I'm Brighter than you ...
    ... says the Quasar named ULAS J1120+0641.

The brightest object ever found in the universe -- because it took nearly 13 billion years for its light to reach the Earth. That means that this quasar, this ball of light powered by a black hole about two billion times more massive than our own sun, existed back when the universe was just 770 million years old.

Source
    Boggles my mind just how ginormous the universe is, puts a lot into perspective.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    And yet at times it seems to small. LOL
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    The stars sing
    Because it's always alright.

-- Kenneth Patchen

Haiko, have you bought "SkyView" for your iPhone?

Rhea,

Skyview installed on iPad and GoSkyWatch on iphone ... I gaze and marvel at the sheer beauty and magnitude. I love looking at the constellations and researching the interactivity between them all. Awesome stuff!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Glad to see you here Rhea.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

6. Thanks From:

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Well thanks! I'm up to my eyeballs in work but I thought I'd take a little time off to see what's going on.

From the time I was a tiny child back in Medieval Days, I've been in love with astronomy. With a slightly different turn or two here and there, I might have spent my life as an astronomer -- but didn't.

Wonderful thread. (And I REALLY love the thread title. LOL!!)

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Gary,

Medieval Days LOL!!!! So, the rumor that you wanted to be launched with a trebuchet into space are true?

I remember when I was a kid (the 70's not the 7th Century [LOL]) I used to wonder about why we went to the moon and never really understood it. I saw it more as a goal thing more than a space/science event.

Today, it all encompasses me, makes me think in new ways and see new possibilities. I have been trying soo hard to make it to FL for the last shuttle launch, but don't think I'll be able to make it. But hopefully I'll see the next endeavor to marvel at that next step to the heavens.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 1st, 2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spacing (no pun intended)
    Continued Success,

Haiko

I remember as a kid, "camping out" in the back yard, laying down on the sleeping bag and staring at the stars and moon in amazement. That was of course after the obligatory running around the neighborhood and doing the firecrackers in the mailboxes, and other chaotic things.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    Gary,

Medieval Days LOL!!!! So, the rumor that you wanted to be launched with a trebuchet into space are true?
    Ah, yes. Those were the days.

I remember when I was a kid (the 70's not the 7th Century [LOL]) I used to wonder about why we went to the moon and never really understood it. I saw it more as a goal thing more than a space/science event.
    I had been married for two years when we landed on the moon. (Well, not "we" exactly, as I never got to make the trip, but you know what I mean.)

Today, it all encompasses me, makes me think in new ways and see new possibilities. I have been trying soo hard to make it to FL for the last shuttle launch, but don't think I'll be able to make it. But hopefully I'll see the next endeavor to marvel at that next step to the heavens.
    Not meaning to take this marvelous thread in any macabre directions, but -- the one thing that stirs me most is the thought that one day I will no longer be here for all the wonderful things going on in heaven and earth. I hate the thought of missing it all.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Ah, yes. Those were the days.

I had been married for two years when we landed on the moon. (Well, not "we" exactly, as I never got to make the trip, but you know what I mean.)
    Thank you for clarifying that, because you was messing with my brain...

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Not meaning to take this marvelous thread in any macabre directions, but -- the one thing that stirs me most is the thought that one day I will no longer be here for all the wonderful things going on in heaven and earth. I hate the thought of missing it all.
    Gary, sometimes I too got those thoughts going on my mind, but I have come to the conclusion that if we sometimes care to know how the pyramids were made, and if tere is life on Mars... then maybe one day we all will know the answer to those questions, whether on this lfe time or the next one... (if there is one...)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread