Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Merchants Terminating CA Affiliates
    not sure how i'm going to sleep tonight. 24 hours to remove links from my websites. i'm in a little bit of shock right now, even though i knew this was coming.

I'd like to use this thread to keep track of the merchants that terminate CA affiliates. I realize we'll get emails all day but I would rather be safe then sorry (I don't want to miss anyone). here's who's terminated so far:

Amazon.com
    Cabela’s
    Endless.com
    Fabric.com
    Overstock.com
    Zappos.com

please post only merchant names that have terminated you. i will try and group them together end of the day tomorrow so we have a list of merchants to remove from our websites. in the last hour, i'd like to refer to this thread to make sure every merchant that needs to be off my site is off my site.

Moderator Note: List updated 8PM EST 8/2/11 (Special thanks TrishaLyn for compiling info in this thread)

Code:
    6pm.com
    1-800-PetMeds
    Adorama
    Amazon.com
    Amerimark
    Backcountry
    Bag.com
    BagsBuy.com
    Bargain Catalog Outlet
    Barware.com
    BedBathStore
    B&H Photo
    Boden
    BookCloseouts.com
    BrickHouse Electronics
    Brylane Home
    BuildDirect.com
    Cabela’s
    Calvin Klein Jeans
    Camp Saver
    Candelabras.com
    CD Universe
    ChristmasCardsDirect.com
    CKU
    Collections Etc.
    Compact Appliance
    Costume Craze
    CreateForLess.com
    CSN Stores
    Cymax
    Dermadoctor
    Dr. Leonard’s
    Endless.com
    Eurosport
    Fabric.com
    Fingerhut
    FootSmart
    GAIAM
    Garden.com
    Gardeners Supply
    Gettington
    HalloweenCostumes.com
    Hayneedle Stores
    Herroom
    Jessica London
    KingSize Direct
    K. Jordan
    Luggage Online
    Maryland Square
    MetroKitchen
    Movies Unlimited
    MyFavorite Shoe Store
    OneStopPlus
    Overstock.com
    Overstock International
    PC Connection
    PhotoCardsDirect.com
    Potpourri Group
    Powells.com
    Roaman’s
    Shindigz
    Shoe.com
    ShoeBacca
    ShoeBuy.com
    ShopBop.com
    ShoppersChoice.com
    Silkpalms.com
    SmartBargains.com
    Spiritline
    StumpParty
    TABcom
    theWineEnthusiast
    ThinkGeek
    TimeForMeCatalog
    Total Gym
    Woman Within
    Woot.com
    Zappos.com
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; August 2nd, 2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Compiled list added

Get ready for the tidal wave
    You're about to receive a tidal wave of termination emails. I am in North Carolina, and I don't know how long it's been (a year, may-be more?), and I am STILL getting termination notices from merchants--may-be one a week now.

I have a coupon site, so I am affiliated with a lot of stores, but I have been terminated from dozens and dozens of programs. It has hurt me tremendously.

It's interesting to see Twitter going crazy with the news of the California legislation as if this is "brand new." Many of us have been suffering under these conditions for a long time.

I don't really care if internet sales are taxed or not, there just needs to be a national standard so that those of us in certain states are not at a disadvantage vs. our competitors in other states.

Delete all the links?? Is it necessary? Can I just leave them in my site?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovepet View Post
    Delete all the links?? Is it necessary? Can I just leave them in my site?
    You can certainly leave the links on your site, and they'll continue to work for direct links to Amazon (perhaps not for affiliate-network links to its subsidiary sites). But you won't get paid anything. Amazon would surely be happy to receive traffic for free, but hopefully you can identify an alternate advertiser to substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by tutu View Post
    You're about to receive a tidal wave of termination emails. I am in North Carolina, and I don't know how long it's been (a year, may-be more?), and I am STILL getting termination notices from merchants--may-be one a week now.
    Tutu: since you are an NC based affiliate..can you talk about your experiences over the past year or so?

i hear NC was only able to collect approx $20k in taxes because of the law. what exactly was their approach? where you or other affiliates ever audited? the networks? were there specific merchants or affiliates they seemed to be really after?

i'm just interested to know what the state governments whole process is. i'm nervous because this whole thing just feels like a witch hunt.

Outsourced Program Manager kgarcia's Avatar
    I've seen copies of termination letters from these merchants:

ThinkGeek.com
    GiftBaskets.com

If anyone shares additional ones with me, I'll post them.
    Karen Garcia
    [URL=http://lab6media.com]Lab6 Media[/URL]
    Are you a content creator? A serial entrepreneur? New to the space or a long time player? We'd love to work with you!
    [URL=http://lab6media.com/clients/]Explore the affiliate programs we manage![/URL]

CSN Stores
    Newegg

Backcountry and their family of sites
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    Newegg
    Isn't Newegg physically located in Whittier California? They already have to pay tax based on their physical presence. Why are they terminating affiliates?

6pm

Quote Originally Posted by pokerturkey View Post
    Isn't Newegg physically located in Whittier California? They already have to pay tax based on their physical presence. Why are they terminating affiliates?
    I'm with Newegg, it's via CJ, just checked and I'm not terminated, still active, unlike my Overstock with CJ.

By the way neither Overstock or CJ sent me an email letting me know about their expiration, they just did it and I had to check manually.

i think you might be right about newegg. i got that one off a blog. sorry guys. not sure about them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    i think you might be right about newegg. i got that one off a blog. sorry guys. not sure about them yet.
    No worries man, this has been a tough time for the industry. We're trying to process a LOT of bad news in a short period of time. Some info lag is expected.

Stride-Rite in California?
    Anybody know why Stride-Rite doesn't currently have to charge sales tax in California?

They definitely have brick and mortar stores in California. I went through the checkout and there was no tax if I ship to CA. On their website it currently says:

We are required by law to charge sales tax on all orders delivered to AL, CT, IN, KY, MA*, OH, NV, NY, VA, and WA.
    *For Massachusetts, only on footwear individually priced at $175 or more

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Two merchants that I have had little use for since they drastically reduced their commission rates:

Potpourri Group
    BedBathStore

no loss
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Newegg is definitely NOT canceling affiliates, just got a confirmation email from them letting me know that they do operate in Cali and already charge tax.

Interesting quote from their email:

"We would like to reaffirm that unlike Amazon.com, our commitment to you has never been stronger. We will continue to operate as we have in the past with the dual aim of optimizing our affiliate relationship with you while providing our customers with the best possible service and experience. "

Hmm, nice that they sent this when Overstock hasn't even bothered with a cancelation email.

cowboysfan,

I received an initial deluge of termination emails that all basically sound the same--they are sorry, but due to legislation, etc., etc....

The termination emails dwindled but still came every so often. At tax time, they picked up again. I think that as merchants consulted with accountants, perhaps they realized how this law affected them, or just learned about it for the first time.

I am surprised that I am still getting these emails at the rate of about one a week at the very least. With the California legislation, I think it again made merchants aware of the laws, and the emails I've gotten in the past week or so say "we are terminating affiliates in California, NC, etc." listing all the states with this legislation.

While our law was still pending legislation, I contacted both a state senator who was against the bill and one who eventually voted for it, but was totally uneducated about what she was voting for. I did my best to educate her (we emailed back and forth), but she said she was going with advice and studies that had been given to her. I know this issue was "studied," but I do not believe our position was represented in the studies or debate before this law was passed.

The legislators also didn't seem to get the fact that no money would be collected when all of these merchants dropped their affiliates, plus they'd lose state income tax money on the affiliates who were now making less money.

I should have had an amazing year financially as my website visits have gone up tremendously over the last year. My site got national and local media exposure, however, not being able to offer Amazon, Overstock, and many of the other deals people expect on a coupon site, I know is hurting me. There's just no way to replace those deals.

I'm also afraid that as a coupon site, I may get to a point where I can't offer enough different deals if merchants keep terminating me because I'm in N. Carolina.

I know this is very lengthy, but I hope it's helpful. I think we need a national solution. Either tax everyone or no one. I actually don't care, but I can't compete this way.

18. Thanks From:

Gardners Supply
    Fingerhut
    Gettington
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Betty Mills is headquartered in CA, and we already charge tax here, so no risk of us terminating CA affiliates.

-Vic
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

21. Thanks From:

Good Deal.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Just got an email from Cisco Linksys Home Networking and it said that they are also already based in Cal and pay tax there so they will not get rid of affiliates from Cal.

They are on CJ.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; June 30th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Wish more merchants would tell us we're ok

______
    more terms:

SmartBargains
    Gaiam

Question
    Hmm I have to ask, Cowboy .. did you go from CT to CA ?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

yes and no. long story. lets just say affiliate marketing has turned me into a nomad

has anyone created a list of CA merchants ? I'd create one but it may appear a bit self serving.
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast