How do you fight your funks?
    I have been working on my main site since 2003. It's a niche content site and has pulled my family through some tough times, and I consider it to be a member of our family. When my husband was laid off for a year, it kept our mortgage paid, electricity running, and food on the table. It is helping take care of some out-of-this-world medical bills, braces on my kids' teeth, and a variety of other things. All while being a part-time venture.

So the problem I am facing is I have lost my passion for it. Most days I feel like I've said all that I have to say and I'll never think of another thing. So yeah, that's my funk. But because it has been around for eight years it has nice traffic, is an authority site with Google, and definitely worth continuing.

Have any of you ever been in this situation where you just get stuck? What do you do to pull yourselves up and get a renewed interest?

I've thought of starting a new site on a completely different topic, but do I really want to go back to square one? Surely there is something I can do to get me out of this funk I am in.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    How would I get out of a funk? I would re-read your post and think of all the positives your website has provided you and your family.

It is really great to read that the effort you have put in has worked...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Hey Zimmy,
    I think no matter what we do, there are times in our life when we're hit with a creative crisis. Another friend of mine went through the same thing you are, she had a site that was doing really well, but her heart just wasn't in it anymore. She wanted to sell it so she could start a new one, but couldn't find a good buyer.

She ended up keeping that site as her moneymaker, and just starting another one for herself. That way, she didn't have the pressure of monetizing it right away, and she could just let her creativity flow without having to worry about that side of things.

And besides, you're an eternal optimist, you have to know that funks never last!

best,
    Carolyn

4. Thanks From:

rather than start a second site on a completely different topic, why not start one that is somehow related to your current site, but in an area that is more interesting to you at this point in your life. then you could cross link a little bit to get the new site going, and you could add some content to your older site that's related to your new site. sort of a bridge to the new site. it would also be easier to build links, since you probably know of some sites that would also be a good link fit for the new site. just a thought

another idea would be to expand your affiliate activities into new areas. do you use video? social? widgets? if not, then these would be new things to learn and they might make it more interesting for a while.

also, like CTank said, funks don't last forever. sometimes you just have to push through it for a while. you have probably already been doing that, but keep it up.

Good luck!

I've been in a funk lately. Running the same website for eight years and growth has slowed. This year I am trying to outsource some of the boring, menial tasks. I hope this will help with the funk and also make my websites growth curve more attractive.

The motivation I use to keep going.... The realization that no matter how well my site is doing, it all could go away tomorrow and that I need to accumulate wealth now while the profits are good!
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

7. Thanks From:

Take a break! A total change of scenery and environment can help. Once we are away from our work for a while, we itch to get back! And our creative thoughts can be collected, we can return with a new energy..

Pack a tent, head to a campground, hike the hills etc. Come back fresh.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Shoe-Shopping-Spree has the right idea, just not the execution I would prefer.

Get totally away for 10 days or two weeks, don't look at it, don't think about it (well, you'll probably think about it now and then and probably come up with some good ideas while trying NOT to think about it, so take a tape reorder along for quick, easy memos).

But, scratch that camping on insect infested damp ground or in stinky tents or within pouncing distance of large, fur-covered predators.

My choice for such a respite would tend towards a five-star hotel, gourmet meals, and first class entertainment - San Francisco, San Diego, Las Vegas, Chicago, even NY, depending on your locale and distance you're willing to travel.

Whatever your preference, several days away can work wonders for the psyche.

And re-read isellstuff's post a few dozen times. Truer words have never been written: "The realization that no matter how well my site is doing, it all could go away tomorrow and that I need to accumulate wealth now while the profits are good!"
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I agree with Affiliatehound. If you're not a nature lover, go to a city, suck in the pollution, enjoy the grafiti and litter, crowds, noise etc.

Come back fresh and revitalized!

Hey, I couldn't breath without a minimum level of lead-infused nitrogen oxide in my air.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Actually, we do go to Yosemite usually once a year or so, but we stay at the Tenaya Lodge, not on cold, hard, bear-cave-adjacent ground:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go away on a holiday for at least 2 weeks. You may start missing your site, or never wanna go back... If so, work from there!

Such great insight everyone - mucho thanks. And I'm adding the Tenaya Lodge to my bucket list for sure - what a great destination! Wish it wasn't so far away.

Although the vacay sounds great, it isn't in the cards right now. I've been battling some health issues for about 6 months and that has definitely been my unplanned break from work. But now that I'm back and able to work...I can't seem to do it.

What I think I'm going to do is expand my affiliate activities. That's a super cool idea Supercool!!!

Thanks for understanding - it is nice to know I'm not alone in this!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread