One of my hubbys relatives told us we are wasting our time because we have failed to rake in the BIG bucks after just one year online. We have done no PPC advertising, all of our traffic has been strictly from links and word of mouth and we are getting about 100 uniques a day. How long is the usual learning period for newbies? Should we start doing some PPC or print ads...is Google worth it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FJF:
    One of my hubbys relatives told us we are wasting our time because we have failed to rake in the BIG bucks after just one year online. We have done no PPC advertising, all of our traffic has been strictly from links and word of mouth and we are getting about 100 uniques a day. How long is the usual learning period for newbies? Should we start doing some PPC or print ads...is Google worth it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tell your naysayers to get lost... I'd say something f(&((&)off! that should shut them up...

100 hits isnt enough to make any real money... you need 1000's of targeted visitors..

PPC is expensive google is worth it if you can stand the pain... PPC isn't for everyone... yes it will drive targeted traffic... but you need to convert or you will bleed $$$$

as for laernig curve... it all depends what kind of sales experience you already have. and how badly you want to succeed... how much effort you put into learning what needs to be learned to succeed.

the questions you asked are tough to answer in a post... because their are too many unanswered variables...

some of us come from with self-employment or sales back grounds... other have no experience at all...

hope this helps...

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador
    FJP,

I wouldn't go the print ads or PPC route. There are many things you can do to get more visitors to your site. The name of the game is the number of visitors you get. Get as high a number as you can and you'll start seeing more buyers.

The first thing I would do is change the titles of all your pages. They all say the exact same thing. Get away from "Family Jewels Forever featuring jewelry made by our family for yours" and put a different title on each page that incorporates words that people will use when searching. No one is going to search for specific words that you have in that title. Your earrings page may have a title along the lines of "Artisan Jewelry - Earrings".

Search engines primarily key into the title of each page. Search for "artisan earrings" (or some other term you feel is worthwhile) and see what the titles are of the first 20 sites that show up. That will give you an indication of some of the terms that you would want to use. Then do the same for all your other pages.

As for your relative, tell him/her to stuff it. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a money-making website.

Bob

Internet Cowboy
    FJP,
    I agree with bob.
    Work on SEO and you will see growth in traffic, hence sales.
    Tell your hubbies relatives to byte you because at least you are doing something :-)

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    And how much are these relatives who think you don't make enough online actually make themselves doing the same thing???

I still have some people who after 10 years think I should have a real job and not be self employed.
    I have a home and roof over my head, my family is looked after and have 3 square meals a day plus in front of them.
    Work hard, go with the flow, never being afraid to look at new ideas/opportunities as they present themselves and it can happen, things can and will improve.

Dont Give Up!

When I started about three years ago I spent most of my time learning seo. Today I can not program cgi, I suck at graphics, could not get a database working to save my life and so on.

But what I can do is create pages that rank (somewhat) well in the search engines and drive free traffic to my sites daily.

To me all the rest does not matter, all I feel I need is quality static html pages .... a clean and fast loading site and traffic.

Most of the other stuff I mentioned I just bypass, I purchase website templates as well as professional logos which cost me about 100 bucks per site and work on creating pages.

New pages everyday has been my mantra for some time and it has severed me well ... I have an excellent article on finding good search terms to target that you might find helpful.

http://www.my-affiliate-programs.com...marketing.html

Cheers,

Hi FJF,

Is it the site in your signature? If so, I'd say 100 uniques a day is a very positive indicator, considering that the site is barely indexed in google or yahoo.

Learn how to optimize pages around oddball search phrases that are uncovered from your logs or PPC campaigns (if you choose to run them). Then get more pages up and indexed. Beg, borrow, or buy some inbound links to get the bots moving.

Hi FJF,

1)Dont give up 100+ a day is very good.
    2)Go the SEO way, optimise pages and let search engines pick em up.
    3) There is so much to learn so keep at it.
    4) Dont go into PPC if you are not sure about your conversions or else it will cost you a lot of money.

100 uniques a day after 1 year!
    Although today I think I could get that volume quicker, my 1st site did not hit that number for about 2 or 3 years so I say your ON YOUR WAY!!!! Do as others have said and create NEW PAGES.. LOTS OF NEW PAGES..

Consider PPC an option.

I started with PPC and made good money. If you're willing to methodically test (and possibly lose a small amount of money to do so), then there is no reason you can't do SEO and try PPC at the same time.

Using a staged learning approach and sticking to your limits will limit your losses if you try it.

Staged learning: you take an educated guess at the PPC sales cycle using data you already have on conversions, search keywords from you logs, etc. There will be some points to your sales cycle that are only rough guesses. Set up tests to drill down on those rough guesses without spending too much. Enhance your sales model with the new data and risk a little more $$ to refine it even more. It's iterative.

The fact that your word-of-mouth traffic is good implies that you should consider not only the ROI of immediate PPC conversions but also the lifetime value of each PPC click.

Thanks all for the input, I will work on implementing some of the ideas like changing my page titles. We are also considering a little tweaking on site, better pics of the jewelry and such.
    Most of our traffic has been driven by word of mouth, we give out our cards at all the craft and jewelry shows we do and I put my site in my email signature so it goes out with every email we send.
    We are considering having an affiliate program...but not until the site looks much better!
    Tell them to byte me...love that. Of course, the people commenting don't build and market on the web either so what do they know huh?
    Thanks again for the much needed boost of motivation.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread