Different IP For Each Site?
    In this thread [ links links links ], there was a question about linking between your own sites. Convergence gave the following advice (excerpt):

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Make sure each site has it's own IP address
    superCool always pays attention to what Convergence says, and superCool has been looking at this lately as well. So how important do you think this really is? A different IP is not going to hide anything from the search engines is it? Do you also have a separate webmaster tools account for each site? In superCool's opinion, it is very unlikely that you can hide anything like this from the Borg, so is it even worth the effort? And if so, how far do you go?

superCool has seen several sites where the (super) affiliate has cross-linked quite a bit, but he did not check to see if the sites were on the same IP or not (should go back and check)

superCool is doing some host shuffling and is trying to figure out what to do in this area (hosts / IPs / etc.). His latest thinking is that he is not sophisticated enough to hide anything so we might as well just add some relevant links and see how it goes.

Wondering what you smart guys and gals think about this?

thanks for any and all advice (but especially the good advice)

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Allow me to expound on dedicated IPs and why they are used on our affiliate sites and why we recommend them to our drop ship clients.

the Google is a domain registrar. This means they get to see everything about a domain name from the "inside".

Who uses dedicated IPs? Merchants and sites willing to spend a few extra dollars a month.

Who doesn't use dedicated IPs? Affiliates, fly by night websites, and spammers.

If you have multiple affiliate websites, all with the same IP and one of the sites is flagged as being an affiliate site (thin or otherwise), that IP is watched and all websites on it. So if you are on shared hosting with a bad player, YOU are being watched as well.

Dedicated IPs are just another small notch in the positive for your website, just like registering a domain name for a minimum of three years before launching it. Why? Because it shows you intend on being online for a while.

All those little notches in the positive add up. What's another $3 or so a month for a dedicated IP? Peanuts...
    Last edited by Convergence; June 8th, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Can't remember where I got the idea, but a while back I began using a different IP for each significant site. A very few sites I have are lumped on the same IP. Not sure of the reasons as I said, but if you do cross link it just looks weirder to me if they share an IP.

I read years ago that as long as the domains are not on the same C levels it will be OK. That would be hosts on the same IP address which might happen even with different hosting accounts if one or both of the hosts is actually a reseller. I have no clue whether the information is valid or not. I link to my own sites but try to do it with some relevance so not all sites have links from all other sites. I think it would be silly not to suggest your own sites where appropriate as long as you are in the business of recommending where to get/find/see/buy other things.
    Thank you for helping me find those orange handled mascara brushes, they are the only ones that work right.

Google can use much more than just IP address to figure out which sites are owned by the same person.

I think it's a good idea to have dedicated IP addresses (or at least a single dedicated IP address for all your sites), but I don't think it's all that essential.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Moderator Note: Moved to the SEO forum since this has more to do with SEO than with Driving Traffic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Google can use much more than just IP address to figure out which sites are owned by the same person.
    My opinion on dedicated IPs is not about a search engine knowing which sites are owned by the same person, my opinion is about showing a search engine you are serious about your domain/website and not part of the general crowd who doesn't.

IMhO, linking multiple websites, on the same IP, is equivalent to a link farm...
    Last edited by Convergence; June 9th, 2011 at 01:45 AM.

No, I agree with that. Having a dedicated IP address for a site definitely shows that the owner places a higher value on the site. But in the scheme of things, I just feel like that's a very minuscule factor when it comes to SEO. When you look at Danny Sullivan's SEO Periodic Table, for instance, that's not even a factor.

I searched around to see what others thought, and found the following (admittedly dated) blog entry by Matt Cutts saying that it has no impact:

Myth busting: virtual hosts vs. dedicated IP addresses

I would concede that there may be a very minor advantage, but there are so many other things that strongly overpower it, that it would be pretty meaningless. If you do spammy things on a site, a dedicated IP address won't save it. And if you have good backlinks, a shared IP address won't hurt it.

If you're indiscriminately linking multiple websites, whether they're on the same IP address or not, those links will be highly discounted and perhaps entirely disregarded.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

IMhO, linking multiple websites, on the same IP, is equivalent to a link farm...
    Purely conjecture and personal opinion on my part, but I agree. I also believe that even "dedicated" IP's that fall within the same Class-C IP range may be subject to the same scrutiny by SE's.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

But in the scheme of things, I just feel like that's a very minuscule factor when it comes to SEO.
    As I said, a small notch in the positive...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Dedicated IPs are just another small notch in the positive for your website, just like registering a domain name for a minimum of three years before launching it. Why? Because it shows you intend on being online for a while.

All those little notches in the positive add up. What's another $3 or so a month for a dedicated IP? Peanuts...
    When you look at Danny Sullivan's SEO Periodic Table, for instance, that's not even a factor.
    Maybe he should have it on there.

I searched around to see what others thought, and found the following (admittedly dated) blog entry by Matt Cutts saying that it has no impact
    Yes, IMhO, I think it's out-dated.

I would concede that there may be a very minor advantage, but there are so many other things that strongly overpower it, that it would be pretty meaningless. If you do spammy things on a site, a dedicated IP address won't save it. And if you have good backlinks, a shared IP address won't hurt it.

If you're indiscriminately linking multiple websites, whether they're on the same IP address or not, those links will be highly discounted and perhaps entirely disregarded.
    Agree, in theory. Yes, there are things that have a greater weight when it comes to what you can do to improve your SEO. But overpower it? It's all about getting even a little edge over the competition using white hat methods. If you do spammy things on a site there's a chance MANY of the items on Danny's chart won't save it.

But, I feel we're splitting hairs here...
    Last edited by Convergence; June 9th, 2011 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I also believe that even "dedicated" IP's that fall within the same Class-C IP range may be subject to the same scrutiny by SE's.
    Sure, the SEs can go straight down to the CIDR level.

All I'm saying is, IMhO, it's a small edge based on a single website on a single IP - this being something most websites / domains don't do, especially the bad ones...

All I'm saying is, IMhO, it's a small edge based on a single website on a single IP - this being something most websites / domains don't do, especially the bad ones...
    somewhat I agreed with you, having a dedicated IP for each website is a good thing, but you can also use one dedicated IP for your all website. So it's not necessary to purchase dedicated IP for each website.

For an example. If you are using shared hosting account for 10 website. So it's not necessary to opt ten different IP address for each website. You just need to buy one dedicated IP and use that address to rest of all.

On the other hand, I have seen many spammers who prefers C class Ips range to carry out their black hat seo strategies. Mostly, they opt content farm methods and they believe, using different c class ips will makes search engine fool, but they are wrong.

thank you all for your comments. superCool now sees that the unique IP is not an attempt to fool anyone but is a potential quality signal. Good to know.

(been out of town and away from the computer)

superCool, you remind me of an episode on Seinfeld where the one guy dating Elaine would always refer to himself as a third person in a conversation. Loved that show.

techbytes

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread