<A HREF="http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5.htm" TARGET=_blank>
    Indonesia Needs Help, Death Toll Expected To Exceed 400,000</A>

Some places, there is no one left! No one at all left to help.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

SSanf, I am saddened by this everyday when I think about it. What makes me even more sad (and angry) is that there are others who think it is NOT ok to donate money to the relief organizations, like the Red Cross. The argument is that money should be used within their own country. What ignorance...

There was a local radio program yesterday that addressed this problem and publically gave out our Prime Minister's email address. It was only after an outcry that our country's contribution went from $4 million to $40 million. Even then, $40 million doesn't do much to such devastation.

Hang in there!

This whole tragedy is pretty staggering. My heart goes out to the survivors.

Ian, I agree. The idea that people would speak out against others giving to relief organizations is sickening. At a time like this, we all need to look beyond our borders a bit more.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

The US has a current population of 295 million people.

One dollar from every man, woman and child in this country would be $295 million dollars.

I don't care if it is from public or private donations. I do not believe that one dollar from each of us would undermine our standard of living in any way what-so-ever.

When you think about it, is that unreasonable?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

What about the other people that are suffering in the world, should we give a dollar for them too?

Or is this a special type of tragedy?

Fred

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I am absolutely horrified at the reactions of some people to this tragedy. I can't even describe how disgusted I am.

If you are privileged (and I believe most of us here fall into that group) how can you not share your good fortune with people who are suffering beyond comprehension? (That's a hypothetical question, I'm really not at all interested in your justifications for your attitudes and behavior.)

In any case, my husband and I have donated $1.00 on behalf of 100 of you who choose not to help to Doctors Without Borders.

A wacky idea came to mind

Do some of the ppc go to the red cross donation and other source of helping these countries and islands page so the people would donate.

I know it is a wacky idea, but I been thinking of other ways that can help these people fast before the decease gets worse.

Like doctors and nurses around the world take a month of and volunteers, portion of online shopping especially medical merchants run some donation ideas, other ideas that can be done to help these people.

Redcross put some list of families that have no clothes like Mom with 3 kids put their address and let people pick the names and send redcross where the country is c/o to redcross but address to that person you pick to send clothes.

thrift shop have alot of good clothes, everyone have clothes that is taking too much space, blankets, mosquito repel is a must!

Anything!

It's too sad to think or say anything that can make up for what these people are going through right now and this is the time we count our blessing and take a few sec, hours or even a day to do a good deed, anything is a help.

Sorry to my rant!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Fred,

If you've got another dollar to spare, I'm sure those people would welcome it too...

Being charitable is not a requirement. People should do what they feel is right for them, but the behavior Ian's post mentioned, of people actually suggesting people NOT give, is disgusting.

This is not a special type of tragedy, but the damage is far more signifigant, ubiquitous and instantaneous than anything in recent memory. A half a million people gone in a matter of days, in conjunction with widespread property damage, destruction of infrastructure and so on, on such a massive scale will have lasting, global effects for many many years to come.

Bottom line, these people need our help. It's up to each of us if we choose to help, but there's no justifiable rationale to suggesting people NOT help and every reason people SHOULD help.

Rhea,

So far all but one have posted in favor of helping.
    Eathan Mertz

Hi Eathan, sorry if I gave the impression that folks here were being uncharitable. I was thinking of posts on other boards that a friend showed me. I thought I'd cry when I read some of the horrible things people wrote, particularly because those people were from the U.S.

I do believe that this tragedy is more worthy of our attention because of the scope of it. Entire villages and towns have been wiped out. Entire regions have been levelled. The scale of it is difficult to imagine. It may very well turn out to be the worst disaster in our lifetime.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    400,000...That's an almost unfathomable amount...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> people actually suggesting people NOT give, is disgusting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't imagine anyone saying NOT to give, unless they have a belief that charites are frauds or something like that. The news doesn't usually bother to report on the good organizations, but they jump all over the chance to expose a fraud--which can leave the impression that they're *all* crooks.

(Edit--saw Rhea's post above about other forums)--But then, there is the clod factor!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What about the other people that are suffering in the world, should we give a dollar for them too?

Or is this a special type of tragedy?~Fred <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it IS a special type. A natural disaster comes up suddenly and can easily overwhelm systems that could well handle the "normal" levels of poverty and various events of minor chaos. It also is something that happened through no fault of the victims, unlike many "social ills" which often come up because of the behavior of the people themselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In any case, my husband and I have donated $1.00 on behalf of 100 of you who choose not to help to Doctors Without Borders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be the Red Cross for me; they always seem to be able to get on the scene with decent speed and ability.

But here's something shocking: To put a Red Cross banner on a site, the webmaster has to fill out a contact form, and e-sign a contract! Sheesh...it's almost like they're doing the *sites* a favor instead of the other way around

As stated on:
    http://www.redcross.org/psa/bannerorder/index.html

"Thank you for your interest in donating advertising space on your Web site. Please complete and submit to the American Red Cross the following form. A representative will contact you with additional information -- including a banner linking agreement -- and setup procedures for your site."
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Eathan, if your talking about Mrs. Poon's post, that's a good idea. I find Mrs. Poon has a very kind heart, and enjoy reading what she has to say

One of the points I was trying to make, was that some here are trying to put a price on both suffering, and how much one should pay to help alleviate that suffering. I was also trying to point out that there are other places, and peoples that need help (all the time).

But here we are watching the news, and we suddenly need to give to this tragedy now or you are a bad person. Baloney !

Rhea has tried to transfer these guilty feelings on us by saying that she and her husband have donated $100., and claim it's going to be from the heathens at ABW who she thinks don't care. Rhea make the donations on behalf of yourself - not me.

At least you made a donation to an awesome charity, Doctors without Borders. I haven't given to them since 2003, but it's time to get out my checkbook. I'll be making the donation, on my own behalf. Medicine is another item that is needed in many parts of the world (not just food).

Let's not try to make everyone feel guilty, let's encourage folks to give, not brow-beat them into giving. And, let's remember there are other places that will always need help.

Fred

PS: Go Red Cross !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    I can't imagine anyone saying NOT to give, unless they have a belief that charites are frauds or something like that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There is a heated debate on a local message board here. Responses for the NOT donating was that there are needy people in their respective country which could use the money.

I am just shaking my head at this one...

For what it's worth, our government does give to needy countries on a continual basis.

Fred: Eathan is right, if you have a spare $1, those people could use it too.

At the end of the day, each of will make up our own decisions on whether to give or not give.

I actaully posted some HTML for the amazon donation link but I guess it must have been removed for HTML issues.

Rhea, no problem. I just got back into the country last night, so this is the first thread I've seen, but I can imagine what some on a few other boards might be like... Eeek!

Fred, thank you for clarifying. I read your post as something completely different than you intended.

Leader, that certainly could be their justification. Still lame to suggest others NOT help, because of their own fear. I'm sure most anyone could find a reputable charity with a little effort.

Speaking of which, what are some other worthwhile charities to consider?
    Eathan Mertz

Hey Eathan,

I am sure others will give a good list of worthwhile charities. Here is one that, I think, gets less coverage than some.

http://www.worldvision.org

Thanks, Ian.
    Eathan Mertz

For crap's sake, Fred, this thread isn't about YOU, or how you feel about ME. I know I annoy you, but that's just too damn bad for you. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it if you'd stop trying to turn this thread into a personal vendetta. It doesn't belong here.

ABW Ambassador
    My donation went to the Red Cross
    As of yesterday they say 18 million has been donated so far.
    Cazzie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> let's encourage folks to give, not brow-beat them into giving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Beg, cajole, coax, inveigle, sweet-talk, browbeat, bully, persuade, shame, soft-soap, sway; whatever works. This is no time to shilly shally!

I am sure many have started dying by now, not from the tsunami but from the lack of rescue.

Infection is already raging through torn bodies for the lack of a 25 cent antibiotic.

They are already fighting over a pack of dried noodles tossed from a truck that dare not stop because if it did it would be swarmed by the hungry.

The fastest and strongest are now grabbing the little available. The old, young and weak are in hell with no hope but us.

No time to be polite.

The scale of this disaster is just mind-numbing.
    But it's heartwarming to see people all over the world coming together and being so generous.

Just an idea, set up a donation box if you're having a NYE party or have a mini auction of something with the proceeds going to the Red Cross, Doctors without Borders or a recognized Tsumani relief appeal.

ABW Ambassador
    Donated to Red Cross too. Here's a good site about the various charities:

http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html

Both the American Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders are top rated.

SSanf, good points.

mousejockey, those are some good ideas that most anyone could do, and Trust, thanks for the resource!
    Eathan Mertz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mousejockey:
    Just an idea, set up a donation box if you're having a NYE party or have a mini auction of something with the proceeds going to the Red Cross, Doctors without Borders or a recognized Tsumani relief appeal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a great idea!!!

this disaster has been so terrible and sad, words cannot express...
    Ebudae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    The US has a current population of 295 million people. One dollar from every man, woman and child in this country would be $295 million dollars. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have no doubt that the total contributions from the US-based charities and the US government will far exceed $295 million once it's all said and done. (There has aleady been over $6 million given through Amazon.com alone.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    For this sort of tragedy, my husband and I gave to the Red Cross. The Red Cross is about medical help, rescue and all that which is what seems most urgent now. Besides, they are pros at this sort of thing.

This happened right after Christmas. We are here comfortable in our homes while people from all nationalities are dying out there.

The places hit are tourist spots. Famous, beautiful beaches where people all over the world go to.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread