Want to get started, but I am just reading and reading
    Hi, I have been about to start doing affiliating for about a year now, Thinking, reading, planing etc. I have come up with several ideas I think have good potential within areas that I am knowledgeble and interested.
    However I have never built a website before and I think I have become overwhelmed with all the information that is out there.
    As I said I belive the Ideas I have hold some good potential but I want to know how to make it perfect and the most profitable and not get it wrong or miss some small important part that makes a big deifference. So I just keep on thinking and reading more and more and months are just going by and I realize I should get started.

Anyway any words of wisdom from people who have been there and got passed it is much apreciated. Preferebly more than a short obvius just get started or It's so hard thees days you gotta know everthing to succed.

Sorry, but the best words of wisdom I can give you are to stop reading and start doing. Make some mistakes, correct them and keep moving forward. The only way you'll learn your shortcomings is to live them. Find out where you're strong and build on that, find out where you're weak and build those skills. If you wait until you know everything (and believe me there never is an "everything") you'll never get started.

As you run into problems along the way post questions here. When you get a site up and running, submit it for a site review (and then duck). When you make your first sale, share it with the community (the beers are on you). But whatever you do, get started. Jump in with both feet and don't be afraid to fail (or succeed). And good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I built my first site over a dozen years ago and it still isn't perfect, but I'm working on it.

What rematt said is right, learn by doing and you'll probably want to kick yourself for putting it off so long. Perfection never happens because things change, but that first site is not still sitting there in html 3 optimized for Netscape. Things change and you learn as you go. Good luck!

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Sorry, but the best words of wisdom I can give you are to stop reading and start doing. Make some mistakes, correct them and keep moving forward. The only way you'll learn your shortcomings is to live them. Find out where you're strong and build on that, find out where you're weak and build those skills. If you wait until you know everything (and believe me there never is an "everything") you'll never get started.

As you run into problems along the way post questions here. When you get a site up and running, submit it for a site review (and then duck). When you make your first sale, share it with the community (the beers are on you). But whatever you do, get started. Jump in with both feet and don't be afraid to fail (or succeed). And good luck.

-rematt
    Thanks for the reply. Okey so you're saying just go at it, like get wordpress and a domain and hosting and just start building and change later is better than figuring it out beforehand. Well first question would be how to get started with wordpress then?

To get started with wordpress, there are many posts and threads here to take you step by step through the process. First buy your domain, then find a decent affordable host - then install wp with one button install via control panel on your decent host.

Reading to get things right is not a bad thing but if you are waiting to know everything before you start you may never start. As you run into things you need to know you can look them up here or ask questions, either way you will have started. That first step can be hard to do, but after you go through it once, you will probably have more sites before the year is up.

Here is a thread full of advice for those getting started: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/newbi...te-145960.html

I'll see if I can find the basic step by step for WP - OK found it: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/blogg...ay-122889.html
    Warning- it's an old thread, but not much has changed for installation. Read through the Blogging forum and you will be a WPWiz.
    Last edited by 2busy; June 25th, 2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Found the thread

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    To get started with wordpress, there are many posts and threads here to take you step by step through the process. First buy your domain, then find a decent affordable host - then install wp with one button install via control panel on your decent host.

Reading to get things right is not a bad thing but if you are waiting to know everything before you start you may never start. As you run into things you need to know you can look them up here or ask questions, either way you will have started. That first step can be hard to do, but after you go through it once, you will probably have more sites before the year is up.

Here is a thread full of advice for those getting started: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/newbi...te-145960.html

I'll see if I can find the basic step by step for WP - OK found it: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/blogg...ay-122889.html
    Warning- it's an old thread, but not much has changed for installation. Read through the Blogging forum and you will be a WPWiz.
    Thx a lot for the reply!
    I will get started, I just realized yday that I have only had end goals and tryed to make an action plan to reach them, and to design that action plan is really overwhelming having only the perfect end goal in mind so I have set end goal/vission and now also set closer smaller goals wich suddenly makes it look a lot easier to get going.

Also thx for the wp link. Why do you say I should get decent hosting only? And what do you mean by decent?
    I want a reliable host where I am free to do many things like having downloadable content and streaming video if I so desire. Is that standard or is it rare or very costy?

Streaming video is not standard and if you mean bit torrents, they are specifically prohibited on most hosts, and costly. You may want to think about working your way up to a level where your income will surpass those expenses. If you mean adding a Youtube vid to WP, that is fairly standard. There are a few hosts you may want to avoid, like GoDaddy because their server settings make a lot of everyday things like datfeed client services impossible. If you read around here about hosting at all you will read the experiences others have had.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtheborders View Post
    Hi, I have been about to start doing affiliating for about a year now, Thinking, reading, planing etc. I have come up with several ideas I think have good potential within areas that I am knowledgeble and interested.
    However I have never built a website before and I think I have become overwhelmed with all the information that is out there.
    As I said I belive the Ideas I have hold some good potential but I want to know how to make it perfect and the most profitable and not get it wrong or miss some small important part that makes a big deifference. So I just keep on thinking and reading more and more and months are just going by and I realize I should get started.

Anyway any words of wisdom from people who have been there and got passed it is much apreciated. Preferebly more than a short obvius just get started or It's so hard thees days you gotta know everthing to succed.
    I was in a similar position of having ideas and wanting to start but afraid to make mistakes.

Let me assure you of one thing you will make mistakes, we all make mistakes but they are part of your building blocks and you will learn from them. I have also been forced to ask questions which were really basic but needed answering and you will find that the support here is second to none, no one will look down on you they genuinely want to help.

I buy my domains through Godaddy (others are just as good) and host my WP sites with Hostgator and have no problems with either so far.

So do not procrastinate any longer, start today. Setting up first time can be very daunting but if this 68 year old accountant can do it you will.

Remember if you want visual aid everything is available on youtube. But if you are really stuck just ask.

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Sorry, but the best words of wisdom I can give you are to stop reading and start doing.
    Already "Thank"ed the post, but this bears repeating. Over and over again. To myself. It's so easy to get in a "planning" rut and never get around to the "doing".

Reminds me of one of my favorite Patton quotes: "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

14. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    or this:

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"

-John Greenleaf Whittier
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Streaming video is not standard and if you mean bit torrents, they are specifically prohibited on most hosts, and costly. You may want to think about working your way up to a level where your income will surpass those expenses. If you mean adding a Youtube vid to WP, that is fairly standard. There are a few hosts you may want to avoid, like GoDaddy because their server settings make a lot of everyday things like datfeed client services impossible. If you read around here about hosting at all you will read the experiences others have had.
    What I meant was I want to be able to have videos on some sites that is not on youtube or any other site. And I want to be able to have Audio and video for streaming and downloading free and after purchase. This will only be my own work and products if it is what you meant by bit torrents being prohibited?
    Maybe it is better to have samples on the site and then having the audio and video for sale via links to a site like Itunes. Idk..

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    I was in a similar position of having ideas and wanting to start but afraid to make mistakes.

Let me assure you of one thing you will make mistakes, we all make mistakes but they are part of your building blocks and you will learn from them. I have also been forced to ask questions which were really basic but needed answering and you will find that the support here is second to none, no one will look down on you they genuinely want to help.

I buy my domains through Godaddy (others are just as good) and host my WP sites with Hostgator and have no problems with either so far.

So do not procrastinate any longer, start today. Setting up first time can be very daunting but if this 68 year old accountant can do it you will.

Remember if you want visual aid everything is available on youtube. But if you are really stuck just ask.
    Thx for the inspiration I will, I will begin with a personal blogg

I agree with a lot of the replies on this post to just hit the ground running. I've seen a ton of affiliates just sit and plan and plan and plan, thinking they can wait for a perfect time or a perfect landing page to come along and then instant success. It cannot be overstated that trial and error is a major factor in this business, and although there are tools like blogs, forums, networks, etc to cut some of those corners, you're really going to find out what works best for you by just going out there and testing things, whether offers, traffic, or builds. Optimize!

RE:Getting started
    Hello,

I can relate to how you feel. I wanted to get started but I first wanted to make sure I understood everything I was doing. Then it became too overwhelming for me at some points but everyone else is right just start getting into it. Learn as your doing it. No better way to learn then getting into and learning, making mistakes learning from those mistakes...and keep posting and reading forums. Never gain too much info.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links on here? but if you check out my homepage you can learn about creating websites and doing it for free. Just trying to spread the wealth that I've learned!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bjonson View Post
    Hello,

I can relate to how you feel. I wanted to get started but I first wanted to make sure I understood everything I was doing. Then it became too overwhelming for me at some points but everyone else is right just start getting into it. Learn as your doing it. No better way to learn then getting into and learning, making mistakes learning from those mistakes...and keep posting and reading forums. Never gain too much info.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links on here? but if you check out my homepage you can learn about creating websites and doing it for free. Just trying to spread the wealth that I've learned!

Cheers
    No, you can't list it here. It's against the rules.

Also, your website is one of these type websites and we don't like them here: Buy My Stupid Ebook, Overly SEO d Title, Keywords Crammed like Make Money Online Make Money Online Make Money Online

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks! I kinda figured that but wasn't 100% sure on it. I did just email my affiliate manager about pricing so I now know!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread