How would I go about building a price comparison site similar to say...pricegrabber?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What a leading question. Little like asking how to duplicate eBay's structure. First step is to own www.pricegrubber.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Let's start slow...

Suppose you have two merchants whose prices you want to compare, with far too many products to do it manually.

1. Get a datafeed from both merchants. If they don't do datafeeds you'll have to scrape the information off their pages.

2. Set up two database tables, one for each merchant. You'll need the product name and price as a minimum. Refresh your data daily as prices will change.

3. Write some code that finds similarities in product names. This is the tricky part - if your code finds similarities, but the products actually are not the same, then the comparison would be meaningless.

4. Where identical products have been found in both tables, display on your site in any manner that pleases you. Don't forget your affiliate links!

5. Put up a big bold disclaimer to save your ass when it all goes horribly wrong.

It's a very simple process...
    It's not easy... but it is simple...

All you have to do is look at what these guys
    are doing and learn from it... but...
    This will take a certain amount of dedication
    on your part...

http://www.bizrate.com

If you can learn from them and then apply that
    knowledge to your own site...
    You'll be in a pretty good position to compete
    with just about anybody out there...

Imitation is the highest form of flattery...
    copying other peoples work is plagiarism...

Just take the lessons learned and use them in
    your own unique way... Good luck...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

I would suggest building a script that takes multiple datafeeds and compares them for likenesses. I would then have that script insert information into a new field where you have id numbers pointing to the other databases. Like someone else said above the hard part is comparing the products but it can be done. It would never be perfect but I'd bet neither is anyone elses.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Also, check the ToS for each datafeed to ensure they ALLOW you to use their feed on a page that also has their competitors feed on it.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sloth:
    2. Set up two database tables, one for each merchant. You'll need the product name and price as a minimum. Refresh your data daily as prices will change. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why not one table, with a "merchantID" field to differentiate between the two feeds? It would certainly save time and script length on SQL coding, at the very least.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Can anyone estimate what kind of hardware / bandwith you would need to house a decent price comparison site?

Downloading and processing all those data feeds must require a lot of resources?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread