Tax Nexus Laws - there is still some real journalism
    I had the pleasure of talking to an Arkansas blogger who writes about politics and who sees the incompetence of the tax nexus legislation. I didn't post this in the private tax issue forums because everything here is public knowledge and those who aren't affected yet need to understand what happens when this new dance step hits your representative body.

David Kinkade has written about politics and worked for politicians on both sides of the aisle for a long, long time. I talked to him for 30-45 minutes and he wrote this blog post. Fifteen minutes later, my House representative replied to an email I sent several weeks ago.

thearkansasproject.com/more-on-amazon-sales-tax-its-not-just-amazon/

Great job, Judi!

I just responded with this:

The large affiliate programs these laws target will just terminate affiliates from the states who pass these laws, eliminating any claimed nexus and resulting in no sales tax being collected.

Some of the affiliates will move to other states, bringing their income tax, businesses, and spending to their new state. This will result in decreased revenue for the state.

Some of the affiliates will remain, but will lose 30-70% of their income. They’ll pay less income tax since they have less income. They’ll have considerably less disposable income to spend within the state. Some will go out of business and become a burden on the state rather than an income-producing citizen.

It’s a losing proposition for the states AND the affiliates.

I would suggest looking at who stands to benefit and who is funding the push for this legislation: The big box retailers. They’re using this to fight their online competitors. Affiliates are the collateral damage. And states are the unwitting allies, who don’t realize that they’re hurting themselves.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Very nice, Judi.

I, too, had responded - although not quite so eloquently as did Michael.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

4. Thanks From:

A right wing radio talk show host contacted me this afternoon and invited me to be on the show during drive time this afternoon. We agreed beforehand that I wasn't going to be drawn into any discussion of politics other than the profound effect of this legislation and we spent most of the time talking about the lobbying efforts of one special interest group harming other business segments and the state at the same time and making the legislators look like they got fooled.

Now that I have to hear! Is it a national syndicated show, or something local?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The article contains a couple of lists of merchants who have quickly terminated Arkansas affiliates. This is a great source for those of us in other states as well, who are likely to soon face this, and the lists give us a heads up as to what to expect.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Now that I have to hear! Is it a national syndicated show, or something local?
    OR does the station have a site where they archive past shows?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Paul Harrell, Jonesboro AR There's a facebook page where I was listening to the live streaming - it looks like they post every day's program there.

The Paul Harrell Program | Facebook

He and I talked before I agreed about our differing views and he was very gracious. I am anxious to listen and see what he said after I hung up. It all happened rather quickly this afternoon and I didn't even have time to find the station beforehand. Most of this flurry of activity is coming from the David Kinkade article yesterday. He apparently has the ear of politicians all across the state. yeah!

And I agree - the list I gave Kinkade and the list Rebecca gave him are a big help in preparing not just your business plan, but your ammunition.

Interesting thread. Flipping around the talk radio dial (Leo Laporte - the tech guy usually) I often find these political talk channels and its hard to not have them turn everything political - I guess it is there base after all. But I would be curious to what he said after you spoke as well because listening to these shows they usually don't hold back.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread