ABW Ambassador
    I think Google will always be the king of search with MSN always lagging behind, trying to play catch up

60 minutes...heh, that's about how long I've used Google in the last couple of months.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Well, I think their new algorithm stinks, regardless of how 60 min portrays them! I don't say this just because I lost a lot of traffic - I lost a lot of traffic last spring due to the duplicate filter but I thought this was sensible on their part. The new change places some of the most relevant results far down. Bad for me but also bad for the searchers.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

From the link above you were probably better off watching the part about THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD? With a face that launched 17,000 Web sites worldwide, Indian actress Aishwarya Rai is said to be the world's most beautiful woman.

Ritch

Hmmm ... So what's the first thing I did after reading this thread? Went straight to Google and typed in Aishwarya Rai. Now that's synergy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think Google will always be the king of search with MSN always lagging behind, trying to play catch up <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what Netscape used to say about IE. MS has an advantage since it has control of your computer. Should be an interesting war.

History shows

What MSN wants MSN gets.

Remember when people said Alta Vista was king of search engines.

ABW Ambassador
    "What MSN wants MSN gets."

Not true. TiVo is just one example. As far as IE, from a link Ian posted earlier, Firefox is catching on and making moves on IE. IE is a security mess. They can't even get that right.

You see "Microsoft" and think, ooh big company, Bill Gates etc. But they're getting into search. That's not their area, they're not innovators in that, they're followers, trying to play catch up. Right now for the regular search they're using Yahoo owned Inktomi and for PPC, Yahoo owned Overture. They were supposed to take PPC inhouse this past summer, now they're going to use Yahoo's Overture into summer 2006. What happened with that? And from what i see, i know it's still beta, their search is horrible, Google, Yahoo and Ink are still better. They're supposed to release that this month. Either 2 things will happen. They won't or they do and people will find out it sucks, driving past happy user over to Yahoo or Google.

On how to test out the search engines, forget about your sites, just come up with some terms, type them in all 4 and see which one is more relevant. MSN is still beta but since it is supposed to be released this month, it should getting there. You can try many terms to see how horrible they are. I say online auctions, what's the first thing that pops in mind? I say ebay. Let's check:

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?F...ine%20auctions

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...nline+auctions

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=onl...gle=1&ei=UTF-8

And now Beta MSN
    http://beta.search.msn.com/results.a...ons&FORM=QBRE2

No ebay on first page. Try online dvd rental. I say Netflix. So does Google, Yahoo, MSN/INK. MSN Beta no.

Crap. Unless something major happens soon, not looking good. Not ready for prime time.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm certainly no SEO/SEM expert, but the listings are all relevant for any of my clients sites in all 4 SE's.

Try.... men's suspenders
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    MSN's fine; I'm sick of the same darned competitors always hogging up the #1s.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> MSN's fine; I'm sick of the same darned competitors always hogging up the #1s. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the feeling, MSN has been my saving grace!

ABW Ambassador
    Leader, Dak, which MSN are you talking about? The one now MSN/INK or the MSN Beta?

If you haven't heard of ebay by now you must be dead. If your typing online auction into the search engine you are probably looking for something new and different, not ebay.

I liked the old days when I could use 3 different search engines and get different results. Now they all seem so much alike.

ABW Ambassador
    "If you haven't heard of ebay by now you must be dead."

There are a lot of dead people out there registering thru my links. It's about the most relevant site for any given search, that's it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader, Dak, which MSN are you talking about? The one now MSN/INK or the MSN Beta? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.msn.com, the one being used now.

ABW Ambassador
    I like that one too, they should keep using it. They should extend the deal with Yahoo like they extended the deal to use Yahoo owned Overture. Or buy/lease Teoma from Ask Jeeves which is a nice search engine and use that. But i don't think Ask Jeeves would do that.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    MSN shoulda bought Google years ago, back when they coulda flung a billion at them and made them blink.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I like that one too, they should keep using it. They should extend the deal with Yahoo like they extended the deal to use Yahoo owned Overture. Or buy/lease Teoma from Ask Jeeves which is a nice search engine and use that. But i don't think Ask Jeeves would do that.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I have't been keeping up on this as well as I should have been, but when is it supposed to change? I hope never, but well, things always do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trivum:
    Hmmm ... So what's the first thing I did after reading this thread? Went straight to Google and typed in Aishwarya Rai. Now that's synergy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHA..... You too??

jeesh, thats a great marketing technique Ritch. Becuase it totally took me far far away from the topic at hand.. if it were an adword campaign.,. you'd be "ritch"

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread