Looking for new hosting company
    To try and make a bigger profit for my PopShops stores, I have been creating a lot of 1 page websites. I had been using Netfirms as my hosting company because they offered free hosting in exchange for a banner at the top of the page. The banner did not look bad so it was worth the free cost.

Someone has taken over Netfirms and are discontinuing the free hosting platform. They have given us a weeks notice to upgrade to paid hosting or the free hosted site will be taken offline.

Is anyone using a free hosting plan? I have been searching and they all seem to say free hosting with no banners, no popups etc. I know you don't get something for nothing so I am confused. I read one that said you just had to post on their forum in exchange for free hosting. I don't want anything like that. A banner is fine but no tricks and funny business.

Need help fast or all my popshops stores will go offline. I will be broke if I have to upgrade every site I have.

By creating a lot of 1 page websites, do you mean that you have a domain for each, are using subdomains, something else?

Anyway, why not buy a cheap webhosting plan? The quality simply has to be better than any free host out there. Hostgator can hook you up for under 8 bucks a month for unlimited domains, and they are surprisingly good for the price.

A lot of the free hosts have terrible uptime and are often gone in a flash, leaving you scrambling.

3. Thanks From:

Free is free while it lasts!
    Its happened once it will happen again - so time to bite the bullet and get some paid hosting.
    Good luck
    JIM

5. Thanks From:

Sorry, but I can't resist!

You say:
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    To try and make a bigger profit for my PopShops stores, I have been creating a lot of 1 page websites. I had been using Netfirms as my hosting company because they offered free hosting in exchange for a banner at the top of the page. The banner did not look bad so it was worth the free cost.
    With some of the free profit you're making now, don't be so cheap and buy some cheap hosting out there!
    Need help fast or all my popshops stores will go offline. I will be broke if I have to upgrade every site I have.
    Fast Help?

For every $10.00 bigger profit you're making now, be willing to spend at least 10 cents on any hosting company out there, otherwise...

Good luck!

7. Thanks From:

Is this a hobby or is this your business? When you have a more professional looking site (without who knows what banner showing) you may see an increase in sales that more than pays for the hosting.

If you aren't earning at least $3 a month from a shop then maybe it is just a hobby and you should stay with free hosting until you decide to become an affiliate.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm not being cheap just trying to cut advertising costs. I have close to 70 sites that do very well. The banner did not seem to make a difference in my affiliate sales. I am very pleased with the money that was coming in so why pay for hosting when the free hosting site performed very well. The uptime was very good. Buying hosting for 70 sites will dig into my profits.

Just thought some of you might be doing the same.

So are you paying for Popshops?? Or using their Free account as well?? Why not just buy a 1&1 hosting account to host your sites. They are cheap.

Did you buy a Domain name for each site?

Are you using domain name provided free from Netfirms??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

atspace.com
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

kse - I have my own domain name for each site. Some I have with free hosting and some I have paid hosting.

Davidh - thanks atspace.com sounds close to Netfirms. Do they show ads on the free hosted site? If not, can you explain how they can offer the free hosting by getting nothing in return? Is it the hopes that you will eventually upgrade?
    Thank you :-)

Places that offer free hosting like this do so in the hope that those who succeed what they are doing will upgrade to a paid plan when they need more bandwidth or other server resources. It barely costs them a few pennies per year to offer hosting plans like this, so it's cost-effective advertising; it's easier to convert a sale from somebody who is already a "customer" than it is to pay outrageous PPC rates in the hosting vertical.

I have a site hosted by them for a few years and there have been no "reliability issues".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

porkchop - Do you realize that the $8 per month can handle all your sites? You don't need a hosting account for each site. Just one account that allows multiple domains. It's very easy and if you are making any money at all it would be worth it. $8 a month to have all your sites in one place with a well managed host.

Hi superCool, you said--Do you realize that the $8 per month can handle all your sites?

Well then I have been doing it wrong for a long time. Can you suggest a host that I could do this with? For 8 bucks total I could put a bunch of sites online? I see your quote next to your name....I think you just found the idiot in your village :-)

It seems I have a lot to learn. I originally set each one up individually so there was no confusion when I used my ftp to upload with the host name, user id etc. I have been spending a lot of money for nothing.

I see you are from Texas too :-) I am down around Houston. Finally got some rain. yesterday.

Thanks for the info Davidh
    Last edited by porkchop; June 24th, 2011 at 02:34 AM.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Can you suggest a host that I could do this with? For 8 bucks total I could put a bunch of sites online?
    Just about every hosting company can offer that.

You sign up with your "main" domain, then in the control panel (preferably cPanel) you create "add-on" domains.

Hop to it - you have 70 domains to change nameservers for, setup on your new hosting account and transfer things over...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

If you're willing to shell out the few bucks after all...

I'd recommend Hostrocket for a multi-domain plan. They have it set up so that each domain you add to your account has it's own control panel. Many other hosts' multi-domain plans don't work that way; you usually have to get a VPS or Dedicated server for that perk.

davidh-thanks I will check them out. I am fixing to go into unfamilar territory so I am a little nervous. Any other info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I'm familiar with the Netfirms file manager and can assure you that you'll have a better/easier time with cpanel. It's very similar to what you're used to from using Netfirms, but a lot less clunky. There shouldn't be any learning curve other than maybe taking a day or two to get used to.

Why is this in the Popshops forum. It has nothing to do with Popshops. It should be moved.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

good luck with your new host porkchop! hopefully you will be able to greatly simplify you business

boninggroup-i put this in the popshops forum because I wanted to talk to friends not strangers. We look after each other and offer advice when we can.

Thanks to all for your helpful advice :-)

I think Hostirian does a $10 VPS - its pretty bare bones but i bet you know what your doing....

porkchop - Hope you get your hosting figured out. Hosting multiple domains is pretty standard these days. Only problem is if the server goes down then ALL your sites are down at once (something to consider).

I disagree about the post not being appropriate in the Popshops forum. If you're running Popshops, you want to make sure your choice of host is compatible with Popshops (#1 priority!). I feel I've been "discouraged" from posting in this forum at times and it shouldn't be that way. If you don't feel it relates to you or Popshops, skip the thread and don't read it. It's that simple.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread