Ask Gov. Brown to veto AB1 28 (Advertising-Nexus Tax Bill)
    California Governor Jerry Brown has been quoted as saying that the pending Advertising-Nexus tax bill (ABX1 28) "makes sense."

It's critical that California publishers communicate why it doesn't make sense.

One way to quickly register your opposition to this bill is to use the PMA's form letter (you can add introductory and conclusion text, but that form requires that you include the PMA's lengthy wording).

Another way is to use the official "Contact the Governor" online form. If you do so, be sure that your message title includes the bill number (ABX1 28) and reflects your opposition.

Here's what I wrote:
    Please don't allow the "Advertising Nexus" tax bill (ABX1 28) to become law. It won't collect any new sales-tax revenue, and instead will drive tens of millions of dollars of advertising revenue out from California publishers.

Over the past five months, 26% of my advertising revenue has come from Amazon, but if the "Advertising Nexus" language becomes law, Amazon will end its advertising relationship with me (and other California publishers), diverting that revenue to publishers in other states and nations.

Amazon won't collect California sales tax, even if this law passes, and it won't lose any sales to competitors who collect California sales tax. There are other legal strategies that could force Amazon and other out-of-state etailers to collect California sales tax, without punishing California publishers like me.

It doesn't matter that this law is unconstitutional, and would eventually be invalidated; if it's enacted, Amazon and hundreds of other merchants will immediately terminate their advertising relationships with California publishers.

Even the Board of Equalization has acknowledged that the $200 million allocated by the legislature to the "Advertising Nexus" bill is just "smoke and mirrors," because Amazon and other etailers will simply change their business practices to avoid the law's impact.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 19th, 2011 at 12:39 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks for sharing Mark, I sent my comments to the Governor's office today as well.
    Your Ad Here.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Just got back from the post office - mailed an actual letter (none of that email crapolla) to the guv, and no form stuff.

I opened with some personal info including the fact that I've voted for him for Governor three times ('74, "78, '10).

I wonder if there is any chance that he will ever actually see it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Just got back from the post office - mailed an actual letter (none of that email crapolla) to the guv, and no form stuff.
    I expect that your envelope won't be opened until long after the governor acts.

I put "Urgent - Pending Legislation" on the envelope.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Finally figured out that weird email set up and sent the guv my letter the modern way.

The bill has now been passed by both houses of the state legislature.

Its up to the guv.

Guv about to do live webcast with St Senate & Assembly leaders - may or may not mention Aff tax bill.

Can see it live at www.gov.ca.gov

Webcast is over: Despite talk of massive cuts and need for new revenue streams, Affiliate-Nexus Tax Bill was not mentioned. Press did not ask about it.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread