Paper checks sent via snail mail as the only payment option? Really?
    Clickbank, Amazon Associates, CJ, Shareasale etc...

It's 2011 and they can only send paper checks via snail mail? Why?

I live in Hungary so the direct deposit is not available.

But what about Paypal or MoneyBookers? Isn't it free for merchants to send mass payments via Paypal? I would happily cover all the Paypal fees.

It takes 60-90 days and it costs $30 for me to process each paper check.

Hostgator is also an US company, and surprise surprise, they pay affiliates via Paypal!

What is this pervert addiction to paper checks?

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post

But what about Paypal or MoneyBookers? Isn't it free for merchants to send mass payments via Paypal? I would happily cover all the Paypal fees.

Hostgator is also an US company, and surprise surprise, they pay affiliates via Paypal!

US Americans love paper checks. There is never any fees associated with them and everyone here has a personal or business checking account. Often a bank that is only minutes away from their office or home. Also, now there is even iphone apps where you can take a picture of the check with your phone and it deposits it right to your account.

I don't mind receiving a wire or payment via paypal right into my checking account, but I don't want to pay any of the fees. Especially if you receive several payments from several different companies... it adds up.

Checks are so easy for both parties to use in the US, it has nothing really to do with not getting up with technology (after all for the most part we are all on the cutting edge of technology), its just the ease of using checks in the US that is why these companies continue to use them. Those of you who live out of the US unfortunately suffer for this since the circumstances are a lot different for you.

Also, I prefer not have 3rd party handle my money. While I don't think paypal is going to disappear anytime soon (though you never know about some of the others - Epassporte),or something comes up to cause your money to be tied up or worst you lose it. I've never had a check lost in the mail and I've received 1000's of them over the years, and there is no "middle man" in the process who I have to worry about.
    Last edited by GlobalMediaEx; June 18th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.

3. Thanks From:

I doubt it is easier for them to pay international affiliates with paper checks. They have to create the checks then mail them, it costs money and time for them, and for the affiliate, it costs even more.

With Paypal they could click a few buttons and that's it. It is free, the affiliate covers the Paypal fees.

Amazon Associates charges $15 / paper checks.

I can't believe that they rather write thousands of checks then mail them for $15 / each check, rather than click a few buttons in their Paypal account. This is simply stupid.
    Last edited by Charybdis; June 19th, 2011 at 08:13 AM.

15 years and counting
    Amazon, CJ, Shareasale have been in business a long time. They have affiliates all around the world. Why do you think they don't use PayPal? Shareasale was paying their affiliates with PayPal at the beginning. If they don't do it anymore they must have a reason.
    You don't think they are stupid?

And what is this reason?

If they don't like Paypal, there are other alternatives (like MoneyBookers).

15 years and counting
    Look around the web for PayPal horror stories or even MoneyBookers. I've a PayPal account, I like it but you have to be very careful the way you use it. I will not trust my paypal account to receive money from major networks. DD or checks are safer.

8. Thanks From:

I doubt it is easier for them to pay international affiliates with paper checks. They have to create the checks then mail them, it costs money and time for them, and for the affiliate, it costs even more.

With Paypal they could click a few buttons and that's it. It is free, the affiliate covers the Paypal fees.

Amazon Associates charges $15 / paper checks.

I can't believe that they rather write thousands of checks then mail them for $15 / each check, rather than click a few buttons in their Paypal account. This is simply stupid.
    It suspect that a lot of these companies are making money off of charging a "fee" to send you a check payment. Personally, I think forcing the affiliate to pay a fee to get paid is extortion. Notice I said "forcing", which means that they provide no free methods to get paid. If they offer checks for free but want to charge you $35 for a wire, $5 for paypal or whatever that is fine. You at least have an option to get paid without having to pay money.

I would never charge affiliates to receive a check. Printing a check, putting it in an envelope an placing a stamp on it is all part of doing business imo. No different than when I pay my hosting bill, I don't deduct $10 off the bill when I send my host, landlord, or electric company a check in the mail, why should I charge an affiliate to receive a check from me?

You think it is stupid, they obviously don't think so.

And what is this reason?

If they don't like Paypal, there are other alternatives (like MoneyBookers).
    Perhaps you should ask them what their reason is.

I know lots of people who lost lots of money with epassporte, which was one of the big wallet, 3rd party processors. There is always a risk when dealing with a 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Look around the web for PayPal horror stories or even MoneyBookers. I've a PayPal account, I like it but you have to be very careful the way you use it. I will not trust my paypal account to receive money from major networks. DD or checks are safer.
    google: epassporte

When given the option of a 3rd party payment method or check, i ALWAYS select check. Too much risk dealing with these billing companies. It only takes one time to burn you bad, and I've had it happen more than once over the years. I learned my lesson. Everyone else who hasn't just assumes that these companies are 100% fool proof and nothing will ever happen. Although I am in the US so I have luxury of being able to receive and use checks easily without fees. Now if they want to send me a wire for free, I'd take that! But unless you sending good volume of sales I wouldn't expect mainly to offer that for free.
    Last edited by GlobalMediaEx; June 19th, 2011 at 04:29 PM.

But the affiliate network could include the Paypal payment option, the affiliate takes the risk and pays the fees anyway. It wouldn't hurt to offer it as an option.

And why is direct deposit available only for US affiliates?

By the way, it is true that Amazon Associates charges $15 processing fee / each check.
    Last edited by Charybdis; June 20th, 2011 at 06:28 AM.

Affiliate Network Rep Commission Factory's Avatar
    In Australia overseas paper checks are expensive to process. Using PayPal or related electronic transfers really does make sense. I mean even with the fees.
    Zane McIntyre | Network Director
    [URL="http://www.commissionfactory.com.au"][B]Commission Factory - An Australian Affiliate Network[/B][/URL]
    Follow or Like Us: [URL="http://twitter.com/commissionfacto"]Twitter[/URL] | [URL="http://www.facebook.com/commissionfactory"]Facebook[/URL] | [URL="http://www.linkedin.com/company/commission-factory"]LinkedIn[/URL]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalMediaEx View Post
    US Americans love paper checks. There is never any fees associated with them and everyone here has a personal or business checking account. Often a bank that is only minutes away from their office or home.
    Yes, it does appear so. Personally, I hate them. Prefer direct deposit. Last month our check from a UK network wasn't signed. That was fun. To top it off it takes forever sometimes for that UK check to clear.

Another reason for not liking paper checks are fees. Since our company rarely receives checks for anything our business account has a fee structure that charges after xx amount of paper checks or manual transactions. All other types of electronic transactions carry no fees. Receive a bunch of checks and you either pay service fees up front or on the back end...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Commission Factory View Post
    In Australia overseas paper checks are expensive to process. Using PayPal or related electronic transfers really does make sense. I mean even with the fees.
    I totally agree with this and the OP. Lucky that most of the large networks including CJ do direct deposits to Australia but Linkshare are still living in the dark ages as if you change anything in your account then they revert you back to checks for the first payment again. I find that a lot of American Indy's will only send checks but after bugging a few of them and explaining that each check takes up to 30 days to process and up to $20 per check some of them have especially used PayPal for me. Just keep pressuring them and they might start listening....
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Paper checks suck, period.

It takes 3 months to get paid (no kidding), and the processing fee is about $30.

They could use Paypal or Xoom.com. Much better.

Why can the US hosting companies pay their affiliates by Paypal?

And why do Clickbank, Amazon Associates, Shareasale and CJ pay international affiliates only by paper check? They are simply ignorant.
    Last edited by Charybdis; June 25th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.

Direct deposit is the best way to get paid faster. If that is not available, Paper Checks are the next best alternative.
    Avoid Paypal or Xoom, if you can.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Charybdis,

It isn't ignorance on the issue that drives decisions, I know payments are important - and getting them to affiliates both here in the U.S. as well as internationally is very important to us. However, having them secure is just as important.

There are some payment services that, while fast, we don't feel are secure enough for the standards that I would like to see in payments.

Specifically for ShareASale, we offer Direct Deposit in Canada, Mexico, UK, Australia, New Zealand, most of the EURO countries throughout Europe/Scandanavia as well as to all of our US based Affiliates.

We are constantly adding new countries as they become available through our Bank - but I don't anticipate anytime soon utilizing a service such as Paypal or other money "emailers".
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

17. Thanks From:

Thank you, makes sense.

I understand Brian's concern, having a large percentage of your affiliate base's compensation system tied to Paypal seems like a big business risk. These sorts of payment processors seem much more likely to change their policies at any time, compared to traditional banking payment options like direct deposit and paper checks. If Paypal makes a change, and SAS is depending on it heavily to get their affiliates paid, that could mean a major disruption in their business process overnight which they have no control over. It sounds like Brian has "security" concerns, but I would think the lack of control and uncertainty with services like paypal and others could be concerning also.

However, if affiliates are given more options in how they choose to receive their payments... it seems as though essentially they would be accepting the risk if they choose "non-primary" SAS payment methods. It looks like a few people would like the option, and it would even save some money on the check processing fees.

Brian, do the barriers large networks face towards offering more payment choices only boil down to security concerns and stability of the payment processors, or is there more?
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

ABW Ambassador
    The problem with Paypal I have found is there terrible exchange rates, they are making huge mark up in exchange rates that are way off the true rate.

I have also found this to be the case with direct deposits for some networks. The only network I have found that will pay close to the true rate is CJ strangely enough. All the others are making nice markups on the rates including ShareAsale although I would guess it is not them that are making the profits from the exchange rate profits but their bankers who must be laughing all the way to the bank for big International earners.

Some Indys are making unbelievable amounts on exchange rates, there was one recently that paid me a check of around $600. The exchange rates was around $1.04 AU to $1 US, they paid me around $1.15 which is absurd and even worse than PayPal's markup on exchange rates.

So if you are making big amounts with anyone besides CJ then I would suggest staying with checks as it might turn out to be a lot more profitable even if you have to pay $20 per check and wait a month for it to clear. You also have the luxury of banking it when the rates are best too.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Network Rep Commission Factory's Avatar
    While PayPal charges fees maybe considered high, consider this:

How much is it worth as an Affiliate to be paid instantly?
    How much does it cost to wait 30 days for clearance? Cash flow etc
    What is piece of mind worth - that you now that payment is in, and not having to wait for it to arrive in the post?

With every form of payment, including bank deposit, there is always some risk and fees (international payments). I have been an affiliate for years and prefer PayPal. If I lived in another country other than Australia than this maybe different.

In the past it has annoyed me when I get checks from the US for $30 - I take it too the bank (I know Australian is behind) - they convert it too AUD, then take $10 AUD for processing fee, then I am left with $17.00 that takes 30 days to clear. Hardly worth my or anyone's time (I have a stack of them on my desk). Big amounts I can understand. The best networks convert it to local currency and to a local addressed bank for you, which is great then you only have to wait 3 days.

This subject of payments is dependent on the affiliates personal situation including affiliates country, networks country, PayPal account type, level of patience, business model, bank fees, network fees, etc......I could keep going.

Maybe the solution like someone said is various payment options. However be prepared for networks to increase or implement fees to handle the administration of coordinating various methods (DD, PayPal, Check etc).
    Zane McIntyre | Network Director
    [URL="http://www.commissionfactory.com.au"][B]Commission Factory - An Australian Affiliate Network[/B][/URL]
    Follow or Like Us: [URL="http://twitter.com/commissionfacto"]Twitter[/URL] | [URL="http://www.facebook.com/commissionfactory"]Facebook[/URL] | [URL="http://www.linkedin.com/company/commission-factory"]LinkedIn[/URL]

Some of them allowed wireless transfer after you received checks two times, as to paypal I don't know.

Um, the only paper check I get is from CJ. The others are direct deposit, paypal or gift cards.

Paper checks suck, period.

It takes 3 months to get paid (no kidding), and the processing fee is about $30.

They could use Paypal or Xoom.com. Much better.

Why can the US hosting companies pay their affiliates by Paypal?

And why do Clickbank, Amazon Associates, Shareasale and CJ pay international affiliates only by paper check? They are simply ignorant.

You must not live in the Us? My paper checks come monthly right on time and with no fees.

Shareasale does direct deposit, that's the way i get it. Amazon, I do gift cards. But I am with so many networks I just choose different forms of payment for the fun of it, lol.

Re: Payment types
    Good networks will have more than one form of payment- wires, paypal, check, direct deposit. Etc.

Definitely see what they can do about getting you set up for something you can actually use!

Smile Paper Checks... really?
    I agree with Jennifer. Established networks will have better methods of payment for their international affiliates. In your case they should offer a paypal method or some type of wire transfer. Do your research they are the biggest networks and are more reliable than smaller ones.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I wonder how hard it would be for larger networks to set up payment partners in countries where they have a lot of affiliates, then it would be a simple matter of one wire payment to that partner (with one fee) and then local payments from there. Sure the network would have some monthly costs to manage such a firm but it would certainly speed up the process and save affiliates money.

Personally I like Payoneer. I have a US account set up with them which allows me to take US direct deposit payments and then use those funds as US$ on the related debit card or draw them as cash locally, yes charges apply, but no 3 month payment delays

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Affiliate Manager Nissim-Payoneer's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words, Chris.

If anyone is getting paid from an affiliate program or business and thinks implementing Payoneer would be a good idea, let us know about it. Also, let them know about it. We offer payments directly to a prepaid debit card, and in addition offering ACH transfers within the US and international local bank transfers (currently available in 30 countries and expanding).

As for security, we comply with all applicable online payment regulations including KYC (Know Your Customer), BSA (Bank Secrecy Act), AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control), in addition to rules and regulations imposed by MasterCard, our issuing bank and Payoneer. Financial security for both our partners and cardholders is and will always be a top priority for us.

Edit: 30 countries for LBT
    Last edited by Nissim-Payoneer; July 28th, 2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typo

29. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread