If you have a very general site with lots of traffic. What kind of ads could you run? The topics are very mixed.

mags, electronics, health products, candy, food

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

AdSense might work well for that. Traditional banner advertising can also work well.

If you can focus that traffic into specific areas, you can target those specific areas more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    For a general audience I would go with a pay per click program like Adsense.

If the pages are about specific topics without being sales oriented, then let Google figure out which ads to show on each.

Yup, AdSense or general seasonal banners (e.g. Valentine's day). Use SSIs and you can change the banners nice and easily.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I already have adsense on the detail pages. I was looking for something that could be put in the header. I tried adsense in both spots but it looks spammy. I'll need to think about this one some more.

try general banners from fastclick or some other ad network

I run Valueclick ads and rydium ads, both are geotargeted so not only do people get relevant ads to whats displayed on my page but they also get ads that are for their country of orgin.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I tried adsense in both spots but it looks spammy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try a different size of AdSense. I've got it on the sides of my pages (the skyscraper) and it doesn't look spammy at all. I've read in other threads that the ugly box option might pay more, but I don't want to scare people away from the merchant that's also on the pages...

Remember that you can also change the colors used in the AdSense, which helps a lot! Done properly, it can even look like it "belongs," on some sites.

That said, for content sites, FastClick is nice and consistent although you won't be retiring on their money (unless you've got a gajillion page views, anyway)!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread