Am I even close?
    Hello everyone, I have been reading through the forum a lot and am picking up on a few things. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So basically what I want to do to become a successful affiliate marketer is to find something that people are having problems with and build a website that will help them to discover the answers that they need?

If this is the case, the part that I continue to not be able to get past is this...is the whole website that I create suppose to be dedicated and focused to this one area?

For example, lets says I want to teach people how to change a flat tire. Am I suppose to get a domain name like www.changeaflattire. com and name the page How To Change A Flat Tire?

I understand that I want to use the correct keywords and build quality back links to the site and that I should choose something that is not so competitive, but I can not start those until I get past the first speed bump, which seems like I never will at the moment.

Another thing I don't quite get is, How am I suppose to keep my site up to date and continue to add new things? There is only so much a person can know about changing a tire?
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; June 4th, 2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: unlinked

Go to: https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en&...w=1516&bih=769

Visit some of the sites listed there. While you're at the site do a mouse right click on the site page and select - view source.

Look at their html and you can see what others are doing.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

So first I could start with, how to change a flat tire, then maybe go on to rotating tires and air pressure in tires, then eventually with luck and a lot of work I could take over the keyword tire? So then any time someone were to type the word tire into a search engine, my help would appear. Once the traffic starts coming, then I could start recommending products through affiliate links for tires, to make money? Is that how it works?

More or less. There are thousands of people who start every day. Most quit in disgust because it is a lot more work than it sounds like. If only all those competitors would just go away..then it would be easy as that.

How many people will actually buy a tire online? Most people will find and visit your site in an info seeking mode. Info seekers are not very profitable in this business. Try to find and attract people who are shopping for something.

Good luck. Lots to learn, but all knowledge builds on itself as you go forward.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

the "solving a problem" thing is not necessarily true so don't get hung up on that. many affiliates concentrate on attracting people who are trying to buy something online (do a search for "buying cycle"). so the only problem they have is finding what they want and buying it for the best price. maybe they don't know exactly what they need, so you could help them with that. or maybe they don't know all the places online where they could buy the item, so you could help with that. or maybe you can just be the best site for getting people to click the buy button and stop putting it off.

or maybe they want to know how to change a tire...but that seems like a tough sell

Quote Originally Posted by blink87 View Post
    If this is the case, the part that I continue to not be able to get past is this...is the whole website that I create suppose to be dedicated and focused to this one area?
    Well, we have an interest in a ton of websites, so I can give you some specific advice here...

It is beneficial to have a domain name that is connected to your main targeted search keywords. However, you do not need to stop there. You do not need a new domain for every keyword. You can add pages to the same website, as long as the topics are connect in some way to the main theme of the website.

In particular, you may want to add pages that target similar variations of your main keyword, but then expand to less directly connected keywords..

For example, if we had a domain that had the words "cheap shoes" in the domain name, we could have many pages relating to cheap shoes. We could have a different page for every brand of shoe, and try to include the concept of low prices for that brand. But that would be limiting and possibly overkill. So we would expand beyond the topic of "cheap", and get into the concept of "quality" and "style" and "fashion" and "trendy". We can include all of those concepts on the same website, because they are connected to shoes.

However, if we really wanted to rank high for a very competitive keyword, we may want to make an entirely new domain for that keyword, rather than adding it to an existing domain.

So, it's really up to you. Experiment, see what works, learn and adjust based on the results.. Most of all, add quality content, make your websites enjoyable to the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    the "solving a problem" thing is not necessarily true so don't get hung up on that. many affiliates concentrate on attracting people who are trying to buy something online (do a search for "buying cycle"). so the only problem they have is finding what they want and buying it for the best price. maybe they don't know exactly what they need, so you could help them with that. or maybe they don't know all the places online where they could buy the item, so you could help with that. or maybe you can just be the best site for getting people to click the buy button and stop putting it off.

or maybe they want to know how to change a tire...but that seems like a tough sell
    Solving a problem isn't the only way to do affiliate marketing, but it's definitely one good approach.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

A good idea can also stem from *not* seeing other sites do something you're thinking of...

Truly original ideas are hard to come by in this business (google anything and you will probably find a niche site that deals with the topic), but your presentation style can be unique, or perhaps address a specific recurring problem in better detail. Anything that makes your site stand out..

However good your site is, relevant domain name, top SEO, loads of content, etc etc it counts for nothing if you are unable to SELL your product or service.

I struggle because I lack a sound understanding of marketing and sales techniques, assets I feel are as valuable as any involving site building.

After all we are told there is only about 15 seconds to hold on to a visitor, the skilled salesman here will win hands down.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread