Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I was wondering if anyone has had their sites with datafeeds basically dumped from google altogether. On the 17th, my traffic went from 4000 unique/day to 800/day and has stayed there. We noticed our feeds are basically gone. I haven't seen any threads on it so I wondered if it was just us or others as well.

Thankfully, we have always subscribed to the theory of not putting all your eggs in one basket and have plenty of manually done webpages, but ouch does it hurt in any case.

Thanks
    Robin

REM there are lots of threads here:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...79&f=565603689

I believe everybody has been hurt by this. I don't even use datafeeds and my best converting pages have all but disappeared on Google. You can consider yourself lucky if you're still getting 800/day uniques - mine have been reduced to a trickle!!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Notice how the AM's freely passing out feeds for the mass mirroring of the SERPs are totally silent on this issue. They know the impact of the entire purging of feed sites from the SERPs as they peek at the network combined affiliate force stats. E-mail spammers dead. Datafeed doorway page builders dead. Info scraping and peddling now a criminal offense so that spammy group is in jeopardy. FTC and consumers worldwide want the BHO's browser spammers hanged. Where are the AM's going to go to easily entice the pool of SEO/SEM spammers to make up for the losses in eyeball traffic. My bet is they'll take the path requiring the least amount of work..... new BHO's not on the ABW radar.

Alternative would be to have to pay the couponer/deal sites a slotting fee to actually put up hand made product showcase pages and cure them of cookie stuffing. Hopefully 2005 will show the AM's will find their herd of automation zombies neuters and turn their attention from spam food to actual shopper friendly page builders. Sad. Very few AM's are smart enough to even figure out how to do more ...with less.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Grumpy, I don't usually go to that end of abw. In any case, some of that was informative, but interestingly enough still nothing was mentioned about people with feed pages.

Oh well, back to the grind.

I actually wrote to Google expressing my concern and asked them straight out whether they are targeting affiliate websites with (or without) datafeeds. I received the following reply from them which, in my opinion, is a load of BS and doesn't answer my question at all:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for your note. We don't personally review individual sites, nor do we comment on webmaster techniques or the details of our search technology beyond what appears on our site.

Our search results change regularly as we update our index. Normal changes you observe may include, but are not limited to, addition of new sites, changes in the ranking of existing sites, sites falling out of the index or getting dropped for particular keywords, and fluctuation between old and new webpage content.

We realize these changes can be confusing. However, these processes are completely automated and not indicative of wrong-doing or penalization of individual sites. We currently include over eight billion pages in our index, and it is certainly our intent to represent the content of the internet fairly and accurately.

While we cannot guarantee that any page will consistently appear in our index or appear with a particular rank, we do offer guidelines for maintaining a 'crawler-friendly' site. You can find these guidelines at http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html. Following these recommendations may increase the likelihood that your site will show up consistently in the Google search results.

Regards,
    The Google Team <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Automated" my !! I'm sure they are doing some kind of filtering on affiliate sites in order to force us to go PPC on AdWords. Well they can dream on as far as I'm concerned.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> they are doing some kind of filtering on affiliate sites <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to. When 1,000 affiliates slap up the same feed with the same content, the more "unique" pages and sites rise to the top of the SERP's by default.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> in order to force us to go PPC on AdWords <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If this were the case, Bizrate et al would not be anywhere near the top of SERP's for virtually any product or brand-specific search.

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm sure they are doing some kind of filtering on affiliate sites in order to force us to go PPC on AdWords."

OMG, i don't see any affiliate sites on page 1 of Google, it's true.

Feed sites are yesterday. SE's are fe(e)d up.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm trying to locate a post by SSanf that outlined some of the steps she goes to to MODIFY her feeds.

"OMG, i don't see any affiliate sites on page 1 of Google, it's true. Affiliate marketing is dead. "

ya, will have to close ABW

Don't go by me. I got dumped, too. I am fighting to stay alive out here.

Trying alternative advertising. Tabloids forum sponsorship etc.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

The more people that use Google, the more money that Google makes. The search engine with the best results gets used the most. So Google will keep changing the algo until it gets it right. They certainly don't have the time to hand rank all the listings. However I am sure they type in a search term and see what the results are, then somehow try to add something to the algo to lower the ranking of what they consider to be bad sites. I'm sure this also sometimes takes out good sites, there is no perfect algo. Certainly it will also take out some affiliate sites.

It used to be easy to get to the top of Google, in fact it was so easy people kept making more and more sites. Now maybe it is time to focus on quality instead of quanity. The good news is you won't have so many sites to keep up with.

My main witch data feed site IS QUALITY!

I provide a real service.

People can go there and find all the witch products they need or want from many, many merchants all in one spot.

The users have told me over and over again how much help it is.

Sure it lacks content. So what? You don't need to tell people over and over again what something is when they are looking right at it.

Yeah! That's a picture of a besom, by golly. They already KNOW what a besom is and what it is used for or they wouldn't have searched for "besom" in the first place!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

This is what I found on Google's Guidlines Page

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Quality Guidelines - Specific recommendations:

Avoid hidden text or hidden links.
    Don't employ cloaking or sneaky redirects.
    Don't send automated queries to Google.
    Don't load pages with irrelevant words.
    Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.
    Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines, or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So how can we expect from google not to filter out the affiliate sites.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I have to chime in because I am totally baffled by the big G.. I have both hand built and datafeed sites.

I put up a site about 2 weeks ago? A datafeed site. Put up the merchandise and basic structure, contact info, about us,...no links, no content. Planning to add content and such as the site matures, thinking it will be awhile until it gets into any SERPS. One link in from one of my oldest sites w/only a pr3. Google has grabbed about 1500 pages so far and I am coming up pages 1-10 for various products????

Only reason I knew I was getting traffic was because click throughs were showing up on CJ stats for that merchant and I couldn't figure out why. So I checked my stats.

Go figure. I dont get it. It is not an empty niche. A lot of the search terms are any where from 1000 to 20,000 search returns, not huge but definitely not empty.

I give up with G.

While my other sites took forever to show up.

I've seen pr4 sites w/no incoming links only deep internal linking structure...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    One must make a site that is google-proof, (and yahoo proof as well) by placing content that guarantees visitors. This may be the new face of affiliate mktg

Merry Christmas everyone!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    >This may be the new face of affiliate mktg

THAT is the way it's done!
    Has been from the beginning!

Feeds & FPCs and other dup content STUFF just made some forget it....

ABW Ambassador
    "This may be the new face of affiliate mktg"

I would say that's the original face. People had websites before merchants had affiliate programs. Merchants realized they could get some extra eyeballs/traffic/sales by having links on those sites to theirs and those site owners realized they could make some money so affiliate marketing was good for that. In the old days it was more make a site that you have some sort of interest in and then came the merchants. Nowadays for many it's first go find a merchant, then go make a site. Nowadays some get some sort of thrill by being able to throw up a site in hours or in a day. That kind of thing worked for awhile and may still for some but if you think it still will in the future, you're living in a yesterday frame of thinking. Time is better spent building quality affiliate sites. The throw up a site in a day, hundreds of thousands of product pages kind of affiliate will become dinosaurs.

"...approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content. "

Translation: "approaches such as affiliate programs." Period.

If you're in their database -cool, if not - plan accordingly...

Fred

Just to add...I'm not saying I expect my DB sites to do any betteror worse than my hand built sites.

I am trying many different approaches and was quite shocked actually to be getting traffic on a brand new site w/no links or original content...

I have no bias as to one or another.
    As long as it works I will not complain
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Your right Trust, the original plan was for people that already had sites and traffic to put up banners for the merchants. The merchants got exposure but for the most part people didn't make much money. Much more money was made when people started creating sites for products. Sell what they search for. Time to move on to plan C. Going back to plan A is not a good option.

ABW Ambassador
    The Plan A part of going back to making sites that stand on their own:

"One must make a site that is google-proof, (and yahoo proof as well)"

is always a good option, something to build upon. Then you can complement that with some B and C and the rest of the alphabet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Enjoy crowing, content-is-kingers, but I think you're totally wrong about this algo!

Personally I've found that the site I have the most links-in to, is still doing fine. I think the fact that it's a c*ntent site is irrelevant (beyond making it easier to get link exchanges). And I KNOW that the originality factor has nothing to do with it: It's got the exact same stuff as about 1000 others in its category, with a sprinkling of new stuff on top. And, of course, there are some related product feeds for a store section.

Just for kicks I'm checking on one product that I've got on, I think, 3 sites.

The site with the most links is at #8 (Underneath a competing site that's obviously a feed site). This site gets, on average, 2 link exchanges/week.

The other sites, which I have not gotten many links for, and no new ones, aren't even in the top 100.

So I think Google is paying a lot more attention to link activity. It's no longer working to get, oh, 3 or 4 links and then leave it that way forever.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "One must make a site that is google-proof, (and yahoo proof as well)"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The road to Google-and-Yahoo-proofing is called MARKETING or ADVERTISING.

So long as you depend on SE's for 100% of, or a large percentage of your traffic, you are at the mercy of a force that is outside the realm of your own control. You are Humpty Dumpty. Good luck!

I agree with that general premise, Beef, but have yet to see ANY kind of advertising--on or offline--that can come close to the scale required to make a living at this...AND doesn't cost an absolute mint.

The thing is--you may get as many *eyeballs* as the SEs give you, with other advertising. BUT regular ads don't have the targeting of an SE. So most of those non-SE viewers will be "chaff." You may advertise to 10,000 people with a regular ad and get 10 who are actually interested in the item at all. If your pitch is great, you may generate interest in another 10 people, giving you 20. But if you get 10,000 hits from an SE, chances are that ALL OF THEM will have at least some interest in the *exact* item you're pushing.

So...how do you propose we get by the fact that regular advertising naturally hits a base that includes a vast amount of uninterested people? Even category-specific ads don't exclude those who aren't interested in the particular product you have up.

ABW Ambassador
    "ANY kind of advertising--on or offline--that can come close to the scale required to make a living at this...AND doesn't cost an absolute mint."

Make good site ----> word of mouth ----> free

PPC is targetted as you want it to be. So you got that.

"So...how do you propose we get by the fact that regular advertising naturally hits a base that includes a vast amount of uninterested people?"

Make a site that you would want to spend advertising money on and has a broad appeal. There are affiliates out there with sites that could be yanked out of all the SE's and still gets lots of traffic and make money. So it can be done. First affiliate site i was aware of is a coupon site that my friend at work told me about. Word of mouth advertising.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast