Smile Starting an Affiliate program
    Hi...i have been reading posts non stop on this forum the last two days and then finally decided will post my questions...

I represent a merchant from and the nature of our business is such that we only cater to the local Indian market.

Now ....we are toying with setting up an affiliate program....and are looking at all options

Network vs standalone s/w. Whilst I gather that the overwhelming majority here, is in favor of the established networks.... I suspect that the large majority of affiliates in networks are focused on other markets.... does anyone have an idea - how many affiliates an SAS or CJ, may have, that are focused on the Indian market? .... I suspect not too many as there aren't too many merchants and affiliate programs here...

The second question is how do i recruit affiliates either ways? Have reached out to publishers relevant to my domain and sure enough barring one person, all the others had to be explain about affiliate marketing (and that is when i am a complete newbie at this myself).....all suggestions are welcome...

Lastly we plan on a cost per sale model....can someone point me toward what we need to know/control in terms of possible fraud...

aside from the above all suggestion are very welcome

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi,

First I'm going to disagree about affiliate marketing in India. There are a lot of Indian firms running affiliate programs, both for local sales and global targeting. There are also at least three networks in India targeting the domestic market.

The key issue we've seen with the networks is that they are lead gen focused or dominated by matrimonial sites.

Very few affiliates on SAS/CJ focus on the Indian market, I'd say close to zero. There are a lot of Indian affiliates on SAS/CJ and Co. But they are there because they can get better commissions and more money from marketing US firms than they can from marketing Indian firms.

In order to target and attract Indian affiliates you need to have an offer that is competitive compared to the US offers, if not on commission, then on the quality of support you can offer the affiliates. There are a growing number of events in India for affiliates, and you may want to consider setting up some local pub / diner events to attract people from various areas of marketing.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hi Chris....thank you for responding and you have certainly summed up the situation correctly....

Given that, what little we have here, is focused on the matrimonial and perhaps travel segment (we are in automobiles) and all the benefits that accrue from a being part of a large "network" are close to zero because there aren't enough India focused affiliates in their ranks....perhaps the only option is to do an in-house program...

Incidently, there are a couple of networks here too.....but again given the sort of response I have got talking to them....I feel we will perhaos be better off on our own with an in-house program... (once again would appreciate if anyone with first hand experience shares what they think)

If we do decide to do this in-house what script would you recommend - I have looked at idev6....how would you rate it ? Are there any known bugs / problems with the same ?.....how is their support?....any help would be appreciated...

When you say commissions should be competitive...could you throw some figures?....also is a comparison really practical.....given that the same affiliate cannot (or so i think) cater to two very different audiences and thus as a merchant i donot compete with that affiliates mindshare....

Lastly thanx for the tip of building relationships....i guess that is the best course of action...sometime i wonder ...given the level of competition elsewhere in this space....the market in India is just lying open to be exploited !

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

I really couldn't say what is going to be competitive as I have no idea what you sell within the auto vertical and have not researched the vertical in the US, something you should certainly do before launching in order to get an idea of what you'll need to be doing in order to tempt local affiliates to sign up rather than focus on the US market.

I've had limited joy with Indian networks, generally not getting follow ups on emails is the main issue, or getting no replies once I ask questions about functions. The basic belief seems to be "take it or leave it and don't ask any questions".

Software wise, really depends on your needs. You need to review what you want the affiliate program to do (tool wise) against the functions of the available options.

But I would suggest looking at

All Affiliate Pro
    Affiliate Wiz
    iDev Affiliate
    Click Inc

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; July 6th, 2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: dupe text
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    PS1234, are marketing to Indians living in India or the US?

An in-house versus network, IMHO in-house is 10x more difficult to recruit to just because you are unknown. Big affiliates have a comfort zone with networks which they have worked with for years.

The best way to test a network is to ask questions beyond the sales rep to see if they will respond in a timely manner. If it takes several days to get an answer then I would suspect the same once you have launched your program. Ask something specific like do you have a procedure for integrating our [brand] shopping cart. What about the datafeed?

Thanx Chris....thanx once again...on the money...I cant get the "networks" here to call back and clarify simple things...dont instill any confidence....will look at the scripts you suggested

@ Chuck....thanx for responding.....we are only looking at people in india (target audience)....and publishers and affiliates who work in this market only..

I understand that its far more difficult going in-house, but I don't think I have much of a choice... As Chris said earlier (and that is what I see in my limited experience)....there aren't too many India based affiliates/merchants that work primarily/exclusively in the Indian market with the exception of the travel/matrimonial segment....

Hi guys,

We're just getting started in affiliate marketing.

Here's my question: does it make sense to do a roll out through affiliates with mailing lists while we develop our site and marketing collateral?

We have a hard deliverable, 8 DVD's and a workbook as opposed to a digital product and it's done very well with our internal list which is why we're working on creating an affiliate program.

Any thoughts would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Tony, the retail networks have email marketers but they are not easy to identify. Would recommend that you talk with email specific networks like Media Trust and Datran.

thank you
    Thank you,

I will check out both immediately ...

In-House vs. Network
    I have a good amount of experience with in-house affiliate programs; much of it is about knowing the right affiliates and making sure that your product is lucrative enough to attract more. I dont however know much about joining a network.

Does anyone have information as to how they would compare running an in-house affiliate program vs. joining a network for an industry like mine...ticket (sports, concert, theater) sales? I'm interested in how long the integration process would be with a network, and how long it typically takes to start seeing results. Also, do you know anyone that does a combination of network and in-house for the same product?

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by cjmcd View Post
    I have a good amount of experience with in-house affiliate programs; much of it is about knowing the right affiliates and making sure that your product is lucrative enough to attract more. I dont however know much about joining a network.

Does anyone have information as to how they would compare running an in-house affiliate program vs. joining a network for an industry like mine...ticket (sports, concert, theater) sales? I'm interested in how long the integration process would be with a network, and how long it typically takes to start seeing results. Also, do you know anyone that does a combination of network and in-house for the same product?

Cheers...
    An in-house program can make sense if you have the brand recognition to get noticed and if you have the time and money to quickly get the word out. One major benefit to a network is they already have affiliates logging in regularly so you get exposure much quicker. There's also a level of trust that comes with the network but you would have to build that up yourself with an indy.

How long it takes to integrate depends largely on your time. We typically allowed 3-4 weeks to get setup and this mainly depended on the merchant's time availability. You can see results quickly but this too depends on your time and effort. It can be a week or months.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice View Post
    An in-house program can make sense if you have the brand recognition to get noticed and if you have the time and money to quickly get the word out. One major benefit to a network is they already have affiliates logging in regularly so you get exposure much quicker. There's also a level of trust that comes with the network but you would have to build that up yourself with an indy.

How long it takes to integrate depends largely on your time. We typically allowed 3-4 weeks to get setup and this mainly depended on the merchant's time availability. You can see results quickly but this too depends on your time and effort. It can be a week or months.
    Thanks Greg! I guess the next question would be what is typically the percentage sacrifice that would be expected by joining a network? Typically in my industry, an affiliate would earn somewhere around 10% of the total sales price of a ticket order in dealing with an in-house program. That may seem low, but taking into account that a) ticket orders can go for hundreds-thousands of dollars b) as a broker, we are only earning money off of the markup, not the entire price of the ticket, the 10% affiliate commission on total sale price is quite good.

Also, have you any knowledge of people running both an in-house and network programs?

Thanks!!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread