Amazon.co.uk - com- etc
    I have just signed up for Amazon. Not being too savvy on all this I appear to have signed up for Amazon.co.uk.

question is, do I have to have a separate account for Amazon.com as well??

will it ever appear less confusing when I get into all this?

ABW Ambassador
    If you plan on getting US traffic, you need to sign up for the US program. You can signup for both.

I need to do this myself, since I have one site where it looks like half my traffic is non-US and a lot of UK. I was reading about this plugin as well - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...ink-localizer/

That's if you're using Wordpress.
    Last edited by Trust; July 2nd, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    If you plan on getting US traffic, you need to sign up for the US program. You can signup for both.
    Thanks for the reply Trust, do I/can I, use the same login details or is it best to use different ones?

The majority of the FB page and the small traffic to the site seems to be US based.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post

I need to do this myself, since I have one site where it looks like half my traffic is non-US and a lot of UK. I was reading about this plugin as well - WordPress › Amazon Affiliate Link Localizer WordPress Plugins

That's if you're using Wordpress.
    Yes I am using Wordpress, thanks for that link!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleGirl View Post
    Thanks for the reply Trust, do I/can I, use the same login details or is it best to use different ones?

The majority of the FB page and the small traffic to the site seems to be US based.
    I'm not sure on that one, might be personal preference. Funny thing is my login for my Amazon Associates account is exactly the same as my regular Amazon account for shopping. You can try signing up for the new account and if you want the same login info, try it and see if it'll take.

"
    Yes I am using Wordpress, thanks for that link!
    "

I haven't tried that plugin yet but apparently you sign up for both the US and UK program and that plugin will direct the user based on their location, to the right Amazon site.
    Last edited by Trust; July 2nd, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

It sounds like a plugin I will try out, thanks for that.

signed up now for amazon.com, same details so that works. stuck on the payments bit now as no direct deposit outside US! and no cheques sent under $100. Why no Paypal?? grrr

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    TempleGirl Amazon is a great place to start as they have the largest product catalog and you get commissioned for everything added to the cart (read upsell). The downside is that you only get a session cookie so the sale has to be made same day and before they close the browser. Once you have established sales for particular brand you should find their direct program via affiliate networks.

No PayPal because (a) PayPal is owned by Ebay, a competitor and (b) enough people join in spite of the lack of a reasonable payment method for people not in the country, so why provide it?

Amazon is pretty worthless in countries outside of your main visitor set's location. Even if you offer the "closest" or "best choice" Amazon to each visitor, you'll find that you get few foreign sales. The exception would be a huge site with thousands of foreign visitors. If that's you, go for it. If not, there are probably better ways to spend your time.

Another consideration is that Amazon is not the store of choice outside the US, so - except for very unique circumstances - you won't find equal success with the other Amazons even if you have solid traffic for them.

I am US based and have accounts with Amazon Canada, UK and France. To date I haven't had a single sale in France, and have a big 6 poiunds in my UK account (where 25 is the minimum for payment). I have had the UK account for about 4 years. I used to get gift certificates from the Canada account (minimum is only $10 CDN, not 25 as with UK), but that has dropped to zero for 3 months straight.

I'd suggest that you take your Amazon.com payments in gift certificates. Even though you must pay for shipping, you'll find that for items like books and CDs, shipping is modest and the prices are usually lower than if you buy from the UK. So it won't cost you that much, even with the shipping charges. When I got gift certificates from Canada, I usually bought items that were published in Canada; thus, even with the shipping cost, the total wasn't that much more than the US price.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

Thanks for the tips Shuvee, I think I might have to go the gift cert route with the .com, can it be changed later if needed?

I think I might have to go the gift cert route with the .com, can it be changed later if needed?
    Yes, you can change it, but it must be changed by the first (whether they really mean "before", I don't know), to affect payments to be made at the end of that month.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread