Pennsylvania Affiliate Tax Bill Introduced
    I just discovered yesterday through a link on the Drudge Report that Pennsylvania has just recently introduced a bill with internet sales tax language in it. Here is the link to the article:
    My Way News - States look to Internet taxes to close budget gaps

After doing a couple hours of research, I discovered that the bill is Senate Bill 676. It was referred to the PA Senate Finance Committee on March 28, 2011. I made this discovery here:
    Stop eTaxes

I have since emailed my local representative and senator in an effort to learn more about the Bill, in addition to when it will be voted on.

My local representative said that she was going to have someone from her office contact me to discuss the situation in PA, but I have not been contacted yet. I reached out to several affiliate organizations on the internet and I've learned that they are closely monitoring what is unfolding in PA, but they don't know what exactly is in the proposed legislation. It is unclear whether there is affiliate nexus language in the Bill or something that targets Amazon's warehouses. If anyone can offer anymore insight regarding PA, please share what you know.

Today, I learned more about the proposed internet tax legislation in Pennsylvania. PA Representative Daryl Metcalfe's office informed me that the PA Senate plans to hold at least one if not two hearings on this legislation in September and they are pushing to get a vote on it in the fall.

Amazon has a number of large facilities in Pennsylvania. I wonder if they will try to pull something similar to what they did in TX.

On July 6, news came out that Amazon.com is promising to expand operations in PA's Lehigh Valley region if PA agrees to not impose the sales tax legislation. Amazon said that it plans to hire several hundred full-time workers at the warehouse and shipping center that it opened last year in Breinigsville, PA. This announcement came at the same time that they also announced plans to open a shipping center in Indiana, PA. In May, Lehigh Valley's unemployment rate hit 8.4 percent, due to less job opportunities in the private sector. Amazon could provide a boost for the region's economic outlook.

Amazon's vice president Dave Clark commented on the PA situation, "We're committed to growth in Pennsylvania because Governor [Tom] Corbett and other state officials have demonstrated their commitment to Amazon jobs and investment."

At the same time, the Alliance for Main Street Fairness (backed heavily by Walmart, Target, etc) is ramping up their campaign across the state in an effort to convince PA's conservative Governor and other lawmakers to stray and follow lawmakers in conservative states like Texas and Tennessee in favoring internet sales tax legislation. To date, the legislation has been predominately supported by Democrats, as evidenced by what has unfolded in the states that have already passed legislation.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread