PHP self Learning & Reference sites
    Ok, I have PHP installed on my workstation. I now want to learn PHP (I know ASP really well) so I would like to have a few suggestions on sites that are out their that I can use as reference for PHP "How To do this in PHP"

Kevin..........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I have run across many smaller sites with step by step guides, but if you aren't trying to do what they are showing they aren't much help. I have 3 reference sites bookmarked:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

http://forums.devshed.com/

The w3schools site is step by step and easy.

Hopefully others have more useful suggestions for learning.

3. Thanks From:

The O'Brien book on "Building a PHP/MySql website" is amazing, well written, and thought provoking. Have a look at that one.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

5. Thanks From:

I remember there being the "php cookbook" which was freely available for download. Try searching for it.

7. Thanks From:
    kse

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

9. Thanks From:
    kse

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

11. Thanks From:
    kse

I now want to learn PHP
    If you want to learn the basics of PHP, check out the tizag site.

PHP Tutorial - Learn PHP

youtube also got some good PHP video tutorials...
    YouTube - ‪PHP Tutorial‬‏

13. Thanks From:
    kse

Eric Nagel posts some useful php tidbits that are specifically geared towards affiliates.... mostly datafeed stuff and some spider type things

Eric Nagel

if you know a technology like ASP you will have no problem at all with php. the php.net manual is usually helpful and there is sample code and user contributed code at the bottom of most pages.

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The O'Brien book on "Building a PHP/MySql website" is amazing, well written, and thought provoking. Have a look at that one.
    Are you certain of the title / author on this? (couldn't find it)

Thx

Ooops. Got typing too fast for my brain to keep up: Amazon.com: Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL eBook: David Lane, Hugh E. Williams: Kindle Store

Published by O'Reilly, not O'Brian
    Last edited by Kevin; June 14th, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I have PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling and Thomson both second and third edition. They come with a CD if you need it.

You might consider phpDesigner 7 which will save you a lot of time in the learning process. phpDesigner 7 - PHP Editor & PHP IDE with built-in HTML, JavaScript, CSS editor! Moderately priced and well supported. I prefer it over my Dreamweaver. Just me though.

Edit: I haven't a clue how I got all that anchor text with that link.
    Last edited by John Powell; June 14th, 2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Weirdness.

19. Thanks From:
    kse

By the way, when you're ready to start writing, download the NetBeans IDE. It's incredible. And free.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

21. Thanks From:
    kse

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Edit: I haven't a clue how I got all that anchor text with that link.
    Option for posting - "Automatically retrieve titles from external links". (Facebook-style)

I learned PHP like I learned HTML, CSS and everything else. Examining what was already out there. With HTML, I "Viewed Source". Of course, you can't do that with PHP, but I did find pre-written examples of what I wanted to to do, studied the code (searched Google for what certain functions did) and learned how to apply it to my own code. And just built from there (with references to php.net).

Been web designing/coding for 17-ish years like that.
    Last edited by mobilebadboy; June 15th, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

23. Thanks From:
    kse

Ooops. Got typing too fast for my brain to keep up: Amazon.com: Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL eBook: David Lane, Hugh E. Williams: Kindle Store

Published by O'Reilly, not O'Brian
    Thanks! Some of the comments imply it is a bit out of date and doesn't really cover php 5 and that a number of examples have errors. Thoughts?

I'm trying to find a decent way for my 14 year old to learn LAMP this summer -- so maybe he can resurrect my expensive but cool price comparison site...

By the way, when you're ready to start writing, download the NetBeans IDE. It's incredible. And free.
    An IDE is a great idea. superCool needs to do that. So much easier when there's instant help. superCool can never quite remember which command to use. It gets old going back to old code to find what you need. Thanks for the reminder!

Kevin if you have any specific tips please PM. (thanks)

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf View Post
    Thanks! Some of the comments imply it is a bit out of date and doesn't really cover php 5 and that a number of examples have errors. Thoughts?

I'm trying to find a decent way for my 14 year old to learn LAMP this summer -- so maybe he can resurrect my expensive but cool price comparison site...
    superCool has a PHP book but never really looked at it much. it might be easier to find a simple online tutorial just to get him/her started and then let them experiment with a local version of your site code.

good luck bringing the kid on board to help you. hope it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf View Post

Hmmm. That's possible. I've owned it a few years now, and only reference it on occasion. I was pretty sure it was PhP5 based however. I'll have a look when I get home tonight and double check.

As for the errors in the examples, while I don't recall having any issues following along, it's a great way to get your troubleshooting skills up to speed
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I want to Thank everyone who posted here and in the "How to install PHP" thread.

I have spent a few hours now converting one of my datafeed sites from ASP Classic to PHP. I not finished yet but all most!! So thank you!!

I have made a decision to no longer create ASP sites due to the fact it getting harder and harder to find good ASP Host that are also affordable.

Its like Beta / VHS, I have been using my beta machine way to long time to get a VHS!!!

Kevin........
    Last edited by kse; June 16th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Since all of the right people are in this thread and its related I will ask this question here:

Is their something I can put in my code that will show me the error in my code and not just a blank screen??

example:

$Page = $_GET["page"]; if i forget the ";" the pages does not load and I have no idea why the pages dows not load.

I have added:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');

at the top of the page but that does not help with these types of errors.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Kevin.....

example:

$Page = $_GET["page"]; if i forget the ";" the pages does not load and I have no idea why the pages dows not load.
    Have you tried this?

$Page = $_GET["page"] or die (mysql_error());

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Have you tried this?

$Page = $_GET["page"] or die (mysql_error());
    Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping their was something I could put at the top of the pages to display any and all errors that may be in the code.

In asp when ever I make an error/typo it gives me the line number and some details on the error which makes it easy to find when I ran the page in IE. Currently with PHP I get no details with these types of errors and the error could be on any of the 500+ lines of code.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Nevermind - you already tried that...
    Last edited by Convergence; June 17th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I apologize up front if you already know about this... but I think what you're looking for is how to do exception and/or error handling? Both are 2 separate but related topics.

Errors are logged in PHP to the php.ini file. These don't display by default because most people don't want errors to be displayed to users. But you can turn them on by modifying the file.
    check out - PHP: Runtime Configuration - Manual

you could also just update the .htaccess file.

I personally think that exception handling is a much better approach since I come from a java/OO background and it just looks more natural too me. I always surround code with try/catch blocks to help find problems.

imho, eclipse with xdebug is the best free ide/debugger to use for php. It will save huge headaches. If anyone has better suggestions i'd like to hear about it. Sorry though, never been a fan of netbeans.

This is actually a pretty big topic, if you need any help just give some examples and i can try to walk you through it.

again, i don't know how familiar you are with programming so i apologize if this is just redundant info.

btw,

the code:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
    ini_set('display_errors', 'On');

won't help because your example is a syntax error.

Not sure if i'm allowed to link to other sites here but this is a good starter on php debugging. Gives an intro to eclipse too, but i really think xdebug is a must have add-on for developing in php.
    Debugging techniques for PHP programmers

Thanks for the suggest I will give them a try.

I am looking for the errors to be displayed to the user since I will only be used in develeopment and not live on the web. So I want to see all errors and have then fixed before it goes live on the web.

Yes I have done some error handling as well.

Thank you
    Kevin......

36. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread