View Poll Results: How should ABW keep track of unread posts? (description below in post #9)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cookie-based read marking

2 18.18%
  • Database-based read marking

6 54.55%
  • Cookies are delicious

4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Leave unread posts
    Unread posts reset every night.

Have to dig through daily posts to look for any posts I have NOT read.

Would like unread posts to remain until I click "mark all forums read" or actually read them. Miss a lot of posts this way.

Clear as mud?
    Last edited by Convergence; July 3rd, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

+1
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Agree, we have a laundry list of things getting updated and will add this one.

There is a challenge with implementing this.

The current solution in place here is called "cookie-based" read marking. It resets the unread marks after you go inactive for several hours (usually overnight). It is often inaccurate in that way in regards to what you have read and what you haven't, and it also causes several side effects which changes forum features that most users are used to.

For example, if you click on unread posts currently, you will see every thread in the order it has been updated - INCLUDING those which you have just posted in. Obviously that thread has already been read since you were the last one to post in it, but due to the "cookie-based" marking it still shows in that list.

The alternative is "database-based" read marking. It is always accurate. It will always reflect the exact number of posts you have not read, however it will never reset to 0 unless you go and click "mark forums read". Also, when you view unread posts, it will not list threads you have just posted in since they are in fact read.

Some people prefer "cookie-based", because everything works the way they are used to. We could give database-based marking a try, but some people may not like the change.

Now that I've explained the options, let me know what you want.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Add a Poll to the Thread?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

How about having an option to select all threads from past day / week? That way you can still scroll through older threads even if they are marked read? Right now, once threads are marked read, you have to go into each forum to see the most recent post. I can say that I almost never go into individual forums and only look at new posts. But I would scroll through older posts if given the option.

This function can be controlled from the user end; just click an option to "dig deeper":

CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

@gcarson: Davidh is correct about that

@davidh: Thanks

@Haiko: adding poll momentarily

If bookmarks are useful to you...

This is the bookmark to create to find threads with unread posts:
    www.abestweb.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew

This is the bookmark to create to find threads from the past 24 hours:
    ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum - Search Results

This is the bookmark to create to find threads from the past week:
    ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum - Search Results
    Matt Bidinger

Description of Poll Options:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
    2) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking. Forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
    3) Cookies are delicious

Notes:
    If we change the setting your current unread count will be lost, and all threads in the past 10 days will show as unread. After the setting is changed, I suggest you start fresh by going to "quicklinks>mark forums read", and the unread count will start over from zero.

With database marking, it will always reflect the exact number of posts you have not read, however it will never reset to 0 unless you go and click "mark forums read". With cookie-based marking, after a few hours of inactivity (or when you sleep), your unread thread count is automatically set to 0.
    Matt Bidinger

Duhh @ me. Sorry, I must have missed it all this time!

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Description of Poll Options:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
    2) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking. Forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
    3) Cookies are delicious

Notes:
    If we change the setting your current unread count will be lost, and all threads in the past 10 days will show as unread. After the setting is changed, I suggest you start fresh by going to "quicklinks>mark forums read", and the unread count will start over from zero.

With database marking, it will always reflect the exact number of posts you have not read, however it will never reset to 0 unless you go and click "mark forums read". With cookie-based marking, after a few hours of inactivity (or when you sleep), your unread thread count is automatically set to 0.
    Change my vote from option 1 to option 2...

Done, thanks.
    Matt Bidinger

13. Thanks From:

Flipping the switch to turn on database read marking:

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. Forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Notes:
    If we change the setting your current unread count may be lost, and all threads in the past 10 days may show as unread. After the setting is changed, I suggest you start fresh by going to "quicklinks>mark forums read", and the unread count will start over from zero.

With database marking, it will always reflect the exact number of posts you have not read, however it will never reset to 0 unless you go and click "mark forums read". With cookie-based marking, after a few hours of inactivity (or when you sleep), your unread thread count is automatically reset.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; July 18th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Matt Bidinger

ABW Ambassador
    Ugh, don't think I like this new setup. I just replied to a post and poof it was gone. Had to click Daily for it to show up. Same with this post, I usually click the Unread posts link at the top. I'll just use Quick Links - Today's Posts.

Don't think Gary likes it either - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1090709-post6.html

What was wrong with the setup we had for the first 10 years?

Also I noticed when you logout the Unread Posts link (when you're signed in) turns into the
    164 New Posts Today. I wish I had that, the way it was, when I'm signed in as well. It's all right there, not vanishing.
    Last edited by Trust; July 18th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Also wanted to point out the 2 main domain forums:

NamePros - Buy, Sell, Discuss Domain Names - New Posts link at the top

Welcome to DNF.com - Today's Posts link at the top

Kind of standard with forums, the way it was at ABW for most of it's existence, the way it is at ABW when you sign out. 2 years of good luck will follow if you put it back.

Will throw in a bonus forum, one I read everyday:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/

Bonus Bonus Day, going to have to hit close to home:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/

Today's Posts link.

It's standard. Other forums are going to make fun of us, take us back into the light.
    Last edited by Trust; July 18th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Have to point out one more thing, the poll is screwed up:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/abest...ow-post-9.html

It says:

But it's actually
    3 - Convergence, Haiko de Poel, Jr., kaizen
    3 - CCBerries, Chuck Hamrick, I.M.O.G.
    4 - I.M.O.G., markwelch, PDXreader, Trust

And I'd like to change my vote from Cookies are delicious back to whatever category puts it back to the way it was, the correct way. I think that would then make it the winning vote

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Change my vote from option 1 to option 2...
    I actually changed my vote...

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Ugh, don't think I like this new setup. I just replied to a post and poof it was gone. Had to click Daily for it to show up. Same with this post, I usually click the Unread posts link at the top. I'll just use Quick Links - Today's Posts.

Don't think Gary likes it either - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1090709-post6.html

What was wrong with the setup we had for the first 10 years?

Also I noticed when you logout the Unread Posts link (when you're signed in) turns into the
    164 New Posts Today. I wish I had that, the way it was, when I'm signed in as well. It's all right there, not vanishing.
    What was wrong? Exactly what convergance started this thread about. I personally have no preference about what we do... However I would request that you sleep on it and give it a moment to adjust. 99% of the population has a kneejerk negative reaction to any change - even if its good.

I get all of this, except for the last 3 sentences. When logged in, the number of new posts has always been however many posts since the last time your session timed out (or 24 hours), minus however many posts you have read. When logged out, it has always been the number of posts total in the past 24 hours. The unread posts count actually didn't change any for me when I flipped the setting - I thought it would.

The results you are used to when clicking unread posts has been restored. (You don't have to go looking for your last post in Quicklinks>today's posts) (it functions identically to overclockers forums now, because my members there threw a fit about not being able to read their own posts in the unread posts link)
    Matt Bidinger

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    The results you are used to when clicking unread posts has been restored. (You don't have to go looking for your last post in Quicklinks>today's posts)
    Now I'm confused.

So what happens in about an hour or so? Do all of "today's" posts, read or otherwise, disappear out of view and the "unread" posts from that point forward are the only ones on the page?

ABW Ambassador
    "99% of the population has a kneejerk negative reaction to any change - even if its good."

It's not a knee jerk reaction, it's messing with something that was never broken. I just gave you examples of other forums, one of them being your own.

And the poll is still screwed up as well.

"The results you are used to when clicking unread posts has been restored."

Alright, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Now I'm confused.

So what happens in about an hour or so? Do all of "today's" posts, read or otherwise, disappear out of view and the "unread" posts from that point forward are the only ones on the page?
    No, it goes back to the way it's always been. Everything shows up, a Today's Posts kind of deal.
    Last edited by Trust; July 18th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Have to point out one more thing, the poll is screwed up:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/abest...ow-post-9.html

It says:

But it's actually
    3 - Convergence, Haiko de Poel, Jr., kaizen
    3 - CCBerries, Chuck Hamrick, I.M.O.G.
    4 - I.M.O.G., markwelch, PDXreader, Trust

And I'd like to change my vote from Cookies are delicious back to whatever category puts it back to the way it was, the correct way. I think that would then make it the winning vote
    Just curious as to who all my vote is visible to. I know that I can't see anyone else's selection.

ABW Ambassador
    Click on the number.

Actually - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/abest...ow-post-9.html

I just opened up Chrome, where I'm not signed in and can see everybody's votes.

@Convergence: No, in an hour or so you'll get about the same results you do right now. Plus whatever anyone posts in the next hour, minus whatever anyone posted in that timeframe last night.

So effectively, the unread posts link works the same now as it always did... Because people like Trust don't like it being different (different than the past here, and different from the defaults on most every other forum you visit), and they are the majority.

However, what you wanted and what wasn't possible before the change, is the new posts link on the search results page, or under quicklinks, or which you can bookmark:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    abw-new.JPG

Using that link, you can actually get a list of every post you haven't read. That was impossible previously because a cookie can't store it accurately, so things were automatically marked read before after a variable amount of time.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; July 18th, 2011 at 11:50 PM.
    Matt Bidinger

Click on the number.

Actually - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/abest...ow-post-9.html

I just opened up Chrome, where I'm not signed in and can see everybody's votes.
    Ah, thanks for that. Learn something new every day.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Ah, thanks for that. Learn something new every day.
    When you make a poll, it can be public or private. If it was private, you wouldn't be able to see who voted for what. Like the Best Of ABW polls we have every year and probably most polls. Looks like this was just a public one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast