Okay, first off, I'm a long time Google fan and have been following them sice I first saw the Backrub spider in my logs (they were still at Stanford at the time), but I'm entirely confused by some of their logic...

Second, this thread may not contain any useful informational content. At this point I'm just ranting, so be forewarned.

I submitted a new AdWords campaign recently. Within 1 day over half the words were on hold or disabled. Many with only 1 freaking impression! Now according to Google:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The status label, based on your keyword's clickthrough rate (CTR) on Google search pages (not sites on the Google ad network), indicates the state your keywords are in... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read that right, right?

Based on my keyword's clickthrough rate...? So 0 clicks out of 1 impression isn't high enough? Wait, one had over 30 impressions to get put on hold and one of the disabled words had nearly 30, so I guess they really are giving the words a fair shot...

^^ sarcasm

The other thing that drives me nuts is when I get a word that is performing fantastically on content match, but not in search, it gets disabled. It doesn't make any sense!

The word is generating a ton of clicks that are converting great for me.

I'm paying a nice chunk for every click.

I'm a very happy advertiser.

So Google disables the ad...

AdWords is starting to feel like a waste of time. If I could easily tweak the ad and resubmit underperforming words, I'd love to, but I can't, nor can I trust their measure of performance! If I could turn off search in order to prevent great performing content match words from getting disabled, I would, but no go there either.

It's maddening!!!

Google will still see some of my ad dollars, but only because they have good traffic volume and quality fraud prevention. Overture, on the other hand, is starting to see a lot more of those dollars every day.

Please, Google, hear my pain. All I'm trying to do is spend more money with you...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Another item for my wishlist on Google and ALL PPC engines is the ability to block specific network partners.

I'd happily use pretty much all the PPCs if I could do some of the fraud policing myself. Google and Overture are good at fraud prevention, but there are still partners I'd like to avoid. This is even more true on the smaller networks.

It'd be great for advertisers and, I think, a good way for the PPCs to highlight potential bad apples in the network.
    Eathan Mertz

I think the other networks know who the fraudsters are, but they allow it because they bring in a ton of clicks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yeah, but those same fraudsters are why many of us that spend $1000s elsewhere drop their networks.

Seems like those that think longer term will sacrifice the clicks now to build a stronger business down the road. Oh well, we've seen plenty of other short sighted companies go under on the web. I wonder which of the PPCs will go next (taking peoples ad budgets with 'em)...
    Eathan Mertz

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    Another item for my wishlist on Google and ALL PPC engines is the ability to block specific network partners.
    - - - - -

On a related note, I specifically asked one PPC to block a questionable traffic source from my bids, and they complied. They asked to remain nameless, as they don't want everyone specifying exactly where they get their traffic from. I haven't done business with them for a while, though, something just didn't sit right with me about them.

Point being, if you advertise enough and are aware of where the PPCs get their traffic, you might be able to negotiate with them. Something to think about leastways.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Ethan,

I agree .. I have the same fustration....

Google rejected one of my ads because the Name was a trademark ...

guess what all the names of my products are trademarked... they approved the other 19 of 20...

I resumitted the ad 5 times before it was approved... {asking for an exemption...) the problem in my case was without the word... no one would know what I was selling...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

elbowcreek, I wish more would make exceptions like you mention. Most don't seem to take it seriously. I've sent lists of domains engaged in click fraud, as well as log entries showing the referers to other PPCs before without action being taken beyond a couple clicks getting refunded.

I mean that's great and all, but what about the fraudulent clicks they send tomorrow, the next day and the day after that?

Joe, yes, the dreaded request an exception messages! The worst is when they tell you you've mispelled something and make you request an exception to spell it that way. A simple "Hey, your spelling looks funky. Are you sure...?" message would suffice. In all cases so far the words have been spelled exactly as we intended.

I don't mind jumping through a few hoops, but I do when the words are just going to be put on hold the next day anyway...
    Eathan Mertz

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread