OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Merchants viewing affiliates as idiots!!
    Or worse, Affiliate Managers or Outsourced Program Managers (OPM). Savvy affiliates are like investors, they research a merchant before spending their time and money (Paid Search) promoting them. Sorry for the rant but if you are going to post on a forum, post on Facebook and sent a tweet about a new affiliate program, make sure you include a link to the website. It does two things, saves the affiliate the time to search for the merchant and tracks how many are coming from your post. Plus, the backlink helps the merchant and points to the affiliate program. That's a no cost way to get SERPs for your program. Don't make the affiliate work so hard to check out your site.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Or worse, Affiliate Managers or Outsourced Program Managers (OPM). Savvy affiliates are like investors, they research a merchant before spending their time and money (Paid Search) promoting them. Sorry for the rant but if you are going to post on a forum, post on Facebook and sent a tweet about a new affiliate program, make sure you include a link to the website. It does two things, saves the affiliate the time to search for the merchant and tracks how many are coming from your post. Plus, the backlink helps the merchant and points to the affiliate program. That's a no cost way to get SERPs for your program. Don't make the affiliate work so hard to check out your site.
    But how can you ask for affiliates online as you will get banned or link will be removed on any forum you ask for an affiliate. Also how do you differentiate between quality of any affiliate, whether it will be able to give you business or not

But how can you ask for affiliates online as you will get banned or link will be removed on any forum you ask for an affiliate.
    You pay for an announcement: Paid Announcements and Advertising - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    That thread is open for 30 days and you can use every day to add more benefits of your program. You can also list all your contact information. Make sure to include images too as they help to purvey a better sense of your program. I see that the last dozen announcements didn't list images or a link to their site.

Also how do you differentiate between quality of any affiliate, whether it will be able to give you business or not
    That's your job as the affiliate manager, there are dozens of discussions on ABW about screening affiliates. Part of the education on becoming an AM. Look for discussions on what tools members prefer for added ideas.

Not sure I understand the thread title...seems this is about a basic marketing tip for merchants recruiting affs rather than them viewing affs as idiots.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

5. Thanks From:

Renée was a rant. After 6.5 years on this forum its amazing to me how many program announcements don't include a link to the merchant site. Do they think that affiliates join programs because their commission is the greatest. No affiliate join programs because of the opportunity and they thoroughly evaluate the site before joining. Its no different then running a $10k ad in the NY Times and not include an address or phone number to the store.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I think it is now an absolute necessity that program ads say whether or not the merchant accepts affiliates from Affiliate-Nexus Tax states.

In the spirit of the thread title, I believe this incident is indicative of "Merchants viewing affiliates as idiots".:

After the CA tax bill was signed into law, I applied to a few new merchants, most based in CA, but some not*, and in so doing, I specifically asked them about their policy on retaining or firing CA affiliates. My application was accepted by one particular merchant and a representative of the merchant responded to my inquiry, saying they were not firing CA affiliates. The next day, she wrote back, saying that the owner of the company had changed his mind, and that they would NOT be collecting CA taxes and would be firing their CA affiliates.

A week later, and still shown as "active" in their program, I received a solicitation from their affiliate manager, asking me to join their program.
    ___
    *The "nots" were merchants who have products that I desperately need to replace and can find available from no "safe" merchants.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Programs
    I think the biggest, most well-known Networks are out there so if you need a link it's probably not an Affiliate network that a publisher would want to work with. And if you do come across a network and want to know more about them, look to see what awards they have run. It will gauge their success that will transfer to your success. Forbes is a great first place to look.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread