View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sorry -- No Way Possible.

4 80.00%
  • Good Point, But No Way..

1 20.00%
  • Wow, Now That You Mention It, Could Be..

0 0%
  • For Sure. I Agree.

0 0%
    Amazon Nexus Terminations - Fact or Fiction?
    For all the conspiracy theorists, what if all along Amazon was hopeful for a way out of their affiliate obligations-- and these state-by-state nexus taxes were just a great excuse for Amazon to phase our big state affiliate programs without taking the heat themselves for doing so...
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

ABW Ambassador
    What? They can simply just cancel their affiliate program. I think their (Amazon) issue is a right one, this one is on the states.
    Last edited by Trust; June 30th, 2011 at 01:19 AM.

3. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Absurd.

They would not be spending a fortune in legal fees to litigate their action to overturn the New York law if that were the case.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

It's not an irrational theory. If Amazon did want to shrink its Associates Program with minimal negative reaction from publishers, this would certainly be one strategy -- and a few million dollars in legal fees in New York would be a reasonable price to pay to keep up appearances. Any time a company wants to do something that folks find unpleasant, it's wonderful if they can shift the blame elsewhere (the devil made me do it).

But it's not very likely. Amazon's "Associates" (like most companies' "affiliates") send Amazon both new and repeat customers at a very low cost compared to other advertising and marketing strategies. Amazon has already adjusted its program by slashing commission rates for coupon sites, apparently believing either that these sites add less value, or that they'll continue to promote Amazon even at the lower rates.

Frankly, Amazon hasn't been as visibly aggressive in opposing the "Amazon Taxes" as I would have expected, but I suspect that's a strategic decision (and probably a smart one -- notice how Overstock has recently stopped seeking media attention on this issue). And I didn't feel that their lawyers have handled the lawsuit in New York very wisely, but IANAL. Amazon has been pretty clear and consistent in communicating with publishers and with politicians, and with media outlets that can quickly navigate Amazon's media-relations structure.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 30th, 2011 at 01:57 AM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    But what if they had WON a clear-cut decision in New York, in a reasonable time? There would then have been no domino effect across the country.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

minimal negative reaction from publishers
    Honestly, these huge internet corporations couldn't give a lick about any publishers reaction.
    Goog, Ebay, Amazon, whoever. Just look at how they operate.

Amazon will happily terminate affs. to save a 7-9% surcharge on their prices. That tells me that they value their aff program at substantially less than that. Probably a growing annoyance and shrinking benefit.

Wouldn't surprise me if after a few more states fall, they close the aff program up completely. Maybe they open up some kind of CPC ad deal for premium publishers.

Can't speak for other states, but sitting here in NC, the whole thing looked fairly straightforward. The folks in Raleigh wanted more money to spend rather than cutting their pet projects and figured the Internet was the place to get it.

Amazon, IMHO, was just the biggest target with the most to lose.

MicheleH, did NC collect any of the promised new sales-tax revenue after enacting the law? (I believe the answer is "no.")
    Last edited by markwelch; June 30th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread