Post Go Daddy for sale
    Watch prices go up as a result of the new owners wanting a quick payback...

Go Daddy, the world's biggest registrar of Internet domain names by volume, is close to agreeing to a buyout valuing the U.S. private company at $2 billion-$2.5 billion, according to people familiar with the talks.

Go Daddy in Buyout Talks - TheStreet

2. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by CCBerries View Post
    Watch prices go up as a result of the new owners wanting a quick payback...

Go Daddy in Buyout Talks - TheStreet
    How much leverage do they have for a big increase? Seems as there is a lot of competition in this area.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCBerries View Post
    Watch prices go up as a result of the new owners wanting a quick payback...[/url]
    For the past several months GoDaddy has quietly raised their prices on .com. Used to be $8.99 to $11.99. Sure it was to make a buyout more attractive...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    GoDaddy has a great white label solution that I wished I had when I managed a program for their competitor. Will be interesting to see who has tendered the offer.

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Will not outright sale, I guess more of a partnership -

"Contrary to reports in publications such as The Wall Street Journal, this was not an outright acquisition. Parsons remains the single largest shareholder in the company in what he terms a “partnership”.

Bob Parsons Explains Go Daddy – KKR Deal to Domain Name Wire - Domain Name Wire

“We are partnering with KKR, Silver Lake and TCV because of their technology expertise, their understanding of Web based businesses and because their values align with ours. We believe, together, we will take the company to the next level, especially when it comes to accelerating international growth.”
    Last edited by Trust; July 2nd, 2011 at 12:51 AM.

Interesting statement. If I were KKR, silverlake, and tcv, I don't know that I would want Parsons stating our values aligned.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Tax Paying Member
    KKR never looses. Parsons is playing with the big boys now.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Parsons is a dirt bag but smart as a fox. I am sure he will yield on the T&A commercials for the almighty buck.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Calling him a dirt bag is an insult to dirt and to bags. My thoughts of him lean more towards miserable scum.

I'm sure elephant gun sellers are salivating at the thought of him with all that cash.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Why is he a dirt bag? The elephant stuff?

With that, let me preface by saying I don't like animals killed. I don't hunt. But..........

I eat meat. Animals get killed for that.

Was the presentation bad? Yes.

Did he go over there for humanitarian reasons or just to shoot something big, might be the latter. But:

It's not the first time he did that, he had videos of that stuff years prior.

The elephants were causing problems for some people and their food.

Seems nobody really talks about the people. So what they're hungry right?

And the way they went at that elephant, they seemed pretty hungry, they didn't seem to mind him killing that elephant.

And was reading on the domain forums when all this happened and people wanting to transfer their domains out to some other registrar. Well, what if the CEO of that registrar legally hunted as well? Are people trying to find some vegetarian CEO of a registrar?

And I would take the opinions of the people that actually lived over there vs. the ones that live over here.

You can see YouTube videos of lions killing elephants, just as graphic if not more.

Again, I eat meat. It's in nice little packages at the grocery store. But it doesn't magically appear like that.
    Last edited by Trust; July 2nd, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

If I Used GoDaddy I Would Leave - Please Consider That

Note two things: Though Parsons has stood by his position, refused to apologize, and said he will continue his killing, after this all came out he edited his original video to make the actual killing less obvious and to remove scenes of villagers filleting the dead elephant wile wearing GoDaddy hats.

add: posted this before you edited your post to add all that stuff.

Bottom line is that there are numerous humanitarian ways to prevent the elephants from damaging the crops and aid workers present were horrified at what he did. He also lied about the elephant he killed being a wild bull - it was actually a docile female.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; July 2nd, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    But what about the stuff I posted in the last post?

Parsons is a dirt bag but smart as a fox.
    I was referring to his commercials which look like they should be only shown on the Spice channel. He isn't doing anything wrong and I am not a prude (quite the opposite). He obviously knows his target audience and am impressed with the growth of the company. Having run a program for an old school registrar I have to say GoDaddy is hard to compete against. All I am saying as someone who doesn't own 100 domains is that the only other connection to the company are the booty commercials.

His humanitarian bull is a load of crap - he hunts for the "thrill" of killing. Also, at some point he decided to publicize it all, and make it into a commercial, hence all the GoDaddy hats given out that just happened to be featured in the original version of the video.

One animal killing another for survival is hardly the same as a human with guns killing animals for the thrill.

Like I said, there are documented methods of protecting crops in that area that do not involve killing or injuring elephants.

ABW Ambassador
    "Bottom line is that there are numerous humanitarian ways to prevent the elephants from damaging the crops and aid workers present were horrified at what he did."

Like what? I've read they tried those ways "building fires, banging drums, cracking whips and even building fences" But if they don't work, this is how it's done over there. People gotta eat.

"His humanitarian bull is a load of crap - he hunts for the "thrill" of killing."

And that might be very well. People hunt here in the United States as well for that thrill. And here, we have grocery stores everywhere, they don't even need to hunt. Over there, completely different story.

I post the hypothetical tho. What if the CEO of where you transfer your domains too, legally hunts as well? Are you looking for a vegetarian CEO? Serious question.

"One animal killing another for survival is hardly the same as a human with guns killing animals for the thrill. "

Again, we're leaving the people out. You saw the video right? They were starving, they were hungry. They were eating to survive.
    Last edited by Trust; July 2nd, 2011 at 02:31 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    "I was referring to his commercials which look like they should be only shown on the Spice channel."

I mean with that, yeah sex sells. It's obviously working since they are the #1 registrar. When we had the poll here, they were #1. Also, #1 on the domain forums I've been reading. Set aside the commercials, set aside Bob and I'm very happy with GoDaddy. Never had an issue. Good prices, lively auction platform, have my own account rep etc.

The only negative as far as the service itself that I've seen complaints for is all the upselling. But with that, I've learned to click thru that pretty quickly and I understand it's a business and that's where they make a lot of money at.

"Go Daddy has been named "Best Registrar" by DomainNameWire.com, a domain name industry news source for five consecutive years (2005 - 2010.)"
    Last edited by Trust; July 2nd, 2011 at 02:48 PM.

From Go Daddy CEO Still Thinks He's a Hero, Zimbabweans Disagree

Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, sees the problem year-round*— not just on an annual vacation safari. In an AOL News interview, he said Parsons*"is totally misinformed about what is going on here. I wish he knew the truth." He said hunters like Parsons don't understand*how the corrupt government has*led to the collapse of the economy and destruction of wildlife.

Rodrigues said that if he could speak to Parsons, he would tell him "he is supporting a terrible system that is not helping the poor people on the ground. Coming here with all his wealth for these unethical hunts and killing elephants is not helping anyone. It's perpetuating a horrible cycle in this country of traumatized animals and desperate people. And by telling them to eat meat the way he did and giving them his caps is like treating them like slaves."

Patrick Webb, president of the National Wildlife Humane Society, noted in a comment on my story about the video going viral, "Parsons claims he's a hero for feeding the local villagers elephant meat for a few days.*For $30 grand, he could have fed them for a year. Or he could have built fences, or set them up in the beekeeping business (keeps eles away and adds income). His enormous ego won't allow him to simply admit he enjoys killing big, beautiful, iconic species."
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; July 2nd, 2011 at 02:39 PM.

I mean with that, yeah sex sells. It's obviously working since they are the #1 registrar. When we had the poll here, they were #1. Also, #1 on the domain forums I've been reading. Set aside the commercials, set aside Bob and I'm very happy with GoDaddy. Never had an issue. Good prices, lively auction platform, have my own account rep etc.

The only negative as far as the service itself that I've seen complaints for is all the upselling. But with that, I've learned to click thru that pretty quickly and I understand it's a business and that's where they make a lot of money at.
    I have had very little direct interaction with GoDaddy but most of the techs and local affiliates I speak with use them. They obviously listen to their customers. I fully understand the "upsell" comment because the registrar I worked with was huge on that. We sold $7/mo and offered $125 commissions because they knew they would upsell. I tried to get residual commissions or a white label program but they wouldn't do it. GoDaddy has that.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, and like I said most people care about the business part:

"Go Daddy has been named "Best Registrar" by DomainNameWire.com, a domain name industry news source for five consecutive years (2005 - 2010.)"

You see that in any Best Registrar Poll like the one we had here - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/domai...rs-130334.html

They got almost half the votes.

We'll see what happens with this new partnership.
    Last edited by Trust; July 2nd, 2011 at 02:53 PM.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The parent company of GoDaddy.com, a top registrar of Internet domain names, has been sold to a group of private investment firms for $2.25 billion, a person familiar with the transaction told The Associated Press.

Go Daddy Group Inc.'s sale to KKR, Silver Lake and Technology Crossover Ventures comes as the company expects to top $1.1 billion in revenue this year because expanding Internet use has fueled the creation of more websites and the "domains" needed to help find them. Go Daddy announced the sale late Friday. A person close to the transaction, who asked to remain anonymous because of not being authorized to speak publicly, told the AP the sale price.
    $2.25 billion WOW, that's a lot of clams!

Source
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 2nd, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Very interesting news, however, lets see whether they goes in a new direction or opt the current well established route.

Tax Paying Member
    KKR rarely invests for the long haul........They see something that they can roll over for big buck.

1....Take it public.
    2....There may be a tie in to the new domain categories that are being considered.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread