Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Throwing an affiliate under the bus

Unhappy Throwing an affiliate under the bus
    So I threw an affiliate under the bus today and I think I saved him from embarrassment further down the road. He sent an email to a dormant merchant account I'm still copied on with an insane request.

We have recently launched our new website and would like to request that you place a reciprocal link to our website on your website. Our site relies heavily on search engine traffic to support all of our affiliates. We have sent this same request to all of our affiliates in efforts to strengthen all of our search engine ranks by inter-linking.
    He also said if they linked to his site, he would gladly take a pre-written paragraph about the merchant and promote them.

I quickly sent off a reply saying this is a ridiculous request. No merchant in their right mind should ever consider linking to an affiliate for thousands of reasons. He thinks my response was unprofessional. I think it was a wake up call for him to learn more about affiliate marketing. So I sent him here to ABestWeb.

I'm pretty sure I would respond the same way if a newbie affiliate sent this to me through one of my active affiliate programs. Educating affiliates is a primary goal but letting them do stupid things is another. I'm pretty sure by the end of our email thread, he got my point and we agreed to disagree on my delivery.

Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Hectic GHC; July 6th, 2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: changed title
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

2. Thanks From:

I have to give him credit for that form of SEO. Kind of reminds me of an email I got a while back. A merchant, who I'm not affiliated with, emailed me through one of the networks asking I take down a page on one of my sites. Apparently it was ranking on page 1 for their brand name (without me trying) and it was 'stealing' their traffic.

Its obviously not a good idea for a merchant to link to an affiliate for many reasons.

4. Thanks From:

He just sent me the same note to the Cellars Wine Club program. I had hoped he learned...

Hey affiliate managers, don't ignore his email. Call him out. He's been told to ask for guidance in how to promote specific merchants instead of begging for SEO juice.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Oh those backlink begging email bot programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B View Post
    Oh those backlink begging email bot programs.
    He's not a bot, he's a real boy with attitude...And he doesn't like me for calling him out.
    Greg Hoffman

I don't think you've called him out 'til you've named names.

BTW - if your merchants are giving away backlinks, let me know. I could use a few.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    He's not a bot, he's a real boy with attitude...And he doesn't like me for calling him out.
    Yeah it's technically not a bot, but automated software to send out those emails. Scrapes the addys and auto sends the emails. Bot flowed better.

What's funny is I've gotten them before and I'm not even a merchant! And I bet he didn't like you calling him out; he only wanted to see responses of merchants who had fallen for it.

So should I send him this link and let him comment?
    Greg Hoffman

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    So should I send him this link and let him comment?
    Why not?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Invitation sent.
    Greg Hoffman

Shawn Collins got the same email and blogged about it on Affiliate Tip.
    Greg Hoffman

14. Thanks From:

And he continues to spam my clients. So I changed the title of this thread.

16. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    I got the same email from him this week. And I felt so special. lol. I commend you for calling him out. I know that Shawn Collins had a very "special" interaction with him as well.

18. Thanks From:

We have recently launched our new website and would like to request that you place a reciprocal link to our website on your website.
    That's nothing, I've decided that if you don't redirect your home page to my site I'm dropping your program.

20. Thanks From:

Cool When Buses Collide
    Hey, Greg? Will you ask all your merchants to put links to all my sites on their websites? Please? Please also include all merchants whose programs I'm not on but could be in the foreseeable future. Please also include all merchants whose programs you don't manage. Then please list those merchants and the pages of their sites where my link can be found, in this forum. By next Wednesday. TYVM. Yr friend Casey. PS also can you pls increase my commissions to 80% for all programs too while you're doing that? Thankx, buddy! PPS I am not a bot. Not on Fridays anyway. On Fridays I am a cat. Bye 4 now.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfern View Post
    Hey, Greg? Will you ask all your merchants to put links to all my sites on their websites? Please? Please also include all merchants whose programs I'm not on but could be in the foreseeable future. Please also include all merchants whose programs you don't manage. Then please list those merchants and the pages of their sites where my link can be found, in this forum. By next Wednesday. TYVM. Yr friend Casey. PS also can you pls increase my commissions to 80% for all programs too while you're doing that? Thankx, buddy! PPS I am not a bot. Not on Fridays anyway. On Fridays I am a cat. Bye 4 now.
    Because Greg is not allowed to leave his end of month reports right now (I know, I'm so mean), he wanted me to relay that he will just forward all revenue from his clients to your bank account since you asked so nicely.

I on the other hand will add....after he pays me
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

23. Thanks From:

Geez. This guy's proposition could be called a number of things... silly, ignorant, misguided, naive, whatever. But is he a "bad guy"? Isn't he just trying to trade links for SEO purposes?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    I quickly sent off a reply saying this is a ridiculous request. No merchant in their right mind should ever consider linking to an affiliate for thousands of reasons. He thinks my response was unprofessional.

I'm pretty sure by the end of our email thread, he got my point and we agreed to disagree on my delivery.

Any thoughts on this?
    He may have had some bad teaching, bought a bogus ebook, whatever.

If you used the same tone with him as above, he probably thought you were calling him ridiculous, and felt belittled and put down. I really don't think your wording was particularly professional either.

If you are just paraphrasing and actually worded your response in a professional manner, then I don't blame you for being frustrated with this affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Geez. This guy's proposition could be called a number of things... silly, ignorant, misguided, naive, whatever. But is he a "bad guy"? Isn't he just trying to trade links for SEO purposes?
    I think he is a bad guy at this point because now he knows better and still continues to ignore advice. He is looking for free links from clueless merchants and he won't stop until he gets them.
    Greg Hoffman

I would agree that the guy is mislead. I would disagree that this makes him a bad guy - there are bad things people do, this is not one of them. This is just ignorant of the right way to do things, and he probably does need ABW. Not sure if humiliating him would encourage that... But maybe he'd come around once he tries it his way and finds it doesn't work.

Just my .02
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post

If you used the same tone with him as above, he probably thought you were calling him ridiculous, and felt belittled and put down. I really don't think your wording was particularly professional either.
    Since he is now unapologetic and continues to spam merchants after some great advice, I don't have a problem calling him an idiot.
    Greg Hoffman

Hello everyone! I want to start by saying thank you to everyone that has responded to my email request in a professional manner, and those that haven't, I have even learned a bit from you as well.

Many of you have politely responded that you do not trade links with affiliates, and that is fine, I respect that and you will not receive the request again unless your email address is tied to multiple merchant accounts as my request is being sent out by merchant account/company and only to those whom I have a Shareasale affiliate account with.

For those of you that think this is a ridiculous request and have told me that "No merchant would ever do this", many of them already have. Some have written to tell me that they may not have a spot on their company website for a back link, but have offered to post the link(s) in other places like blogs and other sites that they manage.

I by no means claim to be an SEO expert, but I do know simple math. If only one person agrees to put a link back to my site on their website or one of their blogs, etc., that is one more chance of someone finding my website and the merchants I support that did not exists prior to my email.

Are there better ways? Certainly, there always are, but this is one of the many ways I have chosen to try and drive additional traffic to my website in efforts to support the very merchants that are calling me a "bad guy" and whom do not agree with my email.

You may not agree with this method of gaining traffic, but you are not calling me out on anything, you are just complaining that I am exploring a method that you don't support or agree with. That's fine. Quietly hit the delete button and go about your day.

Yes, many wouldn't. Those who do may not be aware of the implications of doing so. Are you?
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

31. Thanks From:

Welcome to ABW. Please introduce yourself here and learn from affiliates that do this for a living.
    Greg Hoffman

33. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    As an affiliate, I would almost certainly stop promoting ANY merchant that has a direct link on their site to another affiliate. Talk about LEAKS! Talk about UNFAIR ADVANTAGE TO CERTAIN AFFILIATES to the detriment of others!
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; July 5th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast