ABW Ambassador
    To Finally Decide What Each Forum Is For
    To finally decide what each forum is for to alleviate continuing confusion

Midnight Cafe

ABestWeb Virtual Family

Affiliate Industry Insights

We have former admins and current admins putting stuff in the wrong place, stuff in the Midnight Forum that should be in Virtual Family

I've never liked the Affiliate Industry Insights Forum because I think it confused people. My past suggestion was just to clear up existing forums. Like the Midnight Cafe was general affiliate marketing stuff that didn't fit anywhere else. That was kind of the main discussion forum here.

ABestWeb Virtual Family (1 Viewing)
    This is for non-affiliate marketing posts, like birthday wishes, general discussions, etc. Think of it as a virtual water cooler.

Chuck, you posted Independence Day plans in the Midnight Forum, should have went here.

Haiko, you posted stuff about stars in the Midnight Forum, has nothing to do with affiliate marketing. That's off topic, Virtual Family forum.

I like the old way, just think it needed to fine tuned. If you like the new way better, up to you guys.

But just clear it up once and for all. Forums shouldn't be setup where people don't know where to post stuff.

And what is Featured for again? I see those all over the place on topics that in the past was a regular affiliate marketing topic. We have featured stickies -

Sticky: Featured: Merchants Terminating CA Affiliates

Is a featured sticky mean it's extra sticky?

It seems like, will remix Mike's phrase, tricks for posts, where you added all kinds of things to get the convo going but added confusion instead.

What you have admins (plural) not knowing where to post stuff, that says it all. It's a mess right now.
    Last edited by Trust; July 3rd, 2011 at 02:35 PM.

2. Thanks From:

There should only be one off topic forum. Anything not directly related to affiliate marketing goes there. Also, in my opinion, it should be opt-in only. That way people that couldn't care less about a quasar 14 trillion miles away (sorry Haiko) don't have to see it at the top of their unread posts. They will only see what they've come here for.

Maybe have fewer forums and use tagging to group items? for example, tag a thread with "SEO" instead of having a special forum for that...

just an idea to hopefully spawn better ones

5. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    There should only be one off topic forum. Anything not directly related to affiliate marketing goes there. Also, in my opinion, it should be opt-in only. That way people that couldn't care less about a quasar 14 trillion miles away (sorry Haiko) don't have to see it at the top of their unread posts. They will only see what they've come here for.
    "There should only be one off topic forum."

Yes, that's Virtual Family.

The rest tho is hard because people come here and want to see different stuff. You might not want to see stuff from other countries, Sports Forum, happy birthday, off topic stuff etc. We had the political/current events forum which was quite active but a lot of people got tired of seeing that, so in that case it was done like you suggested, made opt in.

I'm not sure if you could set it up like this but if you had a list of forums where you could check off what forums you want to see in your New Posts.

Midnight Forum x
    Virtual Family
    CJ x
    LS x

Or the opposite, check off forums you don't want to see, opt out.

etc That would be kind of cool if you can do that. Not sure if forums have that functionality or if in general forum owners want it available.
    Last edited by Trust; July 3rd, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Trust, ABestWeb Virtual Family was set to a private forum! Don't know why and working to get it back to public. For the interim we are using Midnight Cafe. Midnight Cafe was pushed down in the stack and should be the #1 forum.

Affiliate Industry Insights was an experiment on posting information pertinent to AM that originates off ABW. We will get to that later and have not set up policies on how to post the information.

And what is Featured for again?
    Featured has two functions, to show up in the Featured thread list and to be shown on the Home page. We will get to that later and have not set up policies on how to post the information.

Stickies are being revised so it may get sticky for a while!

Maybe have fewer forums and use tagging to group items? for example, tag a thread with "SEO" instead of having a special forum for that...
    That's the plan and iNet has some great examples from other forums we are looking at.

Please be patient but keep your suggestions coming. Best way to get quick action is to use the reported posts feature which goes to all admins and mods.

ABW Ambassador
    "Trust, ABestWeb Virtual Family was set to a private forum! Don't know why and working to get it back to public."

That I kind of understood. It was setup that way so this place wouldn't get traffic for non affiliate marketing stuff. In the past I've asked what's the Best Shredder. So maybe this place was getting traffic for best shredder. Now having said that, it hasn't been private for like the first 8 years or so, so I never thought it was really an issue anyway. And I like it back the way it was. The other day I was looking for something in that forum and had to login to do it.

But even set to Private or whatever it is now, you can still post Off Topic stuff in there right?
    Last edited by Trust; July 3rd, 2011 at 03:40 PM.

But even set to Private or whatever it is now, you can still post Off Topic stuff in there right?
    Yes and looks like it gets recorded in the New Posts but not viewable unless logged in so only viewable to members.

I would think we could put all 3 into 1 really. There's only 25 threads in Virtual family since the 3rd week of April. Just a thought, but really the number of total forums is out of control. More condensing could help get better "critical mass" for more discussion... Not many people are too hot in starting threads in areas that haven't had a post for 6 months.

Affiliate Industry Insights:
    In theory, the Affiliate Industry Insights forum was something interesting, discussed and supported by much of ABW staff. In reality, the implementation and clarity of purpose didn't turn out like what we had discussed. I still believe in the priority it was based on, but the way it was done was not conducive to achieving the goal we set out for. Time to scrap it and re-evaluate.

Midnight Cafe and Virtual Family:
    Looking at how virtual family and midnight cafe have been used for a long time, they seem almost the same - Virtual Family is more straight-edge casual stuff, but midnight cafe keeps a decent mix of affiliate related, or slightly affiliate related. More importantly to me, Midnight Cafe is where everyone is anyways when they aren't clobbering the unread posts link. Do you gain anything by splitting the two?

Just .02...
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

ABW Ambassador
    The way it was for the first 9+ years was fine. The setup was basic forum architecture. Every forum I've been to has an Intro Forum, some General Discussion Forum and an Off Topic Forum. I know you want to cut down on unneeded forums but that isn't one of them, you would actually make things even more confusing because some people don't want to read the Off Topic Stuff.

Midnight Cafe - general discussion

Virtual Family - off topic discussion

Affiliate Industry Insights - you said you were going to kill that forum, that's good. Just migrate those threads to the Midnight Cafe and you can still Feature threads you feel are important.

And when you see people posting stuff in the wrong forum, like the Space Shuttle thread, which has nothing to do with affiliates marketing, I would just move it to the correct forum.

12. Thanks From:

The name Virtual Family is why members don't know what its really for. Change the name of that forum to Off Topic Forum and there would be no doubt about what that forum is for.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

14. Thanks From:

The Virtual Family forum was supposed to be like a version of InnerCircle for people who were nowhere near getting into InnerCircle and it was semiprivate so personal stuff would not get indexed.

Trust is right, the shuttle thread had reason for being posted in the cafe. I like Burger Boy's idea but think we need to keep the personal aspect so how about renaming it to:

Virtual family and Off Topic discussions

Originally, when I set up the forum structure, the VF forum was for stuff you'd now post on FB and or want to discuss in generality. So it might be an idea to merge in the photo gallery as well.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

This is all done. If you see things posted in the wrong area, if you report them it does help us out... The more consistent we are in keeping things in the right area, the easier it is for members to look and see where things belong.
    Matt Bidinger

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    This is all done. If you see things posted in the wrong area, if you report them it does help us out... The more consistent we are in keeping things in the right area, the easier it is for members to look and see where things belong.
    How should things be reported?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Top right of any post,

That's the best way. If you can, it is also helpful if you note its in the wrong area, and where you think it belongs.
    Matt Bidinger

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Thanks, wasn't sure because when clicked says: Use to report spam, mean people, problem posts sort of thing.

So, if that's ok to report other things as well - that's great...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Thanks. That's default vbulletin software language for the report post function. I will update it.
    Matt Bidinger

22. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    To finally decide what each forum is for to alleviate continuing confusion.
    Trust,

Like your old user name used to be: Trust#1, I thought that you already new the answer to that question...

Isn't each forum made for maximation of SEM profit?

Isn't the more post anywhere (here), the more $............. at the end?

Sal,

The profit in this forum comes from merchants advertising to and for affiliates. What ever SEM here is to attract new members or merchants. Getting traffic for anything else here is useless for everyone. I'm not sure if that's what you were saying, but it's an answer to what I understood you said. If I didn't address what you said correctly then please repost.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    Getting traffic for anything else here is useless for everyone.
    I may be just an atheist Capricorn, but... when the is abut to ...

(By 8/01/11)...

The more traffic on the highway, the more gas you can sell....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Trust,

Like your old user name used to be: Trust#1, I thought that you already new the answer to that question...

Isn't each forum made for maximation of SEM profit?

Isn't the more post anywhere (here), the more $............. at the end?
    Traffic isn't part of my goals. Neither is profit. I mean job description goals... so its not something I pay attention to. If inet makes a million or a Buck, I get paid the same. Traffic growth has been strong the past year tho, just not something that matters to me.

The admin change, and everything else I am responsible for, is targeted for long term security of communities. If forum posts are shrinking by 5% each quarter, will the world end next year? Nah. Definitely something to pay attention to and understand tho. How long can that go on? Is the membership happy? Are people getting what they want in the big picture? If forum posts drop by 20% in a quarter, or in multiple quarters, that would be really alarming... no site does that normally, means something big is going on.

So basically, all sites in the inet umbrella have a long term outlook. If post activity is growing by 1% each quarter on an established forum, that is a really positive indication that things are healthy. If it shrinks a bit, industries change, there's seasonality, not a big deal if it is moderate and everything on the site is operating smoothly. But things should be in place to be sure you are supporting the community interests well as you have in the past. These aren't just numbers, we are talking vital signs. It reflects satisfaction, and members being happy (getting what they want) when they come to your site.

So looking at subforum arrangement, if it helps people talk about stuff more easily as well as find what they are looking for, that is what matters. At the end of the day, there is nothing more important to a community than activity - that is life or death long term. Revenue or the bottom line? Just numbers. If the community activity is growing, that stuff can work itself out.

Profit is your good looks - might not like going bald, but it wont kill you. Community is your health - if you don't take care of it, you are dead.
    Matt Bidinger

How do you view the forum as in where is your bookmark? I feel we should condense the forums to cut down on the shear number then reorder them for the members benefit. I have my bookmark for the forum view then click on the Unread Posts since there is no way to bookmark them. I also like having the forums stratified so I can see there is action in the top forums. What order should they put in?

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    What ever SEM here is to attract new members or merchants. Getting traffic for anything else here is useless for everyone.
    If you really believe that, you might want to consider why the previous Administrator made some of the off-topic forums private that attracted the most off topic spammers, non-AM (affiliate marketing) members, and non-AM posts from newbies before you propose to make them public again.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Not sure how this fits in, but folks inadvertently start posting to old threads (example) and the newbies join in. Maybe threads like this should be closed after some time period?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

JoyUnltd, Michael implemented a notice on old threads, where people have to check a box confirming they are aware how old the thread is prior to them posting in it... So that is a step towards discouraging "thread necromancy".

To ensure something is considered by the mods, anyone is welcome to use the report post button above a post if they think the post or thread needs reviewed.

Your example thread was allowed to slide, I think mainly because its in Virtual Family and is a birth announcement. Sometimes new members are just getting familiar with posting to a forum, so cutting some slack in threads like that may not hurt, as a few of those members that posted when they were new have gone on to contribute in other areas of the site.

Personally, I try to cut newbies some slack whenever somewhat reasonable... Remembering when I joined my first forum, it was a lot to get a handle on and figure out my bearings with getting comfortable with posting and asking questions.
    Matt Bidinger

31. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread