& Still Fails For Me
    I was enjoying the new interface and thought I would again try link URLs with
    Code:
    & a m p ; Couldn't figure out how to show it where it wouldn't convert to "&".
    instead of &. The link is in the box marked:
    The following is based upon XHTML and works identical to the above code. This is optional for experienced webmasters building XHTML sites.
    Is it that I'm not experienced enough or is this long term problem still unfixed? The link with & a m p ; still leads to a SAS error page. I thought with all the innovation this old problem would be solved.

The amp; after & is really not for all xhtml documents, it is for certain doctypes and charsets, it could be that your doctype is giving the browsers bad instructions for your character set. I have old sites with html 4.0 using ISO-8859-1 which do require the amp; encoding. Pages will load fine without either a doctype or charset declaration so if you aren't certain that the encoding is what the page says it is you are better off to leave it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    The amp; after & is really not for all xhtml documents, it is for certain doctypes and charsets, it could be that your doctype is giving the browsers bad instructions for your character set. I have old sites with html 4.0 using ISO-8859-1 which do require the amp; encoding. Pages will load fine without either a doctype or charset declaration so if you aren't certain that the encoding is what the page says it is you are better off to leave it out.
    Try this. Open a fresh tab and put a link in the url like r.cfm?b=xxxxx&u=xxxxx&m=xxxxx&urllink=&afftrack= but with the proper SAS domain in front and your correct number where the xxxxx's are and hit Enter. Now try it with the & encoded with amp; and it will go to the error page. Looks to me like that would be independent of doctype and charset.

My page is:

Code:
    DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    With charset=ISO-8859-1.
    Either way it's troublesome to have a link presented without showing how to properly use it, and yet there may be documentation that I've missed at SAS.

Try changing that doctype to the more complete form:
    Code:
    <  !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" >
    <  html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"  >
    (closing the brackets back where they belong) The second line replaces your regular
    Code:
    < html >
    tag.

It should be telling the browser how to read the document. If it is not working properly, try viewing the headers to see where it is coming apart. I use Live HTTP headers FF plugin for that stuff.

Try this. Open a fresh tab and put a link in the url like r.cfm?b=xxxxx&u=xxxxx&m=xxxxx&urllink=&afftrack= but with the proper SAS domain in front and your correct number where the xxxxx's are and hit Enter. Now try it with the & encoded with amp; and it will go to the error page. Looks to me like that would be independent of doctype and charset.
    The link will not work when you paste it in the address bar with the amp; added, that part needs to be on a page to get converted by the browser. If you paste that link on a page and then click on it, the browser will change it back to a simple &.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Try changing that doctype to the more complete form:
    Code:
    <  !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" >
    <  html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"  >
    (closing the brackets back where they belong) The second line replaces your regular
    Code:
    < html >
    tag.

It should be telling the browser how to read the document. If it is not working properly, try viewing the headers to see where it is coming apart. I use Live HTTP headers FF plugin for that stuff.
    My set up is a carbon copy of the above. I had just posted a shortened Doctype because for some reason I couldn't get it to render in code tags here. It may have been my browser or the NoScript add-on. Not sure why.

Checking with Live HTTP Headers it seems ok but I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for.
    Code:
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    I know others have had this problem, and that's why I suggest SAS do something to educate here. For me I'll just continue as I have always done and use & even if validation gripes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    For me I'll just continue as I have always done and use & even if validation gripes.
    That's what I do. I don't care if there's a more "standard" way to do things. & has been around far longer, and it works. There's no need to change what works. Especially to a standard that isn't fully supported by everything.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread