Why do Corrected Transactions Get Buried? !!!
    Dear Commission Junction,

I find it disconcerting that "Corrected" commissions get buried and that the affiliate isn't even notified by email when a commission is pulled.

I made a $134 commission with Botanic Choice. Just so happened to log in and see it. Next day, logged back in - the commission is gone. But no explanation. Took me ten minutes to figure out how to check for "Corrected" commissions, which I find interesting, only to find that it was removed. Again, with no explanation.

I had to go out of MY WAY to contact the affiliate program manager to find out what was up. When she gets back to me, tells me this:

"We did look up the order and it was placed with an invalid credit card. The card did not authorize and when we called the bank, the information didn't match, I'm sorry it was reversed - we certainly wish it had been a valid order also."

I reply with this:

"Did you send an email to the person placing the order to ask if they would like to use another credit card? I see that you can't place an order with Botanic Choice unless you sign in, so I would imagine this to be the next step when a credit card is declined. Perhaps the person used an expired card or one over balance? I do know that chargebacks occur, but why would the order be placed in the first place if the credit card was not valid? Shouldn't it be authorized at the time of checkout?"

She replies with this:

"I can check to see if our customer service did that. Normally, there is a process to call the customer first and also to check with the bank to see if the card is valid. I'll try to find the information for you.

We don't do authorization at checkout right now. We may add that, but we usually batch authorize a few times a day. The reason we do that is to save individual transactino fees with the credit card companies. I appreciate that it's not the best solution and we have discussed making the change."

This batch processing thing is a whole other ball of wax. I'm just irked because it seems like CJ is putting the affiliates second to the merchant, when they should be FIRST!

Forgot to mention that when I FINALLY figured out how to check for Corrected transactions, I look and see a trail of transactions that were removed with no explanation. When you're an ethical affiliate and stuff like this happens, it makes me want to never work with your network again.

Please stop burying corrected transactions, and let affiliates know when one of your merchants decides not to honor a commission.
    Last edited by GreenAffMan; June 24th, 2011 at 07:02 PM.

If CJ sent an email alert every time a transaction is reversed, a lot of affiliates (myself included) would complain about having to wade through all the email alerts to get to their "real emails"; it would be the same as getting your mailbox clogged up with spam.
    Last edited by davidh; June 25th, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    If CJ sent an email alert every time a transaction is reversed, a lot of affiliates (myself included) would complain about having to wade through all the email alerts to get to their "real emails"; it would be the same as getting your mailbox clogged up with spam.
    Totally understandable. Simply give affiliates the option of receiving email alerts. You can select No. I can select Yes.

I always like options. I would certainly welcome the option of getting emal alerts for reversed/edited transactions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I would like if you could have 1 email in the system for emails that merchants / managers can use for mass emails (ones they send to all affiliates, non specific) and one email where they can contact you directly, but not in a mass email. I sometimes miss personal emails from merchants / managers as it gets lost in all the 'real' emails that we already get.

So perhaps this reversal email can go to a third email?

That sounds like an idea! Ultimately, it would be nice if a CJ rep could address these concerns here on this forum and perhaps explain why the process of locating corrected transactions for the first time is like reading over T&C fine print with a magnifying glass.

It just rubs me the wrong way, like it's something they want to do all they can to hide. And as long as nobody says anything, they will just keep it this way.

Or maybe it's just shoddy user-experience. I dunno.

Please don't get me wrong (I'm venting a little bit), as there are many things I really enjoy about CJ. But when we are talking about affiliate marketing, transparency is paramount. And I don't believe this is as transparent as it could and should be with as "premiere" a network as CJ is billed.
    Last edited by GreenAffMan; June 26th, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

CJ has not improved on the reports since may years. Their reports are not actionable. They hide a lot of information behind the links. In order to find the real information, you need to drill down on the links way deep.

On the other hand, SAS reports are very much actionable and gives the affiliate a better control, without hiding too much.

Quote Originally Posted by vivekar View Post
    CJ has not improved on the reports since may years. Their reports are not actionable. They hide a lot of information behind the links. In order to find the real information, you need to drill down on the links way deep.

On the other hand, SAS reports are very much actionable and gives the affiliate a better control, without hiding too much.
    I totally agree. And as much spotlight as CJ gets, they are not living up to what I believe is their responsibility to set high standards for affiliate marketing to quench the view that affiliate marketing can't be trusted and is not a worthy marketing outlet.

Case in point, I was recently in talks with a business owner who runs a website that I know could be a top performer - essentially, a super affiliate. His response to me was that he tried affiliate marketing before (with CJ) and now he is of the impression that affiliate marketing can't be trusted. He has opted for the "marketplace" model of doing business instead....which honestly, I can't blame him for. He had never tried using SAS, but it's too late the bad taste in his mouth won't go away.

This thread alone is testament to how CJ treats affiliates. They have their own dedicated forum on one of the best, if not THE BEST, affiliate marketing websites in the world, and they don't take the time to address posts from their affiliates.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I still have no idea how to find reversed sales reports in CJ. I've asked, gotten answers but never anything that makes sense or gives me a clear way to determine if there are, in fact, reversals on my account.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

if a CJ rep could address these concerns here
    CJ reps have never brought anything but a pile of bullshit to the forums. That's why they got driven off.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne View Post
    I still have no idea how to find reversed sales reports in CJ. I've asked, gotten answers but never anything that makes sense or gives me a clear way to determine if there are, in fact, reversals on my account.
    If you just run a "Commission Detail" report for current month, previous month, etc. the reversals will appear (in red) in place of the original transactions.

12. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne View Post
    This thread might help you out.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/commi...als-97221.html

14. Thanks From:

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread