ABW Ambassador
    Hello from the Google AdWords Team:

In January 2005, Google will incorporate a new affiliate advertising policy that is designed to provide a better user and advertiser experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is changing:

With this new affiliate policy, we'll only display one ad per search query for affiliates and parent companies sharing the same URL. This way, users will have a more diverse sampling of advertisements to choose from. As always, your ad will be displayed based on its Ad Rank for given searches, which is determined by a combination of your ad's maximum cost-per-click (price) and clickthrough rate (performance).

For instance, if a user searches for books on Google.com or anywhere on the Google search and content networks, Google will take an inventory of ads running for the keyword books. If we find that two or more ads compete under the same URL, we'll display the ad with the highest Ad Rank.

How this will affect you:

If you're an affiliate, this means that you no longer need to identify yourself as an affiliate in your ad text. However, your current ad text will continue to display your affiliate status until you change it.

Affiliates or advertisers using unique URLs in their ads will not be affected by this change. Please note that your Display URL must match the URL of your landing page, and you may not simply frame another site.

What you should do:

We recommend that you continue to monitor your ads' performance and optimize your ads as needed to ensure they're bringing you the best results. Please visit our Optimization Tips page for more information.

By improving our ad relevancy, we believe that users will have a better search experience, which will help you reach more potential clients in the future. We'll continue to make improvements to AdWords over time to further improve the user experience and help increase the performance of your ads.

We look forward to continue providing you with the most effective advertising available.

Sincerely,
    The Google AdWords Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: As a business Google must make decisions regarding the advertising we accept. As stated in our Terms and Conditions, we reserve the right to exercise editorial discretion when reviewing AdWords ads created within the program. This only concerns our advertising and in no way affects the search results we deliver. Google offers broad access to content across the web without censoring results.

ABW Ambassador
    Google finaly see's what poon was saying a good while back (or as trust would say - see I told you LOL)

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...805#1616005805

The kicker is that Its still off a bit being url based. To get around this, all you have to do is have six campaigns all using the same keywords ubt with six different urls.

I also remember my ppc ad for coldwater creek on page 2 after 10 other affiliates saying "what not another coldwatercreek ad!" now it wont be 10 ad's going to the home page - it'll be 10- ad's going to the home page and various departments "woith a different url" that shows up in the bidding.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this but I doubt it and oif it does happen, it will still suck from a consumers view point. Come-on google, get it right!

ABW Ambassador
    I encourage everybody to read the above linked thread.

ABW Ambassador
    >Come-on google, get it right!

WG and others have said for years that G just can't do it......

IT IS A MYTH

I can see that this is going to adversely impact affiliates who only do PPC bidding direct to the merchant, but "choice" is the key thing here - visitor's don't want to see 10 or so identical ads, they want to see a set of *different* ads. Doing this will help retain the value of the AdWords system.

However, this looks to me to be a *technical* fix rather than a broad policy-based fix. It seems to me that it might be easily fooled if you can somehow coax a unique URL out of this. For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../myaffiliateid

Actually generates a unique ID on the Amazon side:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068QHM/ref%3Dnosim/myaffiliateid/[unique-session-number]

There are potentially lots of ways that a clever merchant could develop unique URLs on the landing page for each affiliate as a technical workaround.

But.. y'know I haven't seen this is action yet, so I'm just speculating based on the email.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    I may be wrong, but, I think Google probably means the url that is displayed in the advertisement. Thus, if there are two or ads that lead to the domain www.amazon.com (for a book search, for example), all the ads but the one with the highest AdRank are likely to get nixed - even if those other ads lead to different pages on Amazon's site.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is Google's intention. The email they sent out, though, isn't very clear about this at all.

Be interesting to see if they clarify this a bit more.

What are they not clear on? They don't want all the ads going to the same merchant. Send the link to your site first and there will be no problem. Try to find silly ways to get around the rules and the rules will just change. Those of you who have no web sites will need to get busy.

Jane,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we'll only display one ad per search query for affiliates and parent companies sharing the same URL. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It says URL and *not* domain. And here too..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If we find that two or more ads compete under the same URL.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This makes me think that they've put in a workaround to the issue. Personally, I always land the visitor on my own site first, but I'm mentioning this because be a bodgearound for those who need it.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

what I'm seeing it there is a "more" link below the ads... where all those missing ads are...

I can imagine google letting all that money get away... after all they still decide how you're doing an can turn you off if you are underpreforming...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

It also says that they want to improve ad relevancy. So if they wind up with a bunch of different URL's that go the same merchant what do you think will happen? My guess would be they will change the rules. In the long run it is better to look at the purpose of the change rather than find ways around it. Next thing you know they will just not allow affiliate ads at all.

I think you're right Jane. I've never been a fan of putting qksrv links or whatever into AdWords ads, but I don't think they'll ban affiliate ads because it's not in Google's financial interest to do so.

This move protects the relevancy of the AdWords results, so it basically makes them less spammy. It's the same sort of thing they do with the main SERPs when they update the algorithm.

However, some affiliates will need to look at short-term workarounds I guess. I suspect though that the majority of ABWers run their own sites anyway.

I think this is a good move for serious affiliates and gets rid of the spammy ads. I'm sure people will find ways round the new rules in the medium term though. I suppose thare will be a surge of how to beat the system and make $1,000,000 ebooks.

For those of you who have been using urls direct to a merchant you may be interested to know that I have tested direct urls to a merchant and url to my site before going to a merchant.

I found that if I presold the product on my own url 1st I had a better conversion rate than a direct url to the merchant.

R

The "more" link is a useful one, especially if you actually want to buy stuff

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My suggestions for several years was for the good AM's to not pass out spam food or desire to panel the SERPs and PPCSE's with duplicate links. Get back to work sucking up to real value-ad affiliates not traffic tricksters. make pages that convert and force affiliates to get web sites that showcase these pages. Get you own one link per keyword in the PPCSE's and drive more focused shoppers through their page creatives.

The days of free, or hired gun spammers, is coming to an end. Learn the meaning of my 2 year old tag line and you'll do just fine. Heck the recent and coming forced changes makes me want to actually build out a site for other then testing merchnats.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I found that if I presold the product on my own url 1st I had a better conversion rate than a direct url to the merchant.~Richard C
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, me too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>not pass out spam food or desire to panel the SERPs and PPCSE's with duplicate links. ~A Parrot Squawking <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I ran an affiliate program, I would be highly disappointed if it did NOT result in the total panelization of the SERPs. People can't shop at competitors that they can't find

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> make pages that convert and force affiliates to get web sites that showcase these pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This concept is not hostile to the concept of panelization. In fact, it's rather complementary: A panel of well-written ads, all aiming at ME...

Those who don't have that competitive drive shouldn't be in business anyway!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread