The eBay Partner Network Quality Team"
    ---------
    endnote:

I know this email didn't shock my God off His throne -- He is my Provider and I trust He will lead me to greener pastures so I have peace about this.

When I was a rookie affiliate I found my home here at ABW and I've been blessed by many in this subforum over the last several years - you've really helped me grow as an affiliate and I appreciate it very much. I have no need to hang out in this subforum any longer apparently so unless I see you in another program forum I wish you all the best!
    Its great that I came across your words when I was just in point of promoting Ebay.

29. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread