what to do with denied requests
    I got affiliate application requests denied from time to time and it is pretty stressful. Just want to know how everyone else handles this situation?

Is it better to move on and apply for other affiliate programs? Or, call the merchant up and bargain to get approved?

Thanks,

Plus, the frustration part is that they don't tell you why your site is not suitable for being their affiliate.

15 years and counting
    It depends of you.
    Don't let a "Declined" put you down. If the merchant is important for you can try to contact them again. Don't expect too much.
    After years of experience, I don't do it anymore.
    So many ethical merchants to promote, so little time.
    They made a choice, their loss.
    You have to know what you're worth for a merchant (or an OPM).
    On thousand of applications, only a few (ethical) affiliates will perform. If the merchant is making the wrong choice, it's their problem. Let them run their business the way they want it.
    I'm feeling more and more confident after seeing that most of the merchants who have rejected my applications are out of business or don't have an affiliate program anymore.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    From time to time, I'll look at the initial information I put into a forum profile, or Facebook, and notice that there are details that are outdated, statuses that have changed, etc. so my first advice is to double check your application information. Make sure it is up to date, site URLs are accurate, any notes or messages are relevant.

If the merchant is one you think will have a positive impact on your business, and their contact information is readily available, inquire as to the reason. We created rejection messages for each of our advertisers to ensure that affiliates receive a response if that decision is made, and list contact name and email addresses for each account. A program that is valued, and an AM worth their salt, will respond with detail.

Hope that helps!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Write back, ask them why you were declined. If they don't respond, move on.

If I decline you, I'll tell you why or I'll give you a second looksee.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

6. Thanks From:

If it's someone you want to promote, definitely write back. Most good AMs will respond quickly and will almost invariably let you in. If they don't respond back, move on. They saved you some time. It's much better to find out that you're dealing with a bad AM early in the process.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

There are too many opportunities to worry about one or two rejections, if you are completely satisfied with your set up move on and find someone with whom you can establish a good working relationship.

I will add one caveat, if you are regularly getting rejected I suggest you get an independent and unbiased view on all you are doing, it could prove beneficial.

Keep at it and best wishes.

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    I will reject if there are too many bad reviews, otherwise if I am unsure of how a person will promote me I will email them and ask. (I am actually amazed how many affiliates have no url information in there profile). If they do not get back to me within 3 days they also get declined.

I would LOVE if people would email me just to clarify why they were declined, it would show me that they are VERY interested in my program. Miscommunication happens and if your profile is not clear enough, it could just be an error on the affiliate managers part in an effort to keep their program "clean". Shoot an email and see what they say! If they do not get back to you you probably do not want to work with them anyway!
    Jill Caren

Thanks everyone for the reply and encouragement. I feel much better now.

Actually one thing I noticed is that, approved and unapproved programs for my sites follow a certain pattern. In another word, I got a lot of approvals from merchants in certain industries, but denials in other industries.

Maybe my sites are not deemed to be appropriate for certain industries? Something I will need to do my homework and research.

Thanks again!

If you really want to work with them, call!
    We got rejected by some networks we really wanted to work with; we picked up the phone, talked, explained, and we're in! Even if they still don't let you in, you would at least know what the problem is and improve next time.
    Last edited by CrystalDMP; June 27th, 2011 at 05:04 AM.

I would LOVE if people would email me just to clarify why they were declined, it would show me that they are VERY interested in my program.
    Wanna see if Adorama is hiring?

I don't waste my time emailing back any more. Not even once have I gotten a response. Ever. Always completely ignored.

The last one I did was Adorama. They rejected me. I spent an hour drafting an email back to them to get in. Let me preface this by saying coin collectors spend an absolute boatload of money on photography equipment. They will go hungry for a while to get good images. My setup was over 6K (bought form Adorama). They want images like this which is a little over a quarter inch square on a Morgan dollar. You ain't gettin' that walking into Wally World and buying your camera equipment.

So I email back pointing out my very busy photography forum, I even included links to specific topics were people drop well over a grand on just a lens without blinking. I tell them how I plan on building a complete video tutorial section using their highly branded Youtube videos. A page for each of the videos, with anchor links to them at every chance. Even had my resident expert ready to write up a synopsis on each video page. For a week's worth of hard work on my end, it would be easy money for both of us and I mean EASY because their service on the front end is absolutely phenomenal.

That was 3 months ago. No reply. Not even a "go to hell" which would be more appreciated than being ignored.

So, I guess I'll embed Adorama's videos for my tutorials and link to B&H who was glad to have me with no explanation required.

That was, and will be, the last time I email anyone for anything that declines me. I'll just move on and not lose a minutes sleep over it.
    Last edited by bobby131313; June 27th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Well, someone must be reading here. Just logged into CJ and I'm approved.

After reading this thread with the same question, my application was instantly denied, I emailed the program. Still no answer as to why I was auto-denied but they invited me to the program and I'm starting to place links today.

My guess is that my site "looked new" as I had added it to my existing CJ account only minutes before applying with the merchant.

Thank you, guys. I learned a lot.

Frankly, following up on declined applications doesn't seem to meet with much success. Perhaps 10% of the time, a merchant will respond and say, "sorry, we've approved you now." Another 10%, merchants will respond and say, "sorry, we don't think your site is suitable for our goals," or something vague like that. Maybe 1% will ask a follow up question. The rest never respond.

I've written up very detailed emails, explaining how visitors from my site who click on their competitors' links spend $1,500 per month on that competitor's site, and how this particular merchant's products are even more suitable or more likely to convert. I don't think I've ever received a response when I sent a message like that to a merchant who'd declined me.

Frankly, following up on declined applications doesn't seem to meet with much success.
    Some merchants are picky in strange quirky ways, some bigtime merchants are only interested in what they percieve to be "super" affiliates, some fashion merchants are only interested in bloggers and not "storefront-type" sites... there's a gazillion reasons why an application will be declined. But at least in my own experience, the most common reason is either that the merchant only saw "first site listed" in the network interface, and it wasn't a good match for their offerings, or by the same token, the site I intend to promote them on is not listed. I've found that writing back for reconsideration usually results in being approved after all.... success rate of about 90% on this.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Many people have touched on this already but it can't be overstated - inquire as to why you got denied. A lot of application processes for affiliate programs whether advertiser, network or publisher have certain flags that will be viewed as an auto-deny. This has nothing to do with quality or what information you entered and everything to do with a bad system half the time.

Also, I have had experience with people simply reaching out to the program or advertiser and spoken with someone who found could approve an already denied one, since they checked the person out on the phone, with the app in hand, etc.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    For some networks I filter new sites and they are auto declined. We spent 90% of our time screening sites that never made it. However, when an affiliate reached out and asked for a second consideration I accepted 99%. One was adult in nature and the merchant wouldn't allow so had to be declined.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread