Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bing keeps my site in an iframe
    Mods: PLEASE change the subject to "Bing".. quite the typo!

I've been noticing a bump in traffic from Bing - now I'm not complaining, but I'm concerned about the behavior of their image search results.

For example, when you perform an image search for "boats" - boat - Bing Images

Click on any of the thumbnails, and you are presented with a preview of the page, as well as a thumbnail strip across the top (containing more results).

The preview is fine, but when you click on any of the internal links on your own site, you remain in Bing's own site, with a Bing URL.

I realize there is an "Image Source" link to the URL (which opens the site in a new target window), but I'm not pleased to see they have framed my site with a Bing header. And they have merged Bing with MSN here.

Anyone else have a problem with this..?

Maybe this has been here all along, but I don't like it.
    Last edited by teezone; June 15th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

2. Thanks From:

I have the following code on a few site to prevent this but I not sure if it will work for Bing. I had a few sites framing a few of my pages:

<!-- Burst Frames if another site trys to put my site in their frame //-->
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    if (top.frames.length!=0)
    top.location=self.document.location;
    </SCRIPT>
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Bong does get attention...

Change made.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    If you allow Bing or any other search engine to index / cache your content in exchange for traffic then you can either contact them and express your concerns or accept what they do.

Would be different if you were paying to get indexed - but it's free traffic based on their rules...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

If you allow Bing or any other search engine to index / cache your content in exchange for traffic then you can either contact them and express your concerns or accept what they do.
    That's not the point of the discussion I'm starting here... I understand I can add an exclusion to my robots.txt, and "express my concern" to them.

The terms & conditions of most websites say you cannot place the site in an iframe.. and if this were a new search engine, or browser toolbar, I bet the community would be up in arms. So it's ok for Bing to violate terms & conditions..?

At what point will the Bing/MSN header have the ability to overwrite cookies..? Perhaps for a merchant, an iframe is no big deal, sales are sales.. but as a publisher, I don't want another site interfering with mine.

This discussion is about awareness, I'm not asking for advice how to handle this for my own sites. Just because a search engine can collect data, it doesn't give them the right to place those sites in their own.

Added: kse, thanks for the reminder, I forgot about that little bit of code since I moved to a new CMS!
    Last edited by teezone; June 15th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    That's not the point of the discussion I'm starting here... I understand I can add an exclusion to my robots.txt, and "express my concern" to them.

The terms & conditions of most websites say you cannot place the site in an iframe.. and if this were a new search engine, or browser toolbar, I bet the community would be up in arms. So it's ok for Bing to violate terms & conditions..?

At what point will the Bing/MSN header have the ability to overwrite cookies..? Perhaps for a merchant, an iframe is no big deal, sales are sales.. but as a publisher, I don't want another site interfering with mine.

This discussion is about awareness, I'm not asking for advice how to handle this for my own sites. Just because a search engine can collect data, it doesn't give them the right to place those sites in their own.
    Are they framing other than your images?

Are they overwriting cookies?

If you feel they are interfering with your site then convince them to stop or stop them from doing so.

It's a symbiotic relationship. You want your content indexed so their users can find you. You give them content and in turn you hope to receive traffic. It's your content that brings users to their website so they can make money off of advertising. Nothing is free.

It's their website, their rules...

Are they framing other than your images?
    Did you test the link provided? They are framing entire sites...

I don't know if they are overwriting cookies.. maybe not now, but could they add code later? That's the point of this discussion.
    It's their website, their rules...
    It's not their website, it's mine.. in a frame.

This is a general discussion, I'm starting a dialogue about the issue, not looking for advice on how to handle my own site.

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I have the following code on a few site to prevent this but I not sure if it will work for Bing. I had a few sites framing a few of my pages
    Worked like a charm, thanks kse!

Did you test the link provided? They are framing entire sites...
    Strange, first time I went to the link I didn't notice the site below the images. Showed up VERY clearly this time.

I don't know if they are overwriting cookies.. maybe not now, but could they add code later? That's the point of this discussion.It's not their website, it's mine.. in a frame.

This is a general discussion, I'm starting a dialogue about the issue, not looking for advice on how to handle my own site.
    And I'm sharing in that dialogue but not participating in a witch hunt. Not trying to be pissy or challenge you. You posted. I responded with my 2 cents...

I have the following code on a few site to prevent this but I not sure if it will work for Bing. I had a few sites framing a few of my pages:

</SCRIPT>
    Going to start adding that as sites are being updated.

Good to know something preemptive can be done...

12. Thanks From:

This wasn't a witch hunt - I just wanted to raise awareness. Heck iframes may have been there all along, I was just caught off guard this afternoon. Photo licensing is my biggest monthly expense, and I didn't want to have to ban Bing...

Iframes have always been a big deal to me (in case you hadn't noticed!), we publishers deal with enough issues like scraping, toolbars etc. I'm a little disappointed to see Bing use this old technology to feed MSN.

It's been years since I've seen my site in an iframe (reminds me of 2007), and thanks to kse for the snippet!
    Last edited by teezone; June 15th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

It has been years since I've seen my site in an iframe, it feels like 2006.
    About.com does it to external links pretty consistently. I implemented code to break the frames years ago.

There have been lawsuits over framing. There was a news site that was framing the big boys (WSJ and Yahoo were involved, IIRC) and got sued by a bunch of them. Settled out of court.

hope this doesn't derail the thread, but what about the way google image search shows your site behind the image, but your site is grayed out. heard about a wordpress plugin that might get rid of that and open your page directly, but not sure if it's the same type of deal. any way to break out of that situation? will probably try this bit of code to see if it works.

thanks for this info everyone

About.com does it to external links pretty consistently.
    My sister has an information website (not affiliate), and this makes her crazy... but the traffic is decent enough that she lets it slide. They also present the link as a recommended resource, so she made a judgment call and left it alone.
    but what about the way google image search shows your site behind the image, but your site is grayed out
    I've never minded that thumbnail result, I actually get pretty good traffic from those looking for the original image - Google presents a pretty clear link to "Website for this image". And when you click on the thumbnail, the visitor is directed to your site (as far as I know).
    Last edited by teezone; June 15th, 2011 at 04:52 PM.

Glad I could help!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

And...

It works on the Google as well - lol

Yes, thanks KSE!

Thanks. Added to my sites.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I really think that someone else on ABW gave me that code years ago when I asked the same question or reported the same problem!!! So incase your still here and remember giving me the code: Thank you!!!

I really think that someone else on ABW gave me that code years ago when I asked the same question or reported the same problem!!! So incase your still here and remember giving me the code: Thank you!!!
    Dejav˙?

I just noticed that you give that same code to teezone over three years ago.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...ed-100027.html

It's good to know that the same code still works.

thank you for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Dejav˙?

I just noticed that you give that same code to teezone over three years ago.
    I actually found that same thread last night! I switched to a CMS two years ago, and didn't transition the snippet.. I knew there was header code, but started this thread to raise the issue that Bing results were iframing sites
    Last edited by teezone; June 16th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.

Anyone who has had this up for a while seeing any such ill effects?

I remember putting up such a script up about a year ago and then took it down.

But now I can't remember why. I vaguely recall looking at my analytics and seeing bounce rate going up. Most likely because visitors don't really want to be on your site in the first place and just meaning to have a closer look at the pictures. Be ticked off and then hit the back or close X button. I am a bit concerned about this since it seems that Panda 2.2 may be coming out anytime soon if not here already and don't want bounce rate to affect my sites.

Or if you have Adsense on your site see that earnings go down? I did some more research last night and I read somewhere that it will cause your page to load twice, causing page views to go up, eCPM go down? Perhaps may red flag your Google acct if visitors views doubled? Cause G ban?

Anyway, I put it back up again and see what happens in a day or two. I have seen too many of my images stolen and tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    hope this doesn't derail the thread, but what about the way google image search shows your site behind the image, but your site is grayed out. heard about a wordpress plugin that might get rid of that and open your page directly, but not sure if it's the same type of deal. any way to break out of that situation? will probably try this bit of code to see if it works.

thanks for this info everyone
    I added it to my sites and it did bust out of Google Images and went to my page when it loaded.

</SCRIPT>
    Does this go into the header code in WP?

tia

Yes - it goes in the head.

28. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast