Question I want to install PHP in my Windows Workstation for development
    I want to install PHP in my Windows Workstations for development of my sites. I looking at XAMPP for Windows that says it install of the below:

Apache 2.2.17
    MySQL 5.5.8
    PHP 5.3.5
    phpMyAdmin 3.3.9
    FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.37
    Tomcat 7.0.3 (with mod_proxy_ajp as connector)

Has anyone done this??? Any Suggestion??

Thanks
    Kevin.........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

A much easier solution is available at Bitnami. It is free and you can install a whole server with everything in one package. Just download the zip, open and it installs eveything ready to work with. They have versions for Windows, Mac and Linux and it can be just the server or a stack with WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, many others.

For windows, look for the WAMP stack on this page: BitNami :: BitNami Stacks it is about halfway down the page.
    Good luck.

Great.

Thank You!!!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Nice tip 2busy, thats useful.

One other heads up I've ran into, hopefully may save you a headache down the road. Be sure your versions on the development workstation match the versions on your production sites... I've had issues where one PHP version is installed in production, but I'm developing on a different PHP version, and its caused me pains figuring out why something worked fine while I tested it in dev, but had problems when I put it in production.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

5. Thanks From:
    kse

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    One other heads up I've ran into, hopefully may save you a headache down the road. Be sure your versions on the development workstation match the versions on your production sites... I've had issues where one PHP version is installed in production, but I'm developing on a different PHP version, and its caused me pains figuring out why something worked fine while I tested it in dev, but had problems when I put it in production.
    Thanks I.M.O.G. that's a great idea, I will try a test page later tonight My host says it support PHP5, I downloaded 5.3 I doing basis PHP (Just started learning it today) so I will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    A much easier solution is available at Bitnami. It is free and you can install a whole server with everything in one package. Just download the zip, open and it installs eveything ready to work with. They have versions for Windows, Mac and Linux and it can be just the server or a stack with WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, many others.

For windows, look for the WAMP stack on this page: BitNami :: BitNami Stacks it is about halfway down the page.
    Good luck.
    Thanks again, I had it setup and working in 10min!! I am glade I asked!!

You are welcome! I use it to set up WP themes before they go live, it is the best way I found to get it all set up fast. I'm glad to hear it worked right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I want to install PHP in my Windows Workstations for development of my sites. I looking at XAMPP for Windows that says it install of the below:

Apache 2.2.17
    MySQL 5.5.8
    PHP 5.3.5
    phpMyAdmin 3.3.9
    FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.37
    Tomcat 7.0.3 (with mod_proxy_ajp as connector)

Has anyone done this??? Any Suggestion??

Thanks
    Kevin.........
    I have XAMPP running on my xp pc and love it. Also have apache on my Ubuntu set up although it was a bit harder to configure than XAMPP. The Bitnami suggestion from 2busy is great too, but she only tipped me off to that a few days ago.

The main thing is that development servers are easy and everyone should have at least one.

10. Thanks From:
    kse

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread