Do 404 error effect tracking ?
    I always thought about this, but never actually bothered to investigate.
    Consider I have a custom link to a product page for merchant example.com/product-name.htm
    The product goes out of stock and the merchant removes the page. Opening that page now results in 404 error.
    Now is it going to affect the tracking ? or will it track normally if the customer purchases some other product from the site ?
    Last edited by Nabz; June 21st, 2011 at 07:14 PM.

It should track normally because the link goes through CJ's servers to set the cookie before it hits the merchant's site. I would however be concerned about a merchant that removes a page without a redirect and allows a potential customer to go to a 404.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

3. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    It should track normally because the link goes through CJ's servers to set the cookie before it hits the merchant's site. I would however be concerned about a merchant that removes a page without a redirect and allows a potential customer to go to a 404.

-rematt
    Yea agreed, tracking won't be effected, however the 404 isn't going to motivate much of a conversion if it is the landing page.
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It depends on the merchant tracking if they use a source referrer to set the cookie. I have worked with merchants that used that and when the destination was a 404 error it didn't set the cookie. Use a tool like this to see what happens: Redirect Tracer

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread