Forgive me if this is not the right place to pose this question.. but it did seem like a hangout with lots of knowledgeable folks... so I thought I'd give it a try...

And it is, I am sure, one of those "dumb questions"... but for some reason I often miss the obvious...

I am completely re-doing my affiliate site and am now using a Dell Notebook with a 13" wide screen. So when I make a page it looks great here.... but when I upload it and look at it on a friends "normal" width screen, it shows up with a scroll bar across the bottom.... which is not good of course.

How can I be sure that the page I make here... will NOT end up wider than a normal PC page.

I have tried screwing around with the screen resolution and all.. but to no avail.

Any suggestions will be well appreciated.

Tom

There's a couple different ways to do this, CSS if you're using it and a table. Most of my sites use tables, I have a table that's used as a container for the page's content and this table is set at 740 pixels in width. I aim to make my pages look good at 800x600 resolution and up, so the table width is 740 to allow for some variance-like scrollbars etc. Hope this answers your question.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Internet Cowboy
    Set the resolution on your laptop screen to 800x600 and then make your pages.
    If your friend is using a resolution setting less than 800x600, then your friend is in the very small minority.
    I wish all 800x600 res. monitors would die so the norm would be 1024x768. This allows SO much more room.

ABW Ambassador
    Tom,

The best way to do it is not to set the tables in pixels but to use 100%. Then have all column in percentages also. This will give you full screen on any monitor regardless of size without the scrollbar.

Bob

To expand on what bob95603 said. I use a table set at 98% and put all visible page content, nested tables et... inside this table. So no matter what resolution the visitor is using the web page should always take up 98% of their browser window.

I do not set my columns to a percentage but set the side columns for the largest width of content that will be in them. and let the main or center column expand and contract according to the visitors screen resolution.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I have taken - and used - it all.

My problem was twofold... percentages and widths.

I was - in most cases - using a % for the body widths, but my mistake often was that I had pictures in the body - and the total width of the pictures plus the fixed left and right columns - exceeded 800 pixels. So no matter what % I used, the fixed width of the pictures and columns was what was giving me the real problem.

I appreciate everyone's help and quick response. I hope that one day I too can provide help to another newbie..

Thanks again.

Tom

I just found a great little program that sets a given window to an exact size in pixels.

It's very useful for web developers who want to see what their site will look like at various screen resolutions.

Best of all it's free... take a look! (I have no affiliation with this site or developer, just a happy user)

http://www.mlin.net/misc.shtml

Last item on the bottom of the page calle
    WindowSizer

[color=black][b]Tom[/b][/color]
    [size=1][b][color=Blue][i]“Laughter is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one place.” [/i][/color][/b][/size][color=Gray][size=1]
    [/size][/color]

Good habit = Always leave the "rulers" - on

And - thanks for the link.

Fred

Actually you can just paste this in the address bar

Code:
    javascript:window.resizeTo(800,600)
    Change 800,600 to whatever size. I keep the above as a bookmark so I can easily get to it.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread