The "Thanks" System
    Ok, so I'm not a fan of this current set up, not at all.

For starters I think it replaces posts as it's easy to say thanks but not actually post anything. However, I do see the benefit in saving time by showing affirmation of a post. But, the way it's displayed completely SPLITS and distracts from the thread by overpowering the discussion with the horizontal line of usernames.

Might I suggest you remove the horizontal section below the post to move the "Thanks" to the sidebar under the instant messenger icons with a number so it would read as:
    Thanks from: 3
    The number of people who thanked would be a dhtml pop up with the names of the thankers (as with the current definition links). This would keep your system in place for whatever benefit you see, but won't SPLIT the conversation with the distractions across the screen. As I think it matters more how many thank and that the thread not be detracted from in any way.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

2. Thanks From:

I like the thanks system and the way it is done here on ABW.

I would much rather see these "Thanks" in a small, tight grouping than have to scroll through a bunch of individual posts that all say "Thanks". If anyone has something to add to their thanks, they'll likely post anyways.

It is also a nice way to show appreciation for a helpful post. As for replacing the names of those who offer their thanks with a number, I prefer to see who is giving thanks, and the names in no way distract me from the gist of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    As for replacing the names of those who offer their thanks with a number

Kaizen,

Allow me to clarify, what I suggest is not just the number but when you mouse over the number you'd see the names of who gave thanks.

Thanks from: MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER, MEMBER
    Hopefully the Matt and the iNET team can find a happy medium
    Continued Success,

Haiko

So if your not logged in, there was a post behind the scenes (as usual) to discuss this (see :http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1087146-post49.html )

The name of this sub-forum is suggestions, this was a suggestion, I find it cumbersome, distracting and more of a popularity / clique thing, yes there are times to do +1 but the thanks system (to me) is counter productive. That doesn't mean some of you like it, or love it, that's fine, like I said it was a suggestion.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

The original suggestion for the "Thanks" feature was brought up in the Inner Circle, which is why there is discussion about it there.

Personally, I like it the way it is. It's more compact than having separate posts for each +1. It's more compact than the default installation of the plugin. Haiko's suggestion would be even more compact, but I think it loses some of the functionality. To many people, who is Thanking a thread is just as important as how many.

We're not going to make a modification like this for one person, without considering the opinions of those who originally suggested the feature and the community as a whole.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I already voiced my opinion in the other thread, as well as during the initial discussion..

Personally I like to see who has endorsed a post - rather than distracting from it, it becomes more noticeable to me. It makes it easier to scan a thread and find salient points.

So can someone point me to the discussion about the -2 font size MODIFICATION that just happened? I can't see it in this or the other thread? At least also change the height/padding of the row so it doesn't look so small now.

Oh those ever so helping hands, they try so hard.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 28th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Haiko, is there something going on here.. are you trying to provoke something..?

This modification was something that was discussed at length a few months ago, and as you mentioned yourself, you posted a suggestion to change it.

I don't see how or why CSS tweaks to this "thanks" feature would be discussed beyond specific browser-issues - what's with the sarcasm now?

10. Thanks From:
    kse

Post #4 I said it was a suggestion, as part of my participation I saw this as an issue and decided to suggest a change.

Post #5 Admin, for whatever reason says "We're not going to make a modification like this ... "

Post #7 I ask where was the font modification discussion is because the change is more than evident.

So, I don't understand the incongruities ... between what is represented and what is done hours later. If that's provoking something then yeah, you betcha!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    Oh those ever so helping hands, they try so hard.
    I'll have to check with the helping hands to find out. I think it's probably a little small now (and I've always felt it was a little too big before - but not enough to complain about it). I'm sure we'll be able to come to a happy medium.

Thanks for all the suggestions today. I'm glad you care enough to share your opinions. As the founder of ABW, you have a special insight that none of the rest of us have and whether we agree or not we should certainly put a lot of weight on what you have to say. Together, we can all make ABW a better place.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread