More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have started doing searches for my pages. If I don't do a quoted search, my page is nowhere to be found. At the bottom of the search results is a link stating

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Dissatisfied? Help Us Improve</span>

For example if I were to search for "The XYZ Affiliate Site" (without quotes) in hopes of finding my great XYZ Site featuring the actual XYZ products but instead get lots of sites that don't even deal with XYZ products, I can scroll down to the bottom to the link mentioned above. This then directs me to a form I can complete, and there is a field for the URL I was trying to find.

I have made several submissions to google already. If you have lost 70% of your traffic (like me), it would be a good thing to do.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Annoy Google, lose the other 30%. Good plan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Annoy Google, lose the other 30%. Good plan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, perhaps your misinterpreted my post. I am submitting serious inquiries to google. Their feedback link exists exactly for the purpose of providing specific feedback relating to a specific search. It is in their best interest to know that the algorithm changes are not providing relevant results. And google does take a lot of stock in feedback, especially if they get a lot of people singing the same tune.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Does the feedback have anything to do with your site?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Does the feedback have anything to do with your site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There is a field for the URL you were hoping to find. So if the URL is from my site, then yes. But it could be any URL you are trying to find containing the search phrase.

ABW Ambassador
    Not following, i could be reading it wrong. I was asking about "I have made several submissions to google already."

If that was about your site? If so, i think they might have a special place for affiliates, the trash bin. I'm not Google, but if i were i wouldn't pay too much attention to affiliates/webmasters who have some sort of financial interest in the listings and inquire or recommend specific urls. I do think they listen to some feedback and try to work it out in the algo. I know the recent update has been tough but i would just ride it out and build.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I dunno, but I suspect that an affiliate annoying Google is somewhat like an eyelash mite annoying an elephant.

In other words, they probably have thousands of bit buckets full of those types of emails which they don't even notice.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    After getting the gajillionth hit to a page that didn't exist any more (and hasn't existed in ages), I made like a "regular joe" and emailed 'em about the amount of 404s in that category (most results for that particular search go right to 404svills).

They wrote back in a couple of days with a real human response. The response indicated that they had actually looked at the SERPs in question, since they mentioned specific characteristics which an autoresponse couldn't be written to just assume.

They also said to please have patience, which I took to mean "don't hold your breath..."

So they DO at least read the emails and look at what the complaint is about.

I certainly didn't tell them that one of the sites in those SERPs is mine, though, or that what *really* miffs me is the fact that the dead-*ss 404 pages get lots of hits while the still-live pages on that site are buried!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
    I dunno, but I suspect that an affiliate annoying Google is somewhat like an eyelash mite annoying an elephant.

In other words, they probably have thousands of bit buckets full of those types of emails which they don't even notice. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not an email - this is a submitted form. Yes, they do read these submissions - that's why the link (and form) is there. I'm sure they are not going to switch their algorithm because one webmaster's nose is out of joint, but if they see a reoccuring pattern, they will take notice.

I also use the "Help Us Improve" links if the SERPs are totally useless. I report spammy sites, poor results, etc., and I think it does help. I know for a fact that Google has people assigned to investigate and review submissions made via this online form.

Andy

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread