ABW Ambassador
    Wink Could the Net be killing the planet?
    It's Saturday night, and you want to catch the latest summer blockbuster. You do a quick Google search to find the venue and right time, and off you go to enjoy some mindless fun.

Meanwhile, your Internet search has just helped kill the planet. Depending on how long you took and what sites you visited, your search caused the emission of one to 10 grams of carbon into the atmosphere, contributing to global warming.

Sure, it's not a lot on its own — but add up all of the more than one billion daily Google searches, throw in 60 million Facebook status updates each day, 50 million daily tweets and 250 billion emails per day, and you're making a serious dent in some Greenland glaciers.

Vancouver Sun

There is no way to avoid this, except to stop existing. Even the decomposition of your body contributes to greenhouse gasses, but no more after that.

Hmm, perhaps war is the answer? Fewer people! Or we can hope for a pandemic. Or mass sterilization?

Nah, just ban google.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe-Shopping-Spree View Post
    There is no way to avoid this, except to stop existing. Even the decomposition of your body contributes to greenhouse gasses, but no more after that.

Hmm, perhaps war is the answer? Fewer people! Or we can hope for a pandemic. Or mass sterilization?

Nah, just ban google.
    Pandemic? War?

Hardest part might be that "ban Google" thing; pandemics and wars would be easy by comparison, don't you think?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Carbon emmision is not causing global warming, it's a consequence of it.

Global warming is a cyclical phenomenon, dependent on what's happening on the surface of the sun.

There are two HUGE issues facing mankind right now.

1: The seas are slowly dying. The seas produce 80% of the oxygen in our atmosphere. Surface plants produce 20%. If we don't stop polluting the seas we will all suffocate because there won't be enough oxygen to breathe.

2. The medical/pharmaceutical industry is slowly destroying mankind. (For profit.)

That may not be a bad thing, because, if we don't allow the pharmaceutical industry to destroy us, we will destroy the entire ecological system through genetic engineering.

Just gotta love such a positive forum thread to start a new week. LOL!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

GridMaxx 230w Solar Panel

I have one for each of my two computers and will be buying 2 more for my tv's, then a few more for my appliances and so on. I will no longer be killing the planet.

Personally I think instead the net is killing brain cells with the stupidity and stuff going around on it. Jersey shore is much more deadly than the carbon from the electricity used to run my comp.
    Last edited by 2busy; June 6th, 2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: neutered link

We produce about 1kg of carbon daily just from breathing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team View Post
    Meanwhile, your Internet search has just helped kill the planet. Depending on how long you took and what sites you visited, your search caused the emission of one to 10 grams of carbon into the atmosphere, contributing to global warming.
    Much better than me burning my newspaper when I'm done looking at the movie listings...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

10. Thanks From:

Nice to focus on the search instead of driving to see a movie.

Anyway, I hope technology solves this problem so we can drive, surf the net, air condition our homes, etc... without burning fossil fuels.

The sun is the answer and I hope we can figure out how to capture and store more of the sun's energy soon. We're getting there and hopefully Moore's law will apply so the solar and battery technology will get better while the price gets lower.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

sure hope so....this planet sucks

come on skynet - finish us off!

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post

Anyway, I hope technology solves this problem
    Technology has already solved the problem, but humans will not implement it.

The solution is in your pants. I'm not kidding!

With the world population doubling every 40-60 years, no amount of fiddling with recycling, solar, and electric cars will be enough. The number of breathing, eating, burning, driving, heating, cooling humans keeps doubling!

Never-mind, lets ban google anyway LOL !

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Technology has already solved the problem, but humans will not implement it.
    It's politics and retaining current positions of economic power over humanity. Solar and wind power sources should be so much further developed. A UCLA study released earlier this year showed that rooftop solar panels placed on Los Angeles homes would produce enough power to run the entire city.
    Never-mind, lets ban google anyway LOL !
    Careful what you wish for. Whatever fills the void may be worse.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    A UCLA study released earlier this year showed that rooftop solar panels placed on Los Angeles homes would produce enough power to run the entire city.
    I did some research a few years ago on PV panels for our house, and to get enough power to supply half of our usage, it would have taken enough PV panels to cover about half of our roof and it would cost as much as pay for electricity for over 10 years. And that didn't factor in battery life (for storing power), maintenance, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    Nice to focus on the search instead of driving to see a movie.
    Doh! Good point, 10 grams to look up the showtimes. 10 pounds to drive to the theater.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

16. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    The solution is in your pants. I'm not kidding!
    Whew, for a moment I thought you were going to suggest reclaiming methane...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

18. Thanks From:

Hi Michael, a few years is a long time for PV now! If you or OICUAM2 are really interested and have time to goof around, buy that PV educational kit. I built my first 30 w panel with my little cousin, then I invested in more "cells" and here I am now on my way to the 5kw goal, maybe grid-tied in a year or two. If I had a million dollars I would bring manufacturing back to small town USA and start making panels

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Whew, for a moment I thought you were going to suggest reclaiming methane...
    Well, we can go back to the good 'ol horse 'n buggy days. Plenty of horse d** to create methane. But of course, city streets were perilous to cross & the smell on a hot day...whew!

Plus, more peeps download movies to their computer instead of driving to a theater. People don't drive to the library, they look it up on the Internet. And best of all, which is why ABW exists: folks are buying online instead of going to malls. Much less gas emissions!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

21. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    And best of all, which is why ABW exists: folks are buying online instead of going to malls. Much less gas emissions!
    Good point! Affiliate marketing is saving the earth! Maybe even the universe. We should be proud of ourselves for sure

23. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Saving the earth & the universe >> so that tracking will not be effected

25. Thanks From:

Saw a solar panel power unit at Costco the other day for $299 that provides enough power to dimly light a 60W bulb (55 watts output). Hurry while they last!

X

27. Thanks From:

28. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread