15 years and counting
    Scareware: FBI Operation Trident Tribunal busts two Latvian + massive rings
    If while browsing the Internet, you start receiving pop-up security warnings that state your computer is infected with numerous viruses, more likeky you're a victim of scareware.

Scareware is malicious software that poses as legitimate computer security software and claims to detect a variety of threats on the affected computer that do not actually exist. Fake antivirus products are designed to appear legitimate, with names such as Virus Shield, Antivirus, or VirusRemover using unsolicited “free computer scans”.

June 24, 2011: A gang that made more than $72m peddling fake security software has been shut down in a series of raids.
    The FBI obtained warrants to seize 22 PCs and servers located across the United States that were used to support scareware operations.
    more: Massive scareware operation nabs two Latvian twenty-somethings | Beyond The Beyond

Too bad it is so difficult to find the people responsible for this stuff.

I had someone ask me yesterday if I still thought this whole internet thing would keep growing considering all of the recent hacking and virus stories in the news.

Yes, that person was over 60 and yes I responded that the whole internet thing would continue to grow and be just fine.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Those crooks need a long term security plan. I have a few friends that fell for their hook.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Go to download.com and get both "Advanced Systemcare" and Malwarebytes ... plus AVG antivirus. These fake security center hijackers have their crapware even running in the "safe mode" and they also kill off running any .exe executible program including Task manager. Often you'll need to download.. Rkill... before running a new install of Malwarebytes as these Credit card stealing perps and infestation champs also place root kits making your system a zombie. AVG has a real working rootkit scan feature.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    It's good to see you back, Mike. Where have you been? I had one infestation some time ago and it was a real pain to clean my system. This crapware reinstalls by itself. Malwarebytes was useful.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    It's good to see you back, Mike. Where have you been? I had one infestation some time ago and it was a real pain to clean my system. This crapware reinstalls by itself. Malwarebytes was useful.
    Hi Zeus... Oh wise one of Grecian lore. Is that the proper greeting? I've had many local clients who have been fighting these infestation fee/credit card stealing perps. Without Rkill (Google it) in various file forms on a USB thumb drive your stumped even in safemode as no .exe file aside from IE will run. The rootkit for email background spamming was a nice added touch for these greed mongers. I had one CPA client ( I still do small business computer & network installs as a sideline) who replaced 3 puters He got so frustrated with a Security Essentials 2011 & 2010 poser that flooded his desktop with scareware "your infected" messages. Even Ctrl+Alt+Del wouldn't work as it blocked task manager. His new computer then got infected wiht the same crapware so He called me and I fixed all the systems as a obcessive/compulsive project.

You have to downlaod a fresh copy of Malwarebytes and choose update during a fresh install AFTER running Rkill as these scareware exploits block updating of most anti-spyeware/adware anti-virus programs. Bill Gates should hire killer mercenaries to go after these wanks... It would be cheaper to put a dead or alive bounty on them.
    Last edited by ecomcity; June 29th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread