ABW Ambassador
    http://www.datashaping.com/internet.shtml

I found this site in my stats and I went to the site and this is what I found.

"Competitive Intelligence
    We help pay-per-click search engines identify their best affiliates and partners in terms of click-to-lead ratio. Our tools also allowed us to identify two major cases of click fraud. In addition, we provide intelligence on competitors' performance. We also have access to a large number of logfiles through our neural marketing technology. These logfiles provide highly valuable information that we share with our clients.

This concerns me. Can they possibly have access to our webalizer files?

ABW Ambassador
    Hi infoseeker,

It was in my logs as well. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Lily

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aunt Lily:
    Hi infoseeker,

It was in my logs as well. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Lily <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's interesting. I was thinking that maybe they wanted affiliate sites to go to their website and sign up or something. Do you use webalizer stats or another program.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    1) They are probably spidering to put their link in your logfiles so you will click through to their site. It's called LogSpamming.

2) Many hosting packages these days come with online webstat programs that are open to the public. There are a wealth of information to the active marketer. If your host offers free webstats you need to make sure they are at least password protected if not turned off completely.

Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Exactly what Woz says in his first point - it's Log Spamming, and you're not the only one to be on the receiving end.

All I do now is use their e-mail address and URL to sign up for any services I know will result in spam. Eye for an eye, so to speak.

yeah, its an easy way for site owners to get other site owners / webmasters to check out their site or maybe even signup for their services ... coz they know that their peers who take their job seriously will be checking their logs and will see the hits from their site

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread