Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Clarification on the Multi-Network Policy
    Greetings Shareasale,

Can you please clarify your "Multi-Network Policy" and the "Zero Day Cookie".

Went back and read Zero Day Cookie after discovering a merchant of ours that now has a "Zero Day Cookie".

Do emails get sent out to notify affiliates that this has happened?

Some clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Convergence,

I'd be happy to clarify, but not sure what exactly you need so just let me know.

When a program is listed as "0 Days" that just is a reflection of what is truly happening. It is most common in the cases where Merchants only use specific landing pages for conversions, or those who do not show the tracking pixel on all sales (such as choosing between multiple network programs).

Cookie changes do not generate auto-emails...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    When a program is listed as "0 Days" that just is a reflection of what is truly happening. It is most common in the cases where Merchants only use specific landing pages for conversions, or those who do not show the tracking pixel on all sales (such as choosing between multiple network programs).
    Brian, thank you.

So, to translate, you are saying that if a merchant is on multiple networks, and they only have a tracking pixel on some of their pages, Shareasale sets their cookie to 0 Days?

Cookie changes do not generate auto-emails...
    Why not? Technically that is a change in the agreement between the merchant and the affiliate. It becomes difficult to have to monitor for that as well.

Asked a merchant last night about the Zero Day Cookie. Their response was simply:

May have been set by shareasale
    That's it. Nothing more. Needless to say that relationship will be terminated...

Another quick question:

Shareasale will automatically set the cookie to Zero Days even if the merchant is not on multiple networks?

We set it where it is an appropriate value... it happens frequently in more "offers" based programs such as hosting, loan, finance, education ... where if an action is not taken immediately in session, there is no return tracking later.

In multiple network situations, we have ways of ensuring return traffic is still counted... however, if a Merchant on their own has a setup that effectively makes the return days 0 (session only), we set it to 0 to accurately give that information to you.

It is all just about accurate information. We could leave it at 30 and pretend everything was ok, but if the reality of the situation is that there is no return days tracking - then that is what we are setting the information at in order to give you the opportunity to review it.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Thanks again, Brian.

Now, to address the affiliate being notified that "something is wrong" or that their contract with the merchant has been changed - any of the APIs show cookie length?

Brian, just to clarify... Is the "0 days" just for display, or does setting that also prohibit sales from tracking if the pixel is shown after the first day?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It is a real setting... no sales after that day would track.

This is a bit of a moot point as that would be the case either way.... the setting is there to accurately reflect what is really happening within the program.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Not exactly a moot point. If they're multi-network and they click through my SAS link today, then return directly to the merchant's site three days from now without clicking links from any other network in the meantime, they SHOULD display the SAS tracking pixel. But since SAS lowered the return days to 0, now that won't happen.

I would rather have SOMETHING instead of NOTHING.

You really need to rethink how you handle this, IMHO.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think I'm just wording it wrong, I'll post some clarification later - off to try to do a weekend. The idea is to accurately reflect what is actually happening, not restrict anything from happening.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Brian wrote: > "Cookie changes do not generate auto-emails..." <

Convergence replied: > "Why not? Technically that is a change in the agreement between the merchant [advertiser] and the affiliate [publisher]. It becomes difficult to have to monitor for that as well." <

I agree with Convergence -- any time the advertiser changes the terms of the advertising relationship (including changes in cookie duration), ShareASale should notify the affected publishers.

I don't usually view cookie duration as one of the most critical terms of my relationships with advertisers, but it's certainly a factor I consider, and I certainly view a change in cookie duration to "zero days" to be a significant change in the program terms.

It would be great if ShareASale could also notify publishers when an existing ShareASale advertiser adds another affiliate network, since that's another significant factor for many publishers, but I suspect that few advertisers notify ShareASale.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 24th, 2011 at 08:06 PM.

I think I'm just wording it wrong, I'll post some clarification later - off to try to do a weekend. The idea is to accurately reflect what is actually happening, not restrict anything from happening.
    That's good to hear.

Enjoy the weekend!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Now, to address the affiliate being notified that "something is wrong" or that their contract with the merchant has been changed - any of the APIs show cookie length?
    Just keeping this on the radar...
    Last edited by Convergence; June 26th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Just keeping this on the radar...
    I just did a quick look in the interface and don't see a way to search for merchants based on cookie duration. Surely there is a better way than going to each merchant's details page.

I'm going to go in and look at each of the retailers that have this setting and make sure that it is accurate... Most of the 0-day cookie settings are based on more "offer" based programs where there literally is no conversion past 0-days (hence the setting) but there are a few retail programs with the setting as well. I'll go in and confirm those are as they should be...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

16. Thanks From:

Brian,

Do you have an update?

Thanks...

Hi Brian

Have anything yet?

Thanks!

Convergence,

You dont need to bump threads to get my attention. I have your suggestion...

There are obvioualy a lot of things going on in Affiliate Marketing of which take a considerable amount of time. Specifically the most pressing issue is the passage of the affiliate tax in California amongst other states.

I understand that you want things to be fair and improved for Affiliates which is why tou requested the change...but in the interim, if you really want to help Affiliates - you should get involved in the fight againat the affiliate taxes.

Even if you arent based in an affected State - or even in the country - you can still help. Our industry needs everyone to recognize how important this is and for everyone to pitch in.

I apologize for any spelling errors....I'm typing this on a tiny phone touchscreen!
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Convergence,

You dont need to bump threads to get my attention. I have your suggestion...

There are obvioualy a lot of things going on in Affiliate Marketing of which take a considerable amount of time. Specifically the most pressing issue is the passage of the affiliate tax in California amongst other states.

I understand that you want things to be fair and improved for Affiliates which is why tou requested the change...but in the interim, if you really want to help Affiliates - you should get involved in the fight againat the affiliate taxes.

Even if you arent based in an affected State - or even in the country - you can still help. Our industry needs everyone to recognize how important this is and for everyone to pitch in.

I apologize for any spelling errors....I'm typing this on a tiny phone touchscreen!
    Excuse me, I would appreciate you not speaking down to me!

1) I bumped not to get your attention, but to get an answer. You have, in the past, allowed things to just "faaaaaaaaaade away".

2) I didn't specifically request a change. I wanted to know how affiliates, including me, can be notified when the cookie length changes. I asked if any of the APIs could do that.

3) I am in Colorado, and have worked on fighting the affiliate tax laws before and after they were enacted.

4) Spelling errors do not bother me - no need to apologize, for that...
    Last edited by Convergence; July 1st, 2011 at 01:32 PM.

Convergence,

I'm not talking down to you...trying to answer your question and explain why it might take some time to correct anything thats needs correcting here....and to let you know that we are aware of your request.

There is not a current API call for cookie duration, and affiliates are not notified on a change. This has historically not been a very large problem but as I told Michael a few days ago - I am looking into how it is implemented and how we could notify.

The tax issue is a much more pressing issue at the moment... just trying to set expectations on timing, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Brian,

Thank you for the update. Look forward to your next one...

Hi Brian,

Just popping in - see you participating in other threads and seems you may have some extra time on your hands

Hope you don't feel that I'm hounding you, I just have this on my weekly tickler.

Thanks, let us know when you can!
    Last edited by Convergence; July 7th, 2011 at 02:06 PM.

My ticker popped up a reminder for tomorrow, so I thought I'd check in and see if anything was new.

Thanks!

Convergence give him some time!

But really, a email should be sent if "Any" changes are made to a program or not set. This is clearly an ethical decision.. not a "industry accepted standard"

It should also be noted that merchants should not decrease cookie duration and make sure you set them.. you will lose affiliates guaranteed.
    Last edited by ak1lz; July 13th, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ak1lz View Post
    Convergence give him some time!
    Hi ak1lz,

SAS has all the time in the world. I'm just staying on top of my inquiry that relates / affects my business - if it helps others along the way that is great.

I'm not dogging anyone - I'm running my business...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast