My site goes Up Down in serps
    Hello,
    my website (ette dot it), an italian price comparison site, is really jumping up/down in google serps.. from 1000 unique to 200 than 1500 than 300 and so on.. This has happened day by day on whole June.
    Could you please have a look and tell me one or two magic tips ;-) Of course I'm just joking.. Seo it's not an easy task this days.. but if you have just some suggestion or see some evident seo errors in my website, I would be happy to hear it and try what you suggest.

Sorry for my English.. I'm italian ;-)

Thank you,

Can you provide a link?
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

I thought it was not permitted.. http://www.ette.it
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; July 6th, 2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: noparsed URL

Thanks! The rules are fairly strict on linking, so its good to be on the safe side. I went ahead and unlinked the URL.

I asked for you to provide it because when I manually typed it your page wasn't loading, so I wasn't sure if I got it right. It's working fine now however, I'll let you know if there's anything I notice which may help.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Have you looked at your logs to see if it is the same keywords that are going up and down or it is the traffic in general?

Quote Originally Posted by MicheleH View Post
    Have you looked at your logs to see if it is the same keywords that are going up and down or it is the traffic in general?
    Hi MicheleH, thank you for your question. It's seems a long tail matter. For example let's see what's happened on 27 and 27 June:

Visitors:
    google (organic)
    28/giu/2011 87
    27/giu/2011 469

google.it (referral)
    28/giu/2011 123
    27/giu/2011 343

Regarding keywords I can't show stats because of the number of keys involved.. when I have traffic, I get a few (1,2) visit from a lot of keys.. mainly two/three or even four words keywords.
    Attached please fund a pdf with first 100 queries analisys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess I should explain a bit more...the phrases that send you the most traffic, are they moving up and down in the SERPs or are they getting different amounts of traffic each day?

It looks like your site would be greatly influenced by what other people are talking about and what's a hot topic any given day. For example, I had a site experience a huge surge of traffic for 4-5 days for one term. It was a term that I ranked in the top three for but normally had very few searches each month. For some reason, I never discovered, it suddenly became a hot phrase. Sadly, it did not remain a hot term for long, but it was nice while it did.

I also have a few sites where I see keyword phrases go up and down in the rankings as people post new blog entries. Google seems to index new blog entries unfairly high in the SERPs when they are first published. The blog entries often fall in the results once they are no longer new and my traffic for that phrase goes back to "normal." You might be seeing something similar.

I'm not sure your PDF alone will provide the answer and you might want to pull the link as it's not a good idea to make your successful keywords available to the world and potential competitors.

8. Thanks From:

Dynamic data sites are weird because your keyword density will flucuate with each feed update. Page rank trickles down to inner pages. The deeper the page, the lower the ranking benefit. So what happens when your important keywords or keyword density moves from the home page to page 2 or 3?

Also, consider the affects of broken HTML. Do you protect your website from poorly formed HTML in datafeeds? Have you run the W3C html validator on your website? Sometimes browsers handle broken html better than spiders. I had some unbalanced tags on my site recently. When I fixed them, my rankings improved.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

10. Thanks From:

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Changes in rankings should not really be that concerning to website owners for many reasons: personalized search, geolocation, different data centers, universal search, etc. Pages fluctuate all the time.

More important is traffic. Is your traffic changing on par with your perceived rankings (it seems it is by the metrics you shared)? If so, then look farther into it. If not, why does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by MicheleH View Post
    the phrases that send you the most traffic, are they moving up and down in the SERPs or are they getting different amounts of traffic each day?
    I don't have some phrases that bring a lot of traffic. One day a get traffic from 1000 phrases (maybe one visit per phrase), another one I get traffic from only 100 phrases.
    It looks like your site would be greatly influenced by what other people are talking about and what's a hot topic any given day.
    This coulb one of the problems.
    I also have a few sites where I see keyword phrases go up and down in the rankings as people post new blog entries.
    Another one, I've never thought about it, thanks.
    it's not a good idea to make your successful keywords available to the world and potential competitors.
    mmm.. I'm just havin fun.. I don't think someone will make a million dollars from my keys here ;-)
    Thank you very much for you're interesting notes.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Do you protect your website from poorly formed HTML in datafeeds?
    Could you please go deeper in that? What do you mean with "poorly formed"?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Vesperman View Post
    More important is traffic.
    Hi Patrick, that's my problem now.. after a month of up/down, July give me a flat graph: just 200 visitors/day. Now I regret the Up/Down things

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Have you run the W3C html validator on your website?
    I've tried but I get problems because of ads codes. I've try workin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by piemant View Post
    Could you please go deeper in that? What do you mean with "poorly formed"?
    Thank you
    Datafeeds are filled with junk. I'm not sure why some datafeeds have HTML in them, it makes no sense to me, but they do. What's worse is that sometimes it is poorly formed HTML with tags that aren't balanced, e.g. <div><div></div>

I think that sometimes programmers from merchants try to add or remove html programatically, but the original html may be generated by hand (e.g. a human). So this leads to unexpected error conditions. Imagine a simple regular expression to remove tags that doesn't take tag attributes into account, for instance. You might end up with:

<div class='xx'> with nothing else.

Personally, I strip all html out of feeds. Someone might try a program such as HTML tidy, or they might brute force HTML encode the result.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I've tried but I get problems because of ads codes. I've try workin on it.
    Yeah, last time I did it, I ended up saving a static version of my page, editing out the ajaxy junk, then submitting the source code.

None of my biggest competitor has passed W3C validation.. I'm in a doubt.

None of my biggest competitor has passed W3C validation.. I'm in a doubt.
    I run w3C validation to find badly formed HTML. It will also help your website play nicely with a wider range of browsers.

20. Thanks From:

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread