Starting a new project
    Hi everyone,
    I have some time now and am ready for my next website project. I was wondering if you all could do some brainstorming with me, and maybe pass on some advice.

Out of my options, my number 1 choice would be to create website based around my cities professional sports teams, which would include soccer football and baseball. I would use the vBulletin CMS/forum system.

I haven't taken on a project this big before, so I am trying to figure out if it is even plausible. In my opinion, my two main difficulties will be:
    -Broad competitive topic
    -Creating legal content that is not simply a paraphrase from other sources

Can you foresee others?

thank you

My first thought is that it is a big undertaking so it really should be something you are interested in. You will be the main builder of content.

My second thought is that your main revenue will come from ticket, jersey, etc... sales, but most people will be there simply to talk sports and find information about their favorite teams/players.

My third thought thought was that vBulletin has limitations, but it seems to work for a lot of people. I wonder if vBulletin is so popular because it was used by a lot or the first movers in each niche a decade ago or if it really is the best platform to use. I prefer a platform that has more customizable profile pages for each member along with integrated chat, videos, blogs, leaderboards, etc...

Just some thoughts....

Good Luck!
    Last edited by OICUAM2; June 15th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    So you are starting a sports forum to discuss sports and monetize via affiliate links?

I am ready for a large project, that being said I am ready to be immersed in this topic. The only thing I haven't figured out yet in regards to content, is pictures. I haven't planned out how to get legal pictures of our first baseman or our goal keeper, etc. I have been thinking about just contacting local newspaper photographers and see if they are available.

Ticket or jersey sales are not apart of the plan...yet... I don't have experience with the process, how to set it up, legalities, where to get merchandise, etc. so for now I will hold off.

@OICUAM2: do you have any platforms you could recommend? VBulletin was appealing because of the CMS system they offer for a front page, I don't want my home page to land on the actual forum.

@Chuck Hamrick: I will monetize through affiliate links and ad sense to start. Another thing that was nice about VBulletin is the mobile app setup they support. I was thinking about creating an app, based around the forum, for a small charge.

thanks

be sure to check the competition carefully. there could already be some great sites that cover these areas and already have loyal users. or there could be 20 crappy sites doing the same thing. either way you'll have to figure out a way to get some users.

it sounds like you don't have much of an idea about how to monetize the site. you should probably figure this out ahead of time to some extent.

good luck

@super: thanks for the feedback, that is my intial concern for the project, and why I haven't began building the site yet, competition. I have been searching on my keywords and topics for about 3 weeks now and there is no forum or site with an overwhelming amount of users.

it sounds like you don't have much of an idea about how to monetize the site. you should probably figure this out ahead of time to some extent.
    Do you mean finding specific affiliates, or do you mean considering sales of jersey's and tickets in the beggining instead of after being established.

thanks

I use Ning for my sites and I really like it. You can customize your home page with whichever features you want. It also might allow you to present more of a social network (with a forum, blogs, etc...) feel to the niche whereas most other sites might just be a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by polygonpusher View Post
    Do you mean finding specific affiliates, or do you mean considering sales of jersey's and tickets in the beggining instead of after being established.
    superCool was just suggesting that if you do plan to build this site for affiliate monetization in the future, it might help to have a solid idea about how you're going to do it. look at similar sites and see how they are promoting merchants and see which methods you like. it might affect how you organize the site, and also the domain you choose

@OICUAM2 I set up my trial on ning.com, it is interesting and definitely veryyyy social. Personally it seems a little chaotic. Do you ever feel that? The positive is the ability of the fans to take over and create the content, the downside is as I mentioned chaos, and the chance it can come across non-professional. Ex: on of of their example sites, one member was taking over the entire activity feed with some weird activity over and over.

@SuperCool I guess I am a little confused, to me the process is find the relevant merchant/s to my domain s.....sportsfans.com, select attractive and productive links and find optimal placement. Either i'm making that process to simple or im reading to far into "have a solid idea about how you're going to do it" either way sorry for my confusion

Yes, anytime you have user generated content, you need to keep a watch on your site.

My basic strategy is to hide the activity feed lower on the page or completely off the page. I feature blog posts or discussions at the top of the main page. A lot of your traffic will enter specific blog post or forum pages, but there certainly is an art for how you construct your main home page.

Watch your stats and see how your visitors react to your pages. The smallest changes can completely alter your new member sign-ups, ad clicks, and pages per visit stats. Each site, niche, design, source of traffic, etc... is different so you just have to keep experiementing and testing until something works.

Spend a little time watching stats each day and more time building content and traffic. Once you have more visitors each day, it will be easier to test your changes.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread