Magento Shopping Cart Being Acquired by eBay
    I've been searching for a shopping cart, and I really like what I've seen of Magento. But then, in an unrelated thread, I saw that Magento is being acquired by eBay. Here's a news article about it:

Yireo - eBay will acquire Magento

How do you think that will affect future development of Magento? Will the open source community continue to grow and support it?

My gut says that it will, but it certainly raises some doubts.

Thoughts?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Michael, The community version is free as you know from your research, Magento launched a Go version recently which offers hosting and support. Magento can be a bit of a resource hog as well. Check out Nexcess.net, they host magento carts and offer support on the core files. They know Magento well and I used them before (business failed, not mine so I no longer use them)

If you choose a paid cart, have a serious look at CoreCommerce. I've spent the last couple weeks researching carts, and they impress me the most.

as for Ebay buying Varien, not sure if that would be a good thing for the free version, the enterprise version cost a fortune and I'm sure Ebay wants the technology for it's prostores.
    Last edited by dflsports; June 16th, 2011 at 11:02 AM.

One of the features I liked the most with Magento was that it looked fairly easy to create a "Wholesale Store", where I could include the same products but have different pricing, minimum order sizes, and different shipping prices.

CoreCommerce does look very nice, but I want to get away from the hosted solutions and host something myself.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    CoreCommerce does look very nice, but I want to get away from the hosted solutions and host something myself.
    Me too!!!

I have looked at CoreCommerce......Looked good........I feel like Michael does about hosting myself. Need that control.

I also have checked Magento. Heard all the stories about it being slow and cumbersome......In my humble and opinionated opinion...Ebay will ruin it.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I have no first hand experience with Prestashop, but it's suppose to be good open source software.

I wonder if ebay shopped around the open source carts? Magento seems to be one of the few open source carts that offers a paid version, as I said before, I think one version is $2995 and the full enterprise version is $9995, per year. And now with the Go version, which is what they might like most, since it targets ebay type sellers and integrates very easily with all paypal gateway solutions, an added bonus.

I used to use a little perl script cart, not open source, but it did everything I needed. It can run off a flat file database or a php/MySQL database. It is highly configurable and I set it up by myself many years ago (it's that easy). They are still in business. It is a one time purchase and uses plain html forms to add to cart. It does not require a secure server because nothing sensitive is stored online, my shoppers were sent to Authorize.net or Verisign for their payments, but it works with paypal too. It can be configured to use a secure server if you prefer, just not required. Uses cookies or IPs and has an integrated search. I used it without problems for about 8 years. It is called Dansie cart and I don't know the price today but back then it was around $300.

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    I know this is a bit of an older thread...but as a web developer I just wanted to put my 2cents in....I have tried Magento 2x...once when they first launched then again last year - and hated it. It is a resource hog...the free version is minimal in features...support is lacking on that version and addons can be pricey. it is hard to customize on the back end as well if you are not a php/css pro.....I build every ecommerce site i do in zencart which offers the wholesale you are looking for.....zencart is a more basic cart but can be customized to do what ever you need.....I would be glad to talk to you if you are still looking at options if you have questions about it...its free...support is great on the forums...and you can add exactly what you need with all the free modules available....and it is self hosted.....I have yet to work with another system I have liked as much for the lower-mid range ecommerce biz.
    Jill Caren

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPlayToys View Post
    ...I build every ecommerce site i do in zencart which offers the wholesale you are looking for.....zencart is a more basic cart but can be customized to do what ever you need..
    I worked with ZenCart once for a client when I was in the design biz, it was clutzy, but certainly did the job. As I may be branching out, I see that ZenMagick (ZenMagick: Smart e-commerce), which is based on ZC, is supposed to be the next evolution of it. Have you checked this out yet?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    take a look at vpasp it does a great cart for a low price
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Joy I have looked at it and do intend to try it out ---- my concern is that it is so new and a one man team.....but he seems to know what he is doing and my initial peak thinks its a strong platform....just worried about the fact that he is small and can go away tomorrow....

Zen can be a bit clunky I agree....but the sites i do are so transformed you never know they are a zen on the front or backend.....I love it.....

If I get a chance to play with zenmagik this summer I will post back..hope to have some time this month.....
    Jill Caren

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Shopping Cart Software and Ecommerce Software by Volusion Ecommerce Solution is a winner for the big ecommerce playas and the small fry unable to keep up with cart version and CC policy changes
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Yes but that's hosted with ongoing.... what $100 a month

You can but vpasp for $3-500 and never have monthly costs.

Look at their demo.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPlayToys View Post
    Joy I have looked at it and do intend to try it out ---- my concern is that it is so new and a one man team.....but he seems to know what he is doing and my initial peak thinks its a strong platform....just worried about the fact that he is small and can go away tomorrow..
    Yes, a concern for any open source software. I saw that it was PHP 5.3 ready, that's what attracted me. I've had so many problems with older open source scripts and updating them (the eregi function especially). It seems that future development will completely break away from the ZC code, so looks like it's better to wait for that iteration.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Ebay simply smell the aroma of a good tasting coffee on Magento. Another acquisition they think will benefit them both. I wonder how this acquisition going by the way now.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    eBay to launch open commerce platform at Innovate DevCon
    Received this email today:

eBay to launch open commerce platform at Innovate DevCon

PayPal, eBay, and Magento are coming together to release a new open commerce platform: X.commerce. This end-to-end solution combines the very best from the biggest names in commerce to give developers and merchants the tools to succeed.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I've said it before and have seen plenty of merchant change to Magento because its free. Still fighting issue with a merchant who rolled over this month and things don't work. Totally screwed up our coupon admin and now I have to rework everything a different way. Finally heard that the vendor wasn't making more changes because they burned through their time frame by 50%.

Are you saying "free" platforms don't work?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am saying that open source (free) doesn't have tech support like a paid solution and to not minimalize the installation. This is the forth Magento conversion I have gone through in three years and they all had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    ...This is the forth Magento conversion I have gone through in three years and they all had issues.
    Ah, so you've had issues with Magento...

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread