Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you talked to an affiliate manager?

Question Have you talked to an affiliate manager?
    It's embarrassing every time I talk to an affiliate on the phone and they say, "You're the first affiliate manager I've ever talked with". Embarrassing because I can't believe other managers don't take the time to talk with their affiliates and educate them on how to earn more money.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone on this board. It's those that have never heard of ABW or Affiliate Summit or Thinktank and just set their programs on auto pilot.

Two times today I talked with affiliates that are on the cusp of moving from 2 sales a month to 20. Both of them were amazed at the simplest ideas that could make the jump immediately. Broken links, wrong landing pages, reliance on banners instead of text links and browser issues.

It's the simple things that make a difference. Get to know your affiliates!

Time for another phone call.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

2. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Well said, Greg! That can make a huge difference in a program. You know your stuff!

I was always happy when affiliates called me too. My choice when managing a program was to always offer my phone number, email, IM addresses - lots of ways for affiliates to contact me. Few took me up on it, but I was always glad when someone did; it showed their ability to be proactive and commitment to growing their sites.

Affiliate Managers are usually pretty willing to share information about the program - well performing keywords, top selling products, seasonal favorites, buyer profiles. Every affiliate should take advantage of that!

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - buy.at View Post
    Affiliate Managers are usually pretty willing to share information about the program - well performing keywords, top selling products, seasonal favorites, buyer profiles. Every affiliate should take advantage of that!
    I don't think enough managers are like this. We could only wish they were.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Still stewing over this one. It reminds me of a job interview a few years ago. The Director of Ecommerce that had a huge international affiliate program in CJ was asking me pointed questions.

What do you do if an affiliate asks about a commission hike?
    What do you do if an affiliate has a problem with a link?
    What do you do if an affiliate asks for a phone call?

I told her my job as an affiliate manager was to communicate with affiliates big and small but not to let the small ones dominate my time.

She said the small affiliates are a waste of time and that I should ignore them 100%. They only focused on the top performers.

That's when I knew I needed to work for myself.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    The smallest acorn can become the mightiest oak.

After so many years in the business, it's easy to tell which newbies have the passion to build something great with a little help and guidance. I feel a sense of obligation and honor to help others grow whenever I get the chance. I know you do too. That's why we do what we do the way we do it, and wouldn't have it any other way!

Now I have an affiliate that won't return my calls or email because she only earned $500 in commission in 24 hours from a simple blog post. I guess she was expecting more. I have thousands of affiliates that would kill for that kind of day.

Affiliates, talk to your managers!
    Greg Hoffman

She's probably on a beach somewhere.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Thanks From:

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    Still stewing over this one. It reminds me of a job interview a few years ago. The Director of Ecommerce that had a huge international affiliate program in CJ was asking me pointed questions.

What do you do if an affiliate asks about a commission hike?
    What do you do if an affiliate has a problem with a link?
    What do you do if an affiliate asks for a phone call?

I told her my job as an affiliate manager was to communicate with affiliates big and small but not to let the small ones dominate my time.

She said the small affiliates are a waste of time and that I should ignore them 100%. They only focused on the top performers.

That's when I knew I needed to work for myself.
    Obviously she never took the OPM Certification Course....or didn't pass it, one or the other.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

That program is managed by the infamous "affiliate team". They have never attended Affiliate Summit or CJU and I'm sure they've never heard of ABW, let alone any manager training.
    Greg Hoffman

Over the years I've heard enough of the "Network Sales Team" talk that the small affs are insignificant and only focus on "this list" oh yeah you can deal with whiners and such or you can use our recruiting services and we'll manage the set up for you for XXX a mo.

When Networks like Buy.at, Avantlink etc, live the "you can't have affiliate marketing without affiliates" it's always SOOO refreshing. Top that off with roll up the sleeves and pick up the horn OPM like GHC! With Greg and Cindy you are informed, treated right and with respect as a BIG part of the team and merchant value add, no matter how small or large your earnings are nor your knowledge level. Keep dailing!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    Over the years I've heard enough of the "Network Sales Team" talk that the small affs are insignificant and only focus on "this list" oh yeah you can deal with whiners and such or you can use our recruiting services and we'll manage the set up for you for XXX a mo.

When Networks like Buy.at, Avantlink etc, live the "you can't have affiliate marketing without affiliates" it's always SOOO refreshing. Top that off with roll up the sleeves and pick up the horn OPM like GHC! With Greg and Cindy you are informed, treated right and with respect as a BIG part of the team and merchant value add, no matter how small or large your earnings are nor your knowledge level. Keep dailing!!
    Thank you, sir.
    Greg Hoffman

Cool Hi, I'm a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    Don't most of us start small? A lucky small who hears from managers like Greg and Cindy has a far greater shot at success than one who's treated like a mushroom. Those are more likely to turn into the top performers that others seem to want to focus on.

Every affiliate manager who takes time during her (or his) busy day to talk with a small affiliate earns a gold star in my book.

I'm a small affiliate. Ignore me at your discretion.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfern View Post

I'm a small affiliate. Ignore me at your discretion.
    You are a datafeed rockstar affiliate and I have the podcast to prove it. Affiliate Voices #9 (CaseyFern)

17. Thanks From:

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg hoffman consulting View Post
    you are a datafeed rockstar affiliate and i have the podcast to prove it. affiliate voices #9 (caseyfern)
    +1
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

19. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Nothing against the "big" affiliates, I talk to them too, but I LOVE talking to the small ones. They are so eager to talk to you and so willing to work harder for you if you just give them a chance. I try to find any reason to reach out to the little guys. I just wish more would respond to my stalking!!

21. Thanks From:

I'm sitting up to my aging neck in California nexus tax so-sorry-we-have-to-terminate-you-NOW-but-it's-been-real-fun missives, shooting sideways glances at the blood pressure device I'm supposed to use twice daily (and am too scared to check).

Greg, your forum is making me smile despite the aforementioned falling rocks. Thank you. You're the rock stars, you folks who manage the programs. I learn from you every day, even when I'm too chicken to admit it.

By the way, if any of you are facing the pain of laying off your California affiliates, you have my most sincere sympathies. (I'll reserve my Greek chorus effect pertaining to the lack of logic of state-based nexus laws for another ABW area - I'm sure there's at least one where the thunderclouds are gathering. Feel free to point the way.)

To you managers and OPMs chartered with the task of bringing the bad news to us, and for the second-tier impact that our revenue loss is going to make on your revenue - well, my heart goes out to each of you.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

23. Thanks From:

Another great example. Found an affiliate with a banner farm with our banner buried but, it was sending us more than 400 clicks a month.

The affiliate had never talked to a manager before so she was a little defensive at first, but within a couple hours, she's created a unique landing page just for the client. Hopefully this will fine tune the traffic and we'll see some conversions.
    Greg Hoffman

Just got off the phone with an affiliate that has built a very nice review site in one particular niche. We talked for about 20 minutes and I sent him a review of his review with some suggestions.

He's spent the last 6 months building this site from scratch and it looks like it's been around for several years. But he's never talked to an affiliate manager until today. No one else has responded to his requests or reached out to him.
    Greg Hoffman

You're the first affiliate manager that sent a "hand written" email. Nice hearing from you!
    I don't know why this amazes me but it does several times a day, as you can tell.

2 years later and this thread is still accurate.
    Greg Hoffman

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    2 years later and this thread is still accurate.
    Very accurate.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

29. Thanks From:

I am not new here, but am new to posting here, I am an advertiser looking for some small guidance and possible new relationship/network building.

We have a semi decent campaign, our OPM currently is doing well getting some traction, I am just concerned that maybe it is not optimal and structured wrong.

We have done some pretty serious volume and have the potential to do a lot more, anyone...Greg? maybe even you?! It would be great to just chat and if possible find a way to work together at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by C_everts2 View Post
    I am not new here, but am new to posting here, I am an advertiser looking for some small guidance and possible new relationship/network building.

We have a semi decent campaign, our OPM currently is doing well getting some traction, I am just concerned that maybe it is not optimal and structured wrong.

We have done some pretty serious volume and have the potential to do a lot more, anyone...Greg? maybe even you?! It would be great to just chat and if possible find a way to work together at some point.
    Talk to your current OPM first. Figure out a way to make it work. If it doesn't, talk to me when your contract is complete.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Love your response Greg...

I've been amazed by this as well. I've had a ton of times when I've reached out to an affiliate who was either new and showed promise or dormant. They said the same thing... "first time anyone has reached out" that's usually followed by "what should I do?" then they get the benefit of a best practices brain dump.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

33. Thanks From:

I appreciate the response. I'll reach out or work it out. I don't have a concern with making anything work really. The overall strategy is what I'm concerned with when we expand international. Right now we are working top down with big dog pubs banking on volume leading to pay out reduction, but not integrating with an small fish really. Which in my past companies bring the two together big pubs + small was my belief to get to optimal payouts.

***let me say too before I get bashed on trying to screw affiliates by paying too little, that that's not the case, there are large competitors that are paying less than us due to shear volume, and we are on pace to get to their volume numbers soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast